Underhood Heat Blanket Is it a Common Problem??? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Dadman1950
DC Crew

Member #119961

My Corvette(s)
2000 C5 FRC & 2005 C6 & 2012 Grand Sport Convertible

Garage
Underhood Heat Blanket Is it a Common Problem???

Looks like I need some help here. Hey Junkman can you shed some light on this? Sorry to pull you away from the C7 forum but I need some help and advice.
The thermal heat blanket on my C5 FRC is damaged only in the area directly over the alternator and I need to replace it. At sometime in its life (before I owned it) it appears that the Alternator damaged the blanket somehow - possibly rubbing or a frayed or broken belt. I'm not sure how, and was wondering if other C5 owners have had the same issue.
So I have a few questions:
First is it a common occurance for the Alternator to damage the heat blanket? If so what causes it? Is the blanket too thick there and presses on the alternator and as a result the alternator damages it by rubbing on it? Have other owners had to remove part of the blanket to prevent heat build up in the alternator? Obvisouly it is not a good idea to cover the alternator which would cause heat build up. Does the factory blanket (which is the one on it currently) cover it and cause heat build up in the alternator?
Second: Are there any tricks to removing the blanket? How do you remove the plastic buttons without breaking them? Is the factory installed heat blanket glued to the hood? I saw an aftermarket replacement where the installation procedures said to glue the pad on which I really didn't want to do. I did not buy that one, I bought a GM replacement. Need your help and please be specific. because when it comes to my mechanical ability I have difficulty replacing a fuse!!!!

Would also like to hear from others if they have also had the same issue or know of other issues with their heat blankets. Thanks
Dadman1950 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Paladin"
My 2000 FRC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
BWF07
DC Crew

Member #56168

My Corvette(s)
2007 Monterey Red coupe Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadman1950 View Post
Looks like I need some help here. Hey Junkman can you shed some light on this? Sorry to pull you away from the C7 forum but I need some help and advice.
The thermal heat blanket on my C5 FRC is damaged only in the area directly over the alternator and I need to replace it. At sometime in its life (before I owned it) it appears that the Alternator damaged the blanket somehow - possibly rubbing or a frayed or broken belt. I'm not sure how, and was wondering if other C5 owners have had the same issue.
First is it a common occurance for the Alternator to damage the heat blanket? If so what causes it? Is the blanket too thick there and presses on the alternator and as a result the alternator damages it by rubbing on it? Have other owners had to remove part of the blanket to prevent heat build up in the alternator? Obvisouly it is not a good idea to cover the alternator which would cause heat build up. Does the factory blanket (which is the one on it currently) cover it and cause heat build up in the alternator?
Second: Are there any tricks to removing the blanket? How do you remove the plastic buttons without breaking them? Is the factory installed heat blanket glued to the hood? I saw an aftermarket replacement where the installation procedures said to glue the pad on which I really didn't want to do. I did not buy that one, I bought a GM replacement. Need your help and please be specific. because when it comes to my mechanical ability I have difficulty replacing a fuse!!!!

Would also like to hear from others if they have also had the same issue or know of other issues with their heat blankets. Thanks
I cannot answer how it got damaged, but I owned a C5 for almost 7 years and had no issue with the alt. do any damage.
Now to removing the plastic tabs, I simply got my fingers under them and worked them back and forth while applying a little downward pressure. They all came out easily without breaking. Next, no it is not clued to the underside of the hood. I removed mine on a few times and never had an issue.
BWF07 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BWF07 For This Useful Post:
Dadman1950 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
First is it a common occurance for the Alternator to damage the heat blanket?
No.

Quote:
If so what causes it? Is the blanket too thick there and presses on the alternator and as a result the alternator damages it by rubbing on it? Have other owners had to remove part of the blanket to prevent heat build up in the alternator?
No, no, no, no, no.

Quote:
Obvisouly it is not a good idea to cover the alternator which would cause heat build up. Does the factory blanket (which is the one on it currently) cover it and cause heat build up in the alternator?
You are way off base in your assumption. None of what you are thinking has ever happened to anyone I know.

Quote:
Second: Are there any tricks to removing the blanket? How do you remove the plastic buttons without breaking them?
The easiest way is to get a fork tool that is used to remove door panels. Or you can just pull them out by hand. They won't break if you don't get crazy with them.

Quote:
Is the factory installed heat blanket glued to the hood?
No.

Quote:
I saw an aftermarket replacement where the installation procedures said to glue the pad on which I really didn't want to do.
I would like to see that link. I have NEVER heard of glue being a requirement.

Quote:
I did not buy that one, I bought a GM replacement. Need your help and please be specific. because when it comes to my mechanical ability I have difficulty replacing a fuse!!!!

You are worrying about something that is not an issue. Just pull the tabs out and replace the liner. It is best if someone helps you. The liner is too flimsy to be trying to install by yourself.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:
Dadman1950 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

I took the hood liner off on my C5 Z and tossed it in the trash. Never had any issues running without one and I raced it hard.

I later covered that area with motor oil.

Not intentionally, of course. The motor let go.
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I took the hood liner off on my C5 Z and tossed it in the trash. Never had any issues running without one and I raced it hard.

I later covered that area with motor oil.

Not intentionally, of course. The motor let go.
The hood liner would have not helped you in that case! But hey, you looked good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:
crazy68 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
glen_72
DC Crew

Member #46706

My Corvette(s)
1972, 454, 4 speed, w/air 1998 Bone Stock Coupe

Hello,
First Post in the C5 Section, just got a 98 Bone Stock Coupe daily driver two months ago and I have the underhood heat blanket with the alternator area kinda roughed up. This post calls it a heat blanket, but not sure the advantage of keeping the heat in, but maybe keeping the noise in?

I kinda figured this is caused by the EMF (Electromagnetic Field) from the alternator. I thought this EMF problem was common and would just happen again with a new shield. For what the shield does, I may just take a razor and cut off the pills this winter and call it good .

Anyway, attached is a picture of the problem. Best one I have check out the top left corner. Forgot how to insert a picture in the body of the post. In the middle of sanding out the targa. Up to 1500 grit, hope to be polishing soon. Heading back out to garage and try to figure out how to insert a picture later.

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Shield.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2698  
glen_72 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
A goal without a plan is just a wish
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
If you are talking about the damage to the hood liner, you are WAY OVER-THINKING THIS. Something, most likely a belt that broke, damaged the hood liner but it definitely wasn't a magnetic field. This is not rocket science so don't turn it into that. Just replace the hood liner and be done with it.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
The Bad
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #175

My Corvette(s)
*sold*75 Wht/Tan Cp*sold*94 Wht/Rd Cp Current: 02 EB/BLK Z06

Congrats on you 98!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_72 View Post
This post calls it a heat blanket, but not sure the advantage of keeping the heat in, but maybe keeping the noise in?
It protects your hood from the heat off the motor.
The Bad is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 Electron Blue Z06: Custom made partition, new stereo system, 5% tint, twin cone air intake system, shorty antenna, Exide Orbital battery, and chrome rims. -Brandon-

My Corvette story
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_72 View Post
Hello,

I kinda figured this is caused by the EMF (Electromagnetic Field) from the alternator. I thought this EMF problem was common and would just happen again with a new shield.

G
EMF reacting with cloth?

I have had this hoodliner for years - no EMF damage..

Choreo is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Hell, I wouldn't have spent $1200 on my hood liner if there was a chance of any kind of electromagnetic melt down of any type!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.