Advice for the Republicans in 2016 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Advice for the Republicans in 2016

One of the best movie clips of all time...just one word...demographics!

Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Sean Trende, who is probably the best election analyst going, has analyzed the numbers as available today. He says it is crystal clear that Obama won, not because his base came out -- 3 million fewer people voted for him than in 2008 -- but because white voters stayed home -- 7 million fewer whites voted than in 2008. He has a few guesses why, but it will take more time and poll analysis to be sure. He did find that urban and suburban whites voted in about the same numbers as 2008. The big drop was in rural America. He thinks maybe it's a combination of negative advertising in the swing states and the necessity for Romney to slip to the right in the primaries and back left for the general. Bottom line - he doesn't yet see a permanent Dem coalition. Interesting article.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...rs_116106.html
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
but because white voters stayed home -- 7 million fewer whites voted than in 2008.
7 million fewer whites = I could not vote for a Mormon
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
What about the felling of dispare and my vote doesn't matter thinggy ..

In my heart I don't believe being a Mormon had anything to do with it

I really think alot more people have given up that the President of the United States matters anymore. All last week when I found people who didn't vote said this. I would respond has there been a difference in our country in the last 4 years better or worse? They would repond well yes there is a difference, so I would again say So there was a difference between BWB and Obama so why would you not think there would be a differece between Obama and Romney..I would then get the look
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
I blame Bush.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I live deep in the Bible Belt. I am around evangelicals all the time. I never even heard discussion of Romney's Mormonism. I think that concept is a concoction of liberals that have no idea how religious people think. I think it is much more likely that many rural whites in swing states were swayed by the barrage of advertising. Rural whites are doing very poorly in the recession, and highlighting Romney's wealth might be a way to sour rural whites on his candidacy.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
I blame Bush.

walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
Sean Trende, who is probably the best election analyst going, has analyzed the numbers as available today. He says it is crystal clear that Obama won, not because his base came out -- 3 million fewer people voted for him than in 2008 -- but because white voters stayed home -- 7 million fewer whites voted than in 2008. He has a few guesses why, but it will take more time and poll analysis to be sure. He did find that urban and suburban whites voted in about the same numbers as 2008. The big drop was in rural America. He thinks maybe it's a combination of negative advertising in the swing states and the necessity for Romney to slip to the right in the primaries and back left for the general. Bottom line - he doesn't yet see a permanent Dem coalition. Interesting article.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...rs_116106.html
I said in an earlier post that Romney lost cause he pissed off to many people. He never had the black vote,he pissed off the Hispanic vote and they turned out in droves and he pissed off the union people then for shits and giggles he pissed off the Washington DC metro area which is gov./military. To many people pissed off ,no way to win
StillCrazy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Quote:
I live deep in the Bible Belt. I am around evangelicals all the time. I never even heard discussion of Romney's Mormonism. I think that concept is a concoction of liberals that have no idea how religious people think. I think it is much more likely that many rural whites in swing states were swayed by the barrage of advertising. Rural whites are doing very poorly in the recession, and highlighting Romney's wealth might be a way to sour rural whites on his candidacy.
Wow..that is encouraging to hear that evangelicals think that way. So that means there is a chance for Michael Bloomberg (a Jew) to run for President and be elected. And if not Bloomberg, maybe Bruce Springstein.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Wow..that is encouraging to hear that evangelicals think that way. So that means there is a chance for Michael Bloomberg (a Jew) to run for President and be elected. And if not Bloomberg, maybe Bruce Springstein.
Well, there IS a difference. Mormons are nominally Christians. So evenagelicals can identify with them. But honestly, being Jewish would not have the impact it had 40 years ago. On the other hand, if a candidate were Jewish, wouldn't it be highly likely he would be running as a Democrat?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
I said in an earlier post that Romney lost cause he pissed off to many people. He never had the black vote,he pissed off the Hispanic vote and they turned out in droves and he pissed off the union people then for shits and giggles he pissed off the Washington DC metro area which is gov./military. To many people pissed off ,no way to win
Face it. Romney was never going to get the black vote, hispanic vote or the union vote. Remember that little 47% debacle. He was talking about the people he was never going to attract and the fact he wasn't going to waste resources on them. He was correct in his strategy as far as that point. He needed an all-out white turn-out, and he didn't get it -- I think probably due to his wealth more than anything. Middle class whites just couldn't identify with him.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
.....He needed an all-out white turn-out.....
Dick Morris was saying something similar. If the Republican party keeps hoping that the "white vote" is going to propel them into the White House they will constantly find themselves in the same position they are now, WISHING they were in the White House. The demographic of the country has changed. And don't tell me that all minorities are in the "47%"...there are plenty of successful ones and it appears they voted for Obama too, overwhelmingly. So embrace the new landscape and evolve or become extinct.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Dick Morris was saying something similar. If the Republican party keeps hoping that the "white vote" is going to propel them into the White House they will constantly find themselves in the same position they are now, WISHING they were in the White House. The demographic of the country has changed. And don't tell me that all minorities are in the "47%"...there are plenty of successful ones and it appears they voted for Obama too, overwhelmingly. So embrace the new landscape and evolve or become extinct.
I agree completely. I have been saying for years that the GOP was wrong-headed in it's approach to illegal immigration. George Bush got it, and it helped him get elected. There needs to be a rational plan with emotion left at the door that will make a sensible path to citizenship for those already here - especially those who were brought here by parents. I believe that other than immigration, Hispanics have a natural better fit with the GOP which is high on family values, hard work and self sufficiency. The GOP will never attract more than a few percent of blacks, and nothing can change that. The only problem with moving to the left on immigration issues is that no matter how far the Pubs move the left, Dems will stay to their left by proposing even more liberal policies. But I would like to see the GOP get real about this issue.

P.S. Dick Morris? I normally think the guy is very smart. But he predicted a landslide for Romney with 330 electoral votes. Uh-Oh.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
P.S. Dick Morris? I normally think the guy is very smart. But he predicted a landslide for Romney with 330 electoral votes. Uh-Oh.
He's got egg in his face and he's admitted it.

His calculations assumed turnout like 2010. He overestimated white voter turnout, they didn't show up, and underestimated liberal turnout. Although liberal turnout was lower than 2008, it was still higher than he expected this year.

That said, it sucks to be him right now.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
He's got egg in his face and he's admitted it.

His calculations assumed turnout like 2010. He overestimated white voter turnout, they didn't show up, and underestimated liberal turnout. Although liberal turnout was lower than 2008, it was still higher than he expected this year.

That said, it sucks to be him right now.
He also underestimated the minority turn out. The Republicans better find a way to broaden that tent...for real...or, like I said, become largely irrelevant.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.