Hamas Military Commander Killed - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Hamas Military Commander Killed

The message: donít promote terrorism in Israel. An Israeli airstrike has killed Ahmed al-Jabari, the head of Hamasís military wing. Jabari was reportedly traveling in a car in Gaza City when the vehicle exploded. He is the seniormost Hamas official to be killed in Gaza in four years, and his death comes just days after Israeli officials said that they were considering assassinating senior figures in Hamas. Israelís security service said in a statement, ďHe was the senior commander of the Hamas military wing in the Gaza Strip. As part of his status and activity, Jabari was responsible in the last decade for all terrorist activities against Israel from Gaza.Ē

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...er-killed.html

------------------------------------------------------------

When I worked for Motorola, I had 2 Motorola engineers from Israel who were friends of mine. They would come visit me from time to time here in the US. On one such visit, I commented on how relieved they must feel when visiting the USA because of all the killing going on around the Gaza Strip (they lived and worked about 3 miles from that location). Imagine how shocked I was to hear them say that it was the other way around. As they explained it to me, our freedoms are what allows our infrastructure to be penetrated by those who wish to push evil upon us. The fact that we have so many rights keep us from being as protected as we could be. As they see it, this makes our country weak and the ability to protect the US citizen is hindered by those very freedoms.

I was dumbfounded when they explained it to me but the shocking thing was after I thought about it, it made perfect sense. This story (as well as a lot of news coming out of Israel), shows that what they believe has some credence. The government there is like, "A terrorist... kill him!" Bang you're dead. If they discover that they were wrong, then "My bad, so sad." But if they are right, "Bam! Got your ass before you could do anything (else) bad against our country!"

I never realized how much freedom cost until they explained their perspective to me. It's pretty profound.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
C5sarge
DC Crew

Member #105729

My Corvette(s)
09 Coupe

The Israeli's don't play when it comes to defending themselves. I respect where they are coming from. We pulled into Haifa for a port of call during my Navy days. Good people but I wouldn't want to piss them off. Glad we support them. They are an island surrounded by people that want to kill them. Can you blame them?
C5sarge is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Attack life fully armed" " Navy Vet"
93 Torch Red Coupe - Sold
01 Torch Red Vert - Traded
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
The message: donít promote terrorism in Israel. An Israeli airstrike has killed Ahmed al-Jabari, the head of Hamasís military wing. Jabari was reportedly traveling in a car in Gaza City when the vehicle exploded. He is the seniormost Hamas official to be killed in Gaza in four years, and his death comes just days after Israeli officials said that they were considering assassinating senior figures in Hamas. Israelís security service said in a statement, ďHe was the senior commander of the Hamas military wing in the Gaza Strip. As part of his status and activity, Jabari was responsible in the last decade for all terrorist activities against Israel from Gaza.Ē

When I worked for Motorola, I had 2 Motorola engineers from Israel who were friends of mine. They would come visit me from time to time here in the US. On one such visit, I commented on how relieved they must feel when visiting the USA because of all the killing going on around the Gaza Strip (they lived and worked about 3 miles from that location). Imagine how shocked I was to hear them say that it was the other way around. As they explained it to me, our freedoms are what allows our infrastructure to be penetrated by those who wish to push evil upon us. The fact that we have so many rights keep us from being as protected as we could be. As they see it, this makes our country weak and the ability to protect the US citizen is hindered by those very freedoms.

I was dumbfounded when they explained it to me but the shocking thing was after I thought about it, it made perfect sense. This story (as well as a lot of news coming out of Israel), shows that what they believe has some credence. The government there is like, "A terrorist... kill him!" Bang you're dead. If they discover that they were wrong, then "My bad, so sad." But if they are right, "Bam! Got your ass before you could do anything (else) bad against our country!"

I never realized how much freedom cost until they explained their perspective to me. It's pretty profound.
Dang, you ARE on the path to Tea Partydom.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5sarge View Post
The Israeli's don't play when it comes to defending themselves. I respect where they are coming from. We pulled into Haifa for a port of call during my Navy days. Good people but I wouldn't want to piss them off. Glad we support them. They are an island surrounded by people that want to kill them. Can you blame them?
I can't blame them at all and the thing that anyone who has never traveled outside the USA will find hard to believe is that I could easily adapt to living in a country like that. What I found out while abroad is that you realize why people think the way they do when what they have is all they know. I find that their lifestyle can be a lot simpler than the what we live here. In the US, people are consumed with keeping up with the Jones'. Some of the places I went and saw, people were just trying to keep up with the next meal they were going to sit down to. I'm sure we have a lot of Gulf War veterans who can relate to seeing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Dang, you ARE on the path to Tea Partydom.
You see, this is what I get for hanging out with you guys in the news room. I feel like Agent Smith from the Matrix. I have been infected by this something that you all have and my mind and body wants to fight it and embrace it at the same time!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
MayZ
DC Crew

Member #73924

My Corvette(s)
2008 Z06

Quote:
The Israeli's are no joke . . .
At least they warned Hamas to lay off the rockets.

In this clip you could hear the missile come in right before the Kia Forte SX goes bye bye.

Quote:
Being a Marine, I think you do know the cost. Thanks for your service.
MayZ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MAYZ

2008 Z06 Black/Ebony
2LZ, Comp Grey Wheels
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Damn, Israel knows how to conduct a pissing contest!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Obama has to get on top of this ASAP.. Egypt is threatening to get into the fray. Nothing good for the US, can come from what is going on over there.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayZ View Post
Being a Marine, I think you do know the cost. Thanks for your service.
Semper Fi.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
GhostShadow
DC Crew

Member #117913

My Corvette(s)
It fell off a cliff...

Not to play devils advocate, but a lot of the problems they are faced with are because of their actions in the past.

Israel is not angelic in the way they do things, not even close. Anyone care to guess where the Jews from Israel came from, what country, before they were awarded the land of Isreal? They did the same to the Golan heights as they want to do with the Gaza. The only difference is that Golan heights was not a strategic military hold so they bombed the place before they gave it back.

imagine if the Mexico was awarded land from a foreign entity to take land from Texas? What would Texas do?

Wait Mexicans are already taking land.
GhostShadow is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShadow View Post
Not to play devils advocate, but a lot of the problems they are faced with are because of their actions in the past.

Israel is not angelic in the way they do things, not even close. Anyone care to guess where the Jews from Israel came from, what country, before they were awarded the land of Isreal? They did the same to the Golan heights as they want to do with the Gaza. The only difference is that Golan heights was not a strategic military hold so they bombed the place before they gave it back.

imagine if the Mexico was awarded land from a foreign entity to take land from Texas? What would Texas do?

Wait Mexicans are already taking land.
Syria was doing the exact same thing back then as Hamas is doing now. Constant shelling and rocket barrages.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShadow View Post
... Wait Mexicans are already taking land.
You just had to go there, now didn't you!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Phantom01

Member #88149

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport/91 Corvette/68 Corvette

After living in Qatar and Afghanistan, along with visiting U.A.E, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Bahrain. You really do see how life is different along with the best and worst of the Muslim world. I understand where Israel is trying to do and keep from their people dying from random acts of violence. We have only had a few incidents of terrorism inside our borders. Israel has had a lot more and their laws and rules bend that way to protect their people.
Phantom01 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2010 Black A6 Grand Sport- Borla Stingers/X-Pipe, SLP Blackwing Air Intake: 427 RWHP

2007 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

1991 Black Manual Coupe - Magnaflow Cat-Back

1968 327 Corvette 4 Speed
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
GhostShadow
DC Crew

Member #117913

My Corvette(s)
It fell off a cliff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
Syria was doing the exact same thing back then as Hamas is doing now. Constant shelling and rocket barrages.

Internationally recognized as Syrian territory, the Golan Heights has been occupied and administered by Israel since 1967.[1] It was captured during the 1967 Six-Day War, establishing the Purple Line.[12]
On 19 June 1967, the Israeli cabinet voted to return the Golan to Syria in exchange for a peace agreement. Such overtures were dismissed by the Arab world with the Khartoum Resolution on September 1, 1967.[13][14] In the aftermath of the 1973 Yom Kippur War, Israel agreed to return about 5% of the territory to Syrian civilian control. This part was incorporated into a demilitarised zone that runs along the ceasefire line and extends eastward. This strip is under the military control of UN peace keeping forces.
Construction of Israeli settlements began in the remainder of the territory held by Israel, which was governed under military administration until 1981, when Israel passed the Golan Heights Law extending Israeli law and administration throughout the territory.[15] This move was condemned by the United Nations Security Council in UN Resolution 497,[16][17] which said that "the Israeli decision to impose its laws, jurisdiction and administration in the occupied Syrian Golan Heights is null and void and without international legal effect." Israel asserts it has a right to retain the Golan, citing the text of UN Resolution 242, which calls for "safe and recognised boundaries free from threats or acts of force".[18] However, the international community rejects Israeli claims to title to the territory and regards it as sovereign Syrian territory.[1][19][20]
Israeli Prime Ministers Yitzhak Rabin, Ehud Barak, and Ehud Olmert each stated that they were willing to exchange the Golan for peace with Syria. Approximately 10% of Syrian Golan Druze have accepted Israeli citizenship.[21] According to the CIA World Factbook, as of 2010, "there are 41 Israeli settlements and civilian land use sites in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights."[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golan_Heights

The Syrians are angry because Israel invaded their land and took a valuable piece of land, at least in their eyes and the world just watched and did nothing. Israel would be backed by USA if Syrians declared war on them. Half of our problems are because we back Israel without questioning their motives. 25% of foreign aid goes to Israel.

Not only did the Israelis give Golan Heights back, they destroyed the town to nothing before leaving.

I have read many of your posts, and I know you have a deeper understanding of how things are not so black and white.

Quote:
You just had to go there, now didn't you!

Awe cmon Junkman you know I had to stoke the fires a little bit. This is the news room after all.

<------ How I see myself
GhostShadow is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
VetteUSA
I have poor impulse control.

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)
'93 LT1 Coupe (2005 - 2011). '08 CTS (Now)

Quote:

personally I'd only have one reply to what they said... I'd rather die free than live a slave. Interesting that that was their viewpoint though.

or in more relevant terms during a conversation like that, I'd rather die for what I have than live for what others push upon me.

U.S.A.
VetteUSA is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteUSA View Post
personally I'd only have one reply to what they said... I'd rather die free than live a slave. Interesting that that was their viewpoint though.

or in more relevant terms during a conversation like that, I'd rather die for what I have than live for what others push upon me.

U.S.A.
I completely understand where you are coming from, however, their response caught me off guard and made me seriously think about their point of view. Also, keep in mind that this is the way they have been taught since birth so it's really all they knew. I found it to be a very interesting point of view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.