Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters

Wow, have we not learned anything after the elections?

By ASHLEY PARKER

Saying that he and his team still felt “troubled” by his loss to President Obama, Mitt Romney on Wednesday attributed his defeat in part to what he called big policy “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call with fund-raisers and donors to his campaign, Mr. Romney said Wednesday afternoon that the president had followed the “old playbook” of using targeted initiatives to woo specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people.”

“In each case, they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said, contrasting Mr. Obama’s strategy to his own of “talking about big issues for the whole country: military strategy, foreign policy, a strong economy, creating jobs and so forth.”

Mr. Romney’s comments in the 20-minute conference call came after his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, told WISC-TV in Madison on Monday that their loss was a result of Mr. Obama’s strength in “urban areas,” an analysis that did not account for Mr. Obama’s victories in more rural states like Iowa and New Hampshire or the decrease in the number of votes for the president relative to 2008 in critical urban counties in Ohio.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest was a big gift,” Mr. Romney said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he said, was also a useful tool in mobilizing black and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers: 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge,” Mr. Romney said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

Nationwide, Mr. Obama won a slightly smaller share of 18- to 29-year-old voters than he did in 2008, according to exit polls, though he increased his share in battleground states like Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Exit polls showed little appreciable difference between Mr. Obama’s performance among black voters nationwide and in many swing states in this election and in 2008. Among Hispanic voters nationwide, Mr. Obama won a greater share in 2012 than in 2008, but perhaps more important, he succeeded in increasing the share of Hispanic voters among the total voting population in key states, including Colorado and Nevada, exit polls showed.

During the call, Mr. Romney was by turns disappointed and pragmatic, expressing his frustration at the outcome on Election Day. A person who was on the call, which included hundreds of participants, let The New York Times listen in.

“I’m very sorry that we didn’t win,” Mr. Romney said on the call. “I know that you expected to win, we expected to win, we were disappointed with the result, we hadn’t anticipated it, and it was very close, but close doesn’t count in this business.”

He continued: “And so now we’re looking and saying, ‘O.K., what can we do going forward?’ But frankly, we’re still so troubled by the past, it’s hard to put together our plans for the future.”

He added that he was hoping to find a way for the close-knit group, which excelled in fund-raising but was ultimately unable to propel him into the Oval Office, “to stay connected so that we can stay informed and have influence on the direction of the party, and perhaps the selection of a future nominee, which, by the way, will not be me.” (He suggested an annual meeting, as well as a monthly newsletter.)

In a news conference of his own Wednesday, Mr. Obama, asked if he still planned to meet with Mr. Romney for a postelection discussion, spoke positively of his former opponent, saying that he “did a terrific job of running the Olympics,” and that he appreciated Mr. Romney’s ideas on government efficiency.

“I’m not either prejudging what he’s interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I’ve got some specific assignment,” the president said, when asked about Mr. Romney. “But what I want to do is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-young-voters/
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Funny how the group who claims to own the notion of "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" and "taking responsibility for yourself and not blaming the system"... funny how they have soooo many excuses and reasons for losing!
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Kind of funny to see them poke fun at Ryan's saying Obama prevailed in "urban areas" - they even put it in quotes. They said it doesn't explain his wins in rural states like Iowa. Well, just take any state and look at the red/blue by county. In almoste every case, the entire state will be red except around the high population centers. There are a few exceptions like along the Texas border. But even California and New York have far more red counties than blue. But the blue counties have the bulk of the people. Just sayin'....Ryan was correct, and the writer probably knows it.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
92Roadster

Member #36181

.....I was blown away by the number of electoral votes Obama
got, I just can't get over the fact that whom decides who will
be President is #1 electoral college, #2 house of reps,
#3 popular votes, if that is the way it flows, I say screw the
first 2 and should be just by popular votes period.....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (sold); 2002 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
.....I was blown away by the number of electoral votes Obama
got, I just can't get over the fact that whom decides who will
be President is #1 electoral college, #2 house of reps,
#3 popular votes, if that is the way it flows, I say screw the
first 2 and should be just by popular votes period.....
IF it simply went to popular vote, the candidate would never visit most of the states. There are not enough people in them to make a difference. They would spend all there time focus on the most densely populated areas of America and only their voice would be representative. Votes and voices from Alaska and much of the Midwest would be simply ignored. The population centers of New York (New England areas), Chicago, Los Angeles (Orange County, CA areas), Miami, and Orlando would be the highest visited and valued. Without an electoral college states with lower populations would simply not count at all. BTW, Obama received both the electoral vote and popular vote in this election, so the outcome would not have changed.
ddregehr is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

During the election, I was wondering how we ended up with the electoral college. It just didn't make sense to me. So, I went to trusty Wikepedia and found that when the founders were writing the constitution, there were two camps on how to vote: About half thought that the non-elite were not smart enough to be allowed to vote, so they wanted congress to elect the president. The other half wanted a truer democracy where at least white men got to vote. They were at an impasse, and someone came up with this compromise - individual voters would cast their ballots and electors would be sent from each state, with the numbers based on their congressional representation. The assumption was that these electors would be selected from the elite in the state, and if the masses went too far off base, the electors could correct it. There have been numerous attempts by congress to change the law in the last 200 years, but it would take a constitutional amendment which requires approval of 3/4 of the states - a very difficult thing to do. That is why we still live with this compromise that doesn't make much sense for our era.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
92Roadster

Member #36181

*****but does it really matter if a canidate vists your
state, it's all bullshit anyways....

*****I have never been to a canidate rally in my life
and don't plan or starting now....

*****if you want to impress me just go on TV with some
ad's with boobs and what not's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddregehr View Post
IF it simply went to popular vote, the candidate would never visit most of the states. There are not enough people in them to make a difference. They would spend all there time focus on the most densely populated areas of America and only their voice would be representative. Votes and voices from Alaska and much of the Midwest would be simply ignored. The population centers of New York (New England areas), Chicago, Los Angeles (Orange County, CA areas), Miami, and Orlando would be the highest visited and valued. Without an electoral college states with lower populations would simply not count at all. BTW, Obama received both the electoral vote and popular vote in this election, so the outcome would not have changed.
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Our fore father's had foresight. They should get more credit for looking to the future than they get now. There is a reason we live in the longest running Republic.

This is how I was sorta learned on this

Say New York city was populated by people with only big ears. Their population continue to expand to over have the population of the United States but only lived in (2) states. All the big eared people would get together and decide to only vote for one person. That’s why they came up with the Electoral College. The problem now is all the big cities across the country are mostly populated by big government minded people who believe that our government should supply us with everything we need and vote for the one guy. It’s not the system it’s the mind set
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddregehr View Post
Good point.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
MayZ
DC Crew

Member #73924

My Corvette(s)
2008 Z06

IMO, Romney is missing an opportunity to remain relevant in the GOP, even if only in a supporting role. Hell he can still raise money from his NASCAR owner friends or the Red Sox owners.

That being said, he should have learned by now there are some around him determined to bring him down. Even his party is he real good right now:

Here are some of their comments:

“There is no Romney wing in the party that he needs to address,” said Ed Rogers, a longtime Republican strategist. “He never developed an emotional foothold within the GOP so he can exit the stage anytime and no one will mourn.”

Added Chris LaCivita, a senior party operative: “The comment just reinforced a perception — fairly or not – that Romney, and by default, the GOP are the party of the ‘exclusives’. It’s time for us to move on and focus on the future leaders within the GOP.”

Speaking of those future leaders, several of the candidates talked about as 2016 presidential possibilities quickly condemned Romney’s comments as well.

“We have got to stop dividing American voters,” said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. “I absolutely reject that notion, that description … We’re fighting for 100 percent of the vote.” Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker added that the Republican party isn’t “just for people who are currently not dependent on the government.”

GOP . . . Where's the Love

Oh! Here she is . . .
http://www.deseretnews.com/images/ar...04/1036704.jpg

In the words of Steely Dan
And when you smile for the camera . . . I luv you betta
MayZ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MAYZ

2008 Z06 Black/Ebony
2LZ, Comp Grey Wheels
Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayZ View Post
... In the words of Steely Dan
And when you smile for the camera . . . I luv you betta
Great song.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Great song.
What are you doing here?

It's thursday evening, gotta be ladies night somewhere..

Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you; when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice; you may know that your society is doomed." – Ayn Rand
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
What are you doing here?

It's thursday evening, gotta be ladies night somewhere..

She just left. You'll have to PM me for the pictures.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
She just left. You'll have to PM me for the pictures.

Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you; when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice; you may know that your society is doomed." – Ayn Rand
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
randyn
DC Crew

Member #13118

let's call it like it is. The country is split, plain and simple. Something dramatic will have to happen to re-shape this country. This trend of entitlement will just continue as people are held to be responsible for themselves. The country is split between relying upon or being responsible for your self. Whether Romney is insensitive or not may be an issue, the fact remains he is correct. The problem is bigger than what do Republicans need to do...The real problem is that most people don't care. The fact that Obama won so easily makes a huge statement regarding the people of our country. As a group americans have lost their pride and thrown in the towel. Obama gave suffering and desperate people a rope, hope for change. he was right.

The question is? How do you convince people to go work hard for something once they have been given something. To be honest the country is on the way to being a loser. Hell, they gave up.

That is why something drastic has to happen. If the Unite States did go broke and the entitlement stopped, future generations would have to learn how to provide for themselves. Hey, wait a minute, we are back to the start of America. Freedom is only as good as the people who have it.

Good luck America!
randyn is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.