Charlie Brown now under attack - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Charlie Brown now under attack

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...christmas.html

A stage version of the beloved holiday classic “A Charlie Brown Christmas” has sparked a constitutional controversy at a Little Rock, Ark. grade school.

Students at Terry Elementary School had been invited to attend an upcoming performance of the show at Agape Church. Teachers sent home letters informing parents that a school bus would shuttle children to and from the school-day show.

Pamela Smith, the communications director for the Little Rock School District, told Fox News that students were not required to attend the performance and as far as the district is concerned – there is no controversy.

“The teachers wanted to provide an opportunity for cultural enrichment for students through a holiday production and are supported by the principal,” Smith said. “Because it will be held at a church, as some public events often are, a letter was sent home with students so parents who took exception and wished to have their children remain at school could do so.”

She said to date no parent has expressed an concerns to the school principal.

However, at least one parent objected to the field trip and contacted the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers, a self-described community of atheists, agnostics and humanists.
“The problem is that it’s got religious content and it’s being performed in a religious venue and that doesn’t just blur the line between church and state — it oversteps it entirely,” attorney Anne Orsi told Arkansas Matters. “We’re not saying anything bad about Charlie Brown.”

Orsi is vice-president of the organization. She told television station KNWA that the concerned parent did not want to be identified.

“The parents that we know in this this situation are reluctant to speak up because they are concerned about their kids being singled out and bullied,” she told the television station.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” was the first prime-time animated television special featuring the Peanuts characters. It touched on the over-commercialization of Christmas and reminded viewers of the true meaning of the season.

The show features a poignant moment when Linus recites passages of scripture from the Gospel of Luke — noting the birth of Jesus Christ.

“And that’s what Christmas is all about,” Linus said.

“While everyone loves Charlie Brown, the religious content of the program is a problem, as is the trip to a church to see it,” Orsi wrote on the group’s Facebook page. “Oddly enough, not all kids at the school are Christian, and their parents don’t want them singled out as ‘different.’ Who’d a thunk it?”

Smith told Fox News the school district does not “promote or encourage students to support any religious affiliation.”

--------------------------------------------
What the heck do people think Christmas is all about?
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

I don't under stand these fucking Atheists, I don't criticize there beliefs. Why do the think they can stick their nose in every one Else's. If they really believe there is no God, then this should appear as just another fictional show to them.

Or is it the they really have the fear they are wrong and feel the need to beat every one else down to their level, so they won't be in hell by them self. If thats the case they don't have to worry because there is no chance they will be alone.
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

OK, I'm going to try to be even-minded on this even though I think these people are being too sensitive. I understand that non-Christian parents would feel concern that their children might be singled out if they choose not to participate. But the rational response I think a parent should have is let them participate. A Charlie Brown Christmas isn't going to warp anyone, and setting foot in a church is not going to warp anyone. Christmas is fun for kids and they generally don't care much about the religious implications anyway. If the country was 70% Muslim and schools wanted to have a mostly secular children's play at a mosque, I would be happy for my kids to go see it. These people need to lighten up.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Texdentist For This Useful Post:
fieldskr (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
OK, I'm going to try to be even-minded on this even though I think these people are being too sensitive. I understand that non-Christian parents would feel concern that their children might be singled out if they choose not to participate. But the rational response I think a parent should have is let them participate. A Charlie Brown Christmas isn't going to warp anyone, and setting foot in a church is not going to warp anyone. Christmas is fun for kids and they generally don't care much about the religious implications anyway. If the country was 70% Muslim and schools wanted to have a mostly secular children's play at a mosque, I would be happy for my kids to go see it. These people need to lighten up.
Maybe the Athiest are afraid of being struck down by lightning if they set foot too close to church...just say'n
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
The Following User Says Thank You to Poncherello For This Useful Post:
fieldskr (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

Yes, society should keep pandering to morons.
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
fieldskr

Member #51444

My Corvette(s)
06 Machine Silver Z06 (Sold) 05 Arctic White Coupe (Sold)

I've always admired this man's wisdom and his eloquence. Even when he's calling roll...Bueller, Bueller, Bueller? I think Mr. Stein has hit the nail on the head. Please read.

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejewelled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, “Merry Christmas” to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a crib, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her: “How could God let something like this happen?” (regarding Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said: “I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?”

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbour as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit.

If not, then just discard it.... no one will know you did. But if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein
fieldskr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul...can always depend on the support of Paul.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

"I'm really easy to get along with once you learn to see things my way"

"INTEGRITY first, SERVICE before self, and EXCELLENCE in all we do".
The Following User Says Thank You to fieldskr For This Useful Post:
C4forlife (11-20-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
I think these people are being too sensitive.
As someone who doesn't believe in Religion, it seems that everyone is overly sensitive. Our society is becoming more and more polarized in every way...not just religion. I do wonder what would be the sentiments of Christians if kids attending a problem that mentioned Muhammed??

As for prayers on school and that other non-sense, I guess your interpretation of the "state" of schools would all depend on who you are. The problem when it comes to "God", is that everyone seems to know what "God" wants, is up to, has planned etc. More killing, subjugation, depravity, debauchery and wickedness have been commited in "God's" name than anything in this world. All because us humans think we know him/her.

I agree 100% with Ben Stein on how things should be.... but then, a lot of things "Should be".

Imho, too many people stand around waiting for "God" to do something, instead of using the faculties he game them to do the work.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.