C7 competition - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

C7 competition

GT-R:

Quote:
NASHVILLE -- Nissan Motor Corp. has re-engineered the 2014 GT-R to squeeze out another 15 hp -- boosting the output of its 3.8-liter twin turbo V-6 engine to 545 hp.

That is nearly twice the muscle of Nissan's 2013 Maxima V-6 sports sedan.

The GT-R supercar also receives another 15 pounds-feet of torque next year, increasing to 463 pounds-feet.

Nissan will pull the wraps off the re-engineered four-passenger sports coupe Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The United States has become the largest market for the car.

Though production of the GT-R is tightly controlled, U.S. sales are forecast to rise 24 percent to about 1,440 during the current fiscal year ending March 31, 2013, says Carl Phillips, the GT-R's North American chief marketing manager.

Sales of the car have dropped 12 percent to 1,054 this year through October.The GT-R is assembled in Japan on a craft centerlike production line and U.S. dealers have lobbied Nissan to hike output.

The GT-R receives new fuel injectors for 2014 intended to improve acceleration at mid- and high-rpm ranges, and hand-stitched red semi-aniline leather seats.
But expanding production is a delicate challenge, Phillips adds.

The 2014 GT-R will come with a rear spoiler that is handmade using a rare weave of carbon fiber.

Each V-6 engine from the Tochigi, Japan, assembly line is hand built by a single technician. Starting in 2014, each car will bear an engine plate displaying the name of the technician who built it.

The car receives new fuel injectors for 2014 intended to improve acceleration at mid- and high-rpm ranges, and hand-stitched red semi-aniline leather seats.

The model will go on sale in early 2013 in two packages -- Premium and the Black Edition. Pricing has not been released. The 2013 Premium version starts at $97,820 and the Black Edition starts at $107,320. Prices include shipping.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz2DSs4Uqss

...and another source:

Quote:
0-62 mph acceleration time of the 2014 Nissan GT-R has dropped even further. According to Nissan, the 2014 GT-R is able to get from nought to 62 mph (100 km/h) in just 2.7 seconds, which is 0.1 seconds faster than its predecessor. The Japanese carmaker say that the 2014 Nissan GT-R is more stable than before, and that it managed to lap the Nurburgring in 7 min 19.1 seconds in May last year. The car was still in testing at that time, so the finished product might be faster. Nissan expects
the 2014 GT-R to able to lap the "Green Hell" in 7 min and 18.6 seconds.

But it still looks like a GT-R:
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Boy...0-62 in 2.7 sec and a fast Ring time... that's impressive. But it still looks about as fast as a turd.
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

Just bad looking.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Did you see their marketing spin?

Quote:
Though production of the GT-R is tightly controlled, U.S. sales are forecast to rise 24 percent to about 1,440 ...
Why are tight controls needed when ...

Quote:
Sales of the car have dropped 12 percent to 1,054 this year through October.
And with the US it's largest market, there just aren't many being produced, period. It will be interesting to see if they can actually increase sales 24% by adding 15 HP. I'm certainly not their target customer, but will 25% more folks look at the article and say, "WOW! 15 more HP!! Gotta get me one of them today!"

That said, yes, the 2.7 0-60 is very impressive.
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Part of the reason we buy these cars is because of the styling (OK Longtimer...no C7/Camaro tail light comments ). I mentioned in a previous post I finally saw one of these at Mid-Ohio this year. The GT-R looks like it should be sitting next to a Civic or a Camry in a sales lot. It is just one boring looking car. Fast, but very bland. The go-fast engineers get an A+, but the styling engineers must have let the interns work on this one.
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

GT-R prices have risen significantly with only minor changes to the car.

Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

They have been optimizing the car and I think its impressive with how much they have been able to do with that car. Consider that it is a nose heavy car at 53/47 and it comes in at 3,829 pounds its not a light car.

Really the computer controlled AWD system and the 7 speed DSG really save this car. Take away the computer controls for the AWD system and replace the DSG with a traditional manual gearbox and this car would suck badly. It amounts to a slightly less nose heavy Mustang GT500 with less power (but better suspension design).

Also edmund's inside line did lap the Z06 faster around a track then the 2013 Nissan GTR and Nissan GTR fans were upset. How can this American built leaf springed plastic fantastic be able to out lap the greatest thing in the auto world?. Not all is what it seems.....
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
GT-R prices have risen significantly with only minor changes to the car.

They probably priced the car originally expecting to sell 10k-15k units per year (or more?), but the real demand required ever increasing pricing to cover the higher costs of such low volume. We call that Viper-itis.
DC Sponsors

Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

They control production to keep pricing high. The Vett will not come close to the 0-60 time. I suspect the Ring time will be close on the base Vett and the Z's should be better. The reason I say that is because GM has supposedly focused on the dynamics of the car so much. The zl1 did it in 7:41 and that was in a heavier car whith a chasis that wasn't really designed for it.
The C7 should be only slightly worse in hp/lb than the Zl1 and the latest gen MRC and PTMS can improve the car quite a bit. I would think the base car with MRC should be good for a ring time at least in the 7:25-7:35 range.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
They control production to keep pricing high.
So you're saying they are turning people away at the showroom because they are "controlling production," yet sales in their biggest market (the US) dropped 12%. Sorry not buying that. It's lusted after by a demographic that does not have the $$ to buy it in volumes Nissan had anticipated - or when it's time to sign on the line, they choose to buy something else. Regardless, it's a great halo car for their engineering reputation.

I completely agree with the rest of your post. Without tubbing and 15" slicks, the front mid / rear drive Corvette can never match the 0-60 times of even some lesser HP rear, rear-mid engine, or AWD cars. The weight behind the driver is a traction advantage that only four traction patches can match or exceed. It's just physics and execution.
DC Sponsors

Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
So you're saying they are turning people away at the showroom because they are "controlling production," yet sales in their biggest market (the US) dropped 12%. Sorry not buying that. It's lusted after by a demographic that does not have the $$ to buy it in volumes Nissan had anticipated - or when it's time to sign on the line, they choose to buy something else. Regardless, it's a great halo car for their engineering reputation.

I completely agree with the rest of your post. Without tubbing and 15" slicks, the front mid / rear drive Corvette can never match the 0-60 times of even some lesser HP rear, rear-mid engine, or AWD cars. The weight behind the driver is a traction advantage that only four traction patches can match or exceed. It's just physics and execution.
Oh I also agree on those points, but they are not going to let them pile up on lots either. They keep inventory low so they can justify keeping them at sticker and make it seem more "iconic". I'm not saying they are turning people away, they just don't maintain any inventory. You won't find 20 of them sitting on a lot anywhere. More than likley only 1 maybe 2.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I'm not saying they are turning people away, they just don't maintain any inventory. You won't find 20 of them sitting on a lot anywhere. More than likley only 1 maybe 2.
I think we are in agreement. They are not trying to artificially drive up the price by undersupplying demand. But they are not producing to some inflated forecast resulting in idle inventory. In other words, they have good inventory control practices that match production to demand.

The bottom line then, is that the 12% decrease in sales is a real reflection of consumer demand for the car at, or around, the current asking price.

Reducing volumes result in higher cost of components, which result in higher pricing, which result in reduced volumes, which result in higher cost of components, which results in higher pricing, etc. Viper-itis.
DC Sponsors

Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Personally, I think the hype for the GT-R is gone, as well as the "gotta have it" factor. The car has gone relatively unchanged, yet has gone up nearly $40,000. Yikes.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
Personally, I think the hype for the GT-R is gone, as well as the "gotta have it" factor. The car has gone relatively unchanged, yet has gone up nearly $40,000. Yikes.
Well they had to pay for all the trans issues some how lol
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

I recently purchased a 2013 GT-R, as I've never had one and thought it might be interesting, and with Blizzak tires, usable as a winter-beater. Driving AWD cars with some power in snow is about as fun as anything!

The GT-R's weak sales are a function of alot of things, I think, including

-alot of misleading hype and spin piled around the car by Nissan, which puts off alot of people
-almost total lack of recognition on the road, nobody knows what it is when I drive it, its as invisible on the road as a regular old nice car.
-alot of concern and hype around Nissan warranty voiding and other shady practices
-lets be real, while the car is very interesting to look at and striking by itself, when surrounded with other supercars its plain boring to look at.

Its performance is nothing mysterious, in a straight line that wild 0-60 time is a function of extremely low gearing and AWD grip and a very very well sorted launch control function. Its the low gearing that makes it fast.

It feels no faster than a C6 Z06 from, say, 35 mph or so assuming that the C6Z then hooks up. But a C6 Z06 on the street has no grip all too often.

As for lap times, its generally good performances are a function of very sticky tires - the OEM tires throw debris at the car just like R compound tires, very very stiff suspension, and a well sorted AWD system. But keep in mind that once the Z06 got sticky tires, it has generally beat the GT-R in most all comparisons for lap times. Lightning lap, Nurburgring (despite the GT-R getting far, far more practice at the 'ring), Motor Trends Best Drivers Car (a pretty bad beating there), and on and on and on.

The GT-R has never been a miracle of performance, and all wheel drive is not necessarily a miraculous contributor to lap times. The GT-R is very cleverly engineered, using extremely low gearing for a car in this category to jerk its heavy self off the line at an amazing rate, then that dual-clutch tranny to shift through those very tight first-3 gears without slowing the cars acceleration or having it go off boost during shifts.

And its a greatly fun car to drive, nowhere near as hairy and scary as a C6Z, but also not as buttoned down and predictable as an lp560-4. And using the launch control is a complete blast, just a ton of fun. I launch it all the time and then check what my max forward acceleration g-force was.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.