Feeling C7 optimism, and some predictions... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Feeling C7 optimism, and some predictions...

Like many 'Vette lovers, watching the C7 news pour out has been a fairly gut-wrenching experience. Camaro-rear nightmares, and for me mostly "still no proper paddle shifted transmission" nightmares. To me thats a huge deal, they would be 20-25 years YEARS behind the competition by the time one debuted on a 'Vette if we had to wait for the C8. 1/4 century. Also, we're still stuck with Bose. No highs, no lows, must be Bose. Bose Blose. And GM has a history of over promising and under delivering, of overhyping, and of missing the big-little things.

But tonight I'm feeling 51% optimistic about the C7, as half the kids in the neighborhood play Call of Duty downstairs, here's the reasons why:

1. The Camaro's best angle is its rear. Its a great looking rear end on a car I've never particularly liked to look at. They could have copied a worse rear end. Even if it is from a lesser car.

2. GM has said alot of the right things about the C7 development. I've read some quotes from GM/Corvette people about how they wanted to make the car easier for the average owner to drive. And that (not the interior) was the C6's greatest flaw, in my view.

3. That guy that posts all the inside information recently posted a kind of prank thread about how Stingrays weigh less than 3000 pounds. If we get a 2950lb Vette that's going to be somewhat unbelievable.

4. I recall seeing open-hood shots showing a chassis brace under there. Chassis rigidity would do the 'Vette well.

5. We're getting good seats

6. At least it'll be a better Bose system, so probably at least a 5 on a 10 scale, like the GT-R, instead of a 4, like the C6.

7. We're getting cooled seats. And those just make sense on a sports car thats generally driven in the warm only.

8. I have a feeling the new car will bow with more than 450hp, or at least a >450hp version will show up after a model year or 2. These motors have been the 'Vettes trump car for several years now. They are the best sports car powerplants around. They will find alot more than 480hp.

9. I recently, just out of C7 curiosity, test drove a Lexus IS, its transmission is awfully good. Its an automatic with paddles, and its awfully good. Quick shifts, smooth off the line, nice throttle blips on downshifts. If we get that it will be better than the F1 in the F430 by quite a bit, and as smooth around town as a DCT, and that'll make me happy.

10. The C6 was a way behind its competition in aerodynamics, from what we have seen so far the C7 should improve quite a bit in this area.

11. We haven't, at least most of us, laid eye on the actual car yet, and it may look good in person, even if the Jalopondriver renderings don't look very good.

And some predictions:

A) a 480hp version of the standard C7 will exist at some point and match or beat the C6 Z06 in most performance metrics, including lap times. a 480hp base vette will go 7:20s at teh ring in a PR lap.

B) launch control in the C7 will still lag behind systems from Porsche and GT-R, but will improve over the life of the C7 until it really works well

C) 51%+ of people who hate the design and the Camarovette rear end will eventually buy one, because it remains (Viper aside) Americas only real sports car, and we're all a bunch of flag waving optimists at heart, who want our cars to be great, and want to support them.

D) by the end of the life of the C7, it will have at least an attempt at a proper paddle shifted transmission.

have a nice weekend, folks.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamcars99 For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

C7 Optimism Counterpoint

Appreciate your attitude and thoughts. I have no doubt the C7 will continue to maintain Corvette's unrivaled status as the most advanced automobile for the money in the world. But design-wise I don't share your optimism. Ever since the C4, GM has inexplicably taken a very conservative approach to Corvette design.

That conservatism is already evident in the general shape and vernacular of the C7. It offers little design advance over an early 2000s Celica or late model GTR. Best case scenario is it will be an inoffensive looking car that does little to make any kind of dramatic statement, ala the Stingray or Mako Shark.

Worst case scenario is that on top of a GTR design mimic, it will include outright embarrassing detail such as the alleged gangsta teardrops on a chaotic version of a Camaro rear end.

Hope I'm wrong. Hate to see a repeat of the Car and Driver experience in '97, when they drove one of the first new Vettes clear across the country... and NOBODY noticed...
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
VetteUSA
I have poor impulse control.

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)
'93 LT1 Coupe (2005 - 2011). '08 CTS (Now)

The problem is the Corvette should not copy ANY rear end, Period, even if it is of a "better" lesser car.

And for the cooled seats in another GM vehicle (CTS), there are many complaints about how uncomfortable those seats are. GM will slap the same crap in the vette.

51%+ of people who hate the design and the Camarovette rear end will eventually buy one?

And as for whether or not the C7 will look better in person than what we've already seen, highly doubtful. However, i will reserve some judgment on that because I thought the ZR1 hood window always looked dumb, but it looked better in person when I first saw a ZR1. I still think the hood window is stupid, but it's not as embarassingly stupid as I originally considered it to be.

I hope that's the case with the C7.
VetteUSA is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VetteUSA For This Useful Post:
Junkman2008 (12-06-2012), Longtimer (12-03-2012), Patrick (12-04-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
6 Shooter
DC Crew

Member #1147

My Corvette(s)
Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Thumbs up! Long Live Corvette!

6 Shooter is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 6 Shooter For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa61 View Post

Worst case scenario is that on top of a GTR design mimic, it will include outright embarrassing detail such as the alleged gangsta teardrops on a chaotic version of a Camaro rear end.
I'm totally not seeing ANY GTR in this. The GTR isn't even wedge shaped.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

GTR/C7 Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I'm totally not seeing ANY GTR in this. The GTR isn't even wedge shaped.
I didn't see the GTR resemblance at first either, it was only after comparison pics of the GTR and the Jalopnik rendering were posted side by side in this forum and I went "wow!" Take a look...

The important point to me is that in any event the C7 appears to be another inexplicably conservative design with some, at best baffling and at worst embarrassing details thrown in...

Gangsta teardrops? Bling-bling cove vents? Oh, the pain...
The Following User Says Thank You to iowa61 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
pcgt
DC Crew

Member #10770

it will use flubber instead of shock absorbers.
pcgt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the LT-1 engine in the Corvette will make more then 450BHP and 450ft-lbs of torque.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Blast
DC Crew

Member #5275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the LT-1 engine in the Corvette will make more then 450BHP and 450ft-lbs of torque.
My own impression is that it can give more than 450/450 easily, but it could be detuned to 450/450 at launch.

I'm still of a mind that I'm not entirely sure where we'll land. 450+ we know, but higher and if so, how much higher? 500? I wouldn't think so somehow.

NOTE: This is my own thoughts that could be entirely wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me. (After it stopped telling me to get some lunch which I just did).

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post
C) 51%+ of people who hate the design and the Camarovette rear end will eventually buy one, because it remains (Viper aside) Americas only real sports car, and we're all a bunch of flag waving optimists at heart, who want our cars to be great, and want to support them.
For me, that cuts right to it. I hated the C6 when it came out. It grew on me, so I sold my C5 and bought one. No regrets as my C6 is better, faster, and makes me younger than the C5. OK the last one is BS...I suspect the same will happen for many of us who are less than "in love" with the design renderings we have seen. We can't help it. Corvette is in our DNA.

If only there were online forums in 1983. Can you imagine the legions of C3 owners and what they though of the C4 design.
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post
If only there were online forums in 1983. Can you imagine the legions of C3 owners and what they though of the C4 design.
I liked the C4 at first site and loved it at first drive. Kept my C3, but bought an 87 that I drove for many, many years. They are two different kind of cars.

However, as you say, some will definitely get tired of seeing more tech and more performance driving down the freeway next to them. Not sure how many who hate that ass, will ever get used to it, but some will cave and buy the car in spite of it. GM and their screw the loyalist attitude will probably win.

I really hate this change in GM corvette policy and the product design that comes with it. Why do they bother going to corvette meets and do marketing studies if they don't want our feedback and input. NO way a majority of current corvette owners said, "Yeah, sure I want my next corvette to have Camaro taillights." I will NEVER buy one with that ass.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

When the C7 comes out, I'm going to buy 2 new C5 Z06's, one for the track, one for commuting.
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

"new" ???
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

Getting "used" to the design

I don't understand the arguments in sympathy with the idea that "we'll just get used to" the less than inspired design. What the hell is the point of that? Why should we HAVE to "get used to" it?

Did you have to get used to the Stingray? HELL NO, it caused a worldwide sensation, heralded as a breakthrough and still considered that today. Same with its Mako successor.

The C4 was hardly exciting but at least tasteful and unique.

I haven't seen the new car. But the indications are it's no bold, visionary, or even UNIQUE design statement. Hope I'm dead wrong...
Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
"new" ???
New to me!
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.