Is the C5 Z06 the best performance bargain today? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Is the C5 Z06 the best performance bargain today?

I had a long conversation yesterday with a good friend who is shopping for a sports car to buy next spring. We talked about everything, from 350Zs to S2000s to Vettes and on.

I think ultimately, we concluded that the C5 Z06 is probably the best buy on earth right now for a sports car. It could probably own the exotics of its day at a track event (996 Turbo, 360 Modena, etc), and I'd bet it would hold its own against the next generation of Europeans with good tires and a good driver. I've not owned a C5, but the C5Z on youtube, with Corsa, sounds if anything better than my C6Z with Corsa did. And its great looking.

Are we missing something?
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

I think you're spot on, especially stating that it is good against cars of its time. That has always been a huge Corvette draw...BEST bang for the buck overall. Sure, there are some compromises, but overall, you can hang with cars with much higher price tags and still drive it to work every day if you want.
XQIZT is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post
I had a long conversation yesterday with a good friend who is shopping for a sports car to buy next spring. We talked about everything, from 350Zs to S2000s to Vettes and on.

I think ultimately, we concluded that the C5 Z06 is probably the best buy on earth right now for a sports car.
Hands down, the '02-'04 Z06 is the best bang for the buck. I've owned a C5 Z06, and plan to own many more when I'm not so busy and have time to drive them.

It's a track/street warrior. And, I can't believe how cheap they can be bought for these days.
Patrick is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
jaymsu
DC Crew

Member #67990

My Corvette(s)
TOY4JAY I: 02 EB Coupe, TOY4JAY II: 07 VY Z06, TOY4JAY III (current): 06 Coupe w/ Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post

I think ultimately, we concluded that the C5 Z06 is probably the best buy on earth right now for a sports car. It could probably own the exotics of its day at a track event (996 Turbo, 360 Modena, etc), and I'd bet it would hold its own against the next generation of Europeans with good tires and a good driver. I've not owned a C5, but the C5Z on youtube, with Corsa, sounds if anything better than my C6Z with Corsa did. And its great looking.

Are we missing something?
In the price range where C5Z is now, there is nothing that can be better. I was shopping for a toy car I can play with for about 3 years, and I was looking at same line of cars as your friend - 370z (didn't like 350), S2000, RX-8 (need to add turbo. there is no torque), C4 ZR1, Camaro SS, Mustang GT, 05-07 C6... (all used) Nothing interested me more than C5Z.
There are tons of C5Zs on the track day events and there is clear reason for that - it's best bang for the buck in terms of performance, and easy maintenance with affordable parts.

I ended up getting C6Z again but if it was not that, my only decision had to be 'which C5Z'. (I wanted 30k or less mile 02-04 Z in MY, TR, or EB. Z16 would be nice but had to pay more) There are tons of low mile C5Zs in 20-25k price range.
jaymsu is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 Arctic White Coupe w/ Z51 : Airaid Intake, XS Power Muffler, Dr. Phil Tuned
SS braided brake line, Bilstein shock, TSW Nurburgring (forged) wheels
HP+ brake pads (F) / EBC Yellow pads (R)
Hardbar Harness bar w/ Schroth harness - Other than that, it's pretty much stock.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

C5 Z06 = good medicine.

I should have never sold my FRC!
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Besides bang for the buck the FRC/Z06 to me is the best looking body style
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hands down............
absolutely
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

In my opinion GM set the bar with the C5, especially the Z. The performance, reliability, and mpg's of the C5 put corvette on the map. Now the C6 and generations to come are simply unbelievable. I hope your buddy goes for the C5 Z, he won’t be disappointed. Good luck.
Billy Johnso is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-RPM trans-3000 stall Yank converter-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9w-bVmQsQ my burn out at 2:53
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Reino
DC Crew

Member #120142

I've never been a 'new car buyer' so I had a bit of sticker shock when my wife dropped $33k on a brand new 4Runner. It's a base model, fabric seats. The top trim comes in at over $40k.

Also, I'm a Honda guy and all the forums are raving about the 2013 Accord coupe with 278 HP V6 and 6-speed transmission. I have to admit they would make a pretty awesome GT, but the top trim with leather also comes in at over $30k.

$30k can buy a hell of a low-mileage C5Z! I can't imagine dropping that much on a new car that pales in comparison to the C5Z. You can't even buy a new BMW for that price.

I do think it is the best used car bargain on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Reino is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
bob bornhoef
DC Crew

Member #12945

Quote:
Hands down, the '02-'04 Z06 is the best bang for the buck. I've owned a C5 Z06, and plan to own many more when I'm not so busy and have time to drive them.

It's a track/street warrior. And, I can't believe how cheap they can be bought for these days.
You forgot the 2001.
bob bornhoef is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Bobby B.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
The Beast
DC Crew

Member #58153

My Corvette(s)
2013 ZR1

Garage
I'm on board, I bought an 04 in o6 for the low 30s. It had 36K miles on it. I'm using it for road race track driving now for the most part. I've put the stuff listed below on it, has about 60K miles on it and I still haven't put what I would have spent on a new Z. I'll out run or keep up with just about any stock zo6.
Dynos about 580 RWHP.
Man, it's like having sex out there on the track.

Anybody know of a good racing brake system, I've about wore mine out on the track. Baer sure are high, but I can't find any reviews. Anybody tried the SSBC?
The Beast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Have some fun, we won't be back this way again!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
bob bornhoef
DC Crew

Member #12945

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post
C5 Z06 = good medicine.

I should have never sold my FRC!
No, you should not have.The good news is you can get back into one for around 20 gr.
bob bornhoef is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Bobby B.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob bornhoef View Post
You forgot the 2001.
That one was only 385 HP. I prefer the '02-04 with 405 HP. There are other differences, but I forget....
Patrick is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #14
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Quote:
That one was only 385 HP. I prefer the '02-04 with 405 HP. There are other differences, but I forget....
I've been reading up on them, and it appears that the C5 Z06 underwent year to year improvements akin to those in the C6 Z06. Here's a comment to validate that:

http://c5-z06-z16.vettepics.com/

"Apart from the Commemorative package for '04, the Z06 receives specific chassis tuning upgrades intended to deliver increased performance and more vehicle control--all with a smoother ride around town. Considerable attention was paid to refinement of the Sachs' shock valving in order to diminish the impact of yaw and roll, particularly in a series of tight corners. Ride/Handling Chassis Engineer Michael Neal states, "We reshaped the force-velocity curve to give more control, but not at the expense of ride. What the customer feels, particularly on a racetrack, is a more poised car. He doesn't have to wait for body roll to settle during transient maneuvers, so he can be aggressive hustling from one corner to another, particularly as they come in quicker succession." Added to the handling mix are stiffer upper control-arm bushings teamed with slightly softer rear anti-roll bar bushings to deliver flatter handling and more stability going into the corner, thus minimizing oversteer on corner exit. "If you want to fix oversteer at the back, you first need to fix it at the front of the corner," says Neal. Specifically, deterring oversteer requires generating a smoother entry, which, in the case of the '04 Z06, is noticeably easier compared with the '03 model."
etc

I don't have a solid list of year to year changes, but presumably the 04 would have "all of the changes", in addition to the extra 20 ponies.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #15
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Well here is what I've gathered so far, in reading up on the C5 Z

-solid motor, no oiling problems
-sounds awesome with Corsa (I love Corsa on Vettes)
-dyno a bit higher than they should for 400hp, 380 at the wheels some people report
-tirerack doesn't list sticky tires for them in the OEM size, thats a big bummer. whats the solution for this?
-interior sure looks good in red
-the stiffening tunnel brace looks like a great mod

Do the cars have any major annoying flaw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.