LT1 Information - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
NemesisC5
DC Crew

Member #56667

My Corvette(s)
1999 MN6 Coupe: 2002 ZO6

LT1 Information

Saw this post on LS1Tech. Someone who claims to be GM employee. Read it for what it's worth.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16937494-post314.html
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

While some interesting infor is in there. I'm not 100% ssure I believe all of the post. For one the LNF has a VERY simular (tri lobe) fuel pump to the LT-1 there isn't a lot of "new" there. Also I think GM would be all over anyone spewing design secrets at this point.

But most of the info he does have would appear to viable.

Edit: After reading more of his posts, I'm not really sure about him anymore.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

not an engine tech, but I think the jist of that thread is

A) the "big gunz" guy seems to know a great great deal about engines and this one in particular, but has remarkably appalling grammar skills, which seems unlikely for a big-time mega-engineer of motors. He claims what he posts is first approved by a higher power at GM. you decide

B) he is saying that the motor will not be tunable in the way previous motors were, there is a debate about the feasibility of this, some saying "it will be cracked one day", some arguing that some chrysler motors have proven uncrackable.

C) he is also saying that the OEM electronics will support huge horsepower tunes without being hacked, because they are adaptable

D) he is suggesting that some aspects of direct injection make tuning dangerous. odd, as numerous DI Porsches, Lambos, etc are tuned. In fact I think the lp-560 can get 900hp with a 1 year warranty for $40k, which in the realm of Lambo prices isn't that bad.

It largely seems to be a thread aimed at making peace with the tuner / racer / motor builder crowds, and not as much aimed at extolling the virtues of the stock engine.

It contains more implications of a future monster-power forced induction motor.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

This is the second time that I have read that the motor will not be able to be tuned. This factor will weigh heavily on purchasing the next Vette. Wait and see I guess we will know soon enough.
Upheval is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upheval View Post
This is the second time that I have read that the motor will not be able to be tuned. This factor will weigh heavily on purchasing the next Vette. Wait and see I guess we will know soon enough.
HPtuners has the Dodge stuff cracked they just haven't done a beta release on it. it is comming though. They are also working on a smart tuning option but I'm sure it's a ways out. I would think that the new GM pcm might have a feature like that (looks at fuel trims and adjusts MAf scaling accordingly).

I would be high suprised if the PCm isn't cracked within weeks of it's release, there is simply to much money to be made in the aftermarket for it to be otherwise.

As for the fuel system stuff about being dangerous? I'm sure it's dangerous but it's not really any more dangerous than it was to begin with. We have been tuning DI on Diesels for years and they run much higher pressures.

injector timing will be the big deal on these motors. your injecting window is only about 25% of what it was on a non DI motor. So the injector timing has to be much more accurate.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
ZL1GT
DC Crew

Member #13275

My Corvette(s)
Yellow 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post
not an engine tech, but I think the jist of that thread is

A) the "big gunz" guy seems to know a great great deal about engines and this one in particular, but has remarkably appalling grammar skills, which seems unlikely for a big-time mega-engineer of motors.
I noticed the same thing. It occurred to me that he might not be American-born, English might be his second language. The American auto industry is getting more international.
ZL1GT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upheval View Post
The guy in the thread, Bigg Gunz, seems to be implying that the car will self-tune.

Switch to E85, it will automatically retune itself for that. Add a CAI or headers, it will automatically retune itself. Even add a supercharger, and the factory ECM will retune itself to adapt to having the supe bolted on.

That might actually be really nice for modding...
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.