Affordable Care Act keeps premiums affordable - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel
 
Poncherello's Avatar
 
Posts: 20,845
Member #5040
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: In transition

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Thanks: 0
Thanked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Affordable Care Act keeps premiums affordable




Quote:
Health insurer Blue Shield of California wants to raise rates as much as 20% for some individual policyholders, prompting calls for the nonprofit to use some of its record-high reserve of $3.9 billion to hold down premiums.

In filings with state regulators, Blue Shield is seeking an average rate increase of 12% for more than 300,000 customers, effective in March, with a maximum increase of 20%.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6546740.story

Quote:
Health insurance premiums may as much as double for some small businesses and individual buyers in the U.S. when the Affordable Care Act’s major provisions start in 2014, Aetna Inc. (AET)’s chief executive officer said.

While subsidies in the law will shield some people, other consumers who make too much for assistance are in for “premium rate shock,” Mark Bertolini, who runs the third-biggest U.S. health-insurance company, told analysts yesterday at a conference in New York. The prospect has spurred discussion of having Congress delay or phase in parts of the law, he said.

“We’ve shared it all with the people in Washington and I think it’s a big concern,” the CEO said. “We’re going to see some markets go up as much as as 100 percent.”

Bertolini’s prediction is at odds with Congressional Budget Office estimates that the law will have little effect on small and large-employer plans and the Obama administration’s projections that middle-class families will actually save money. The 2010 law is expected to extend health care to about 30 million people who otherwise couldn’t get insurance, paid for by new taxes and fees on companies and wealthier individuals.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-premiums.html
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts
I have hands on experience in the Health Insurance Industry. Premiums have been going up like this since Obama Care passed. Get use to it.

Here in Indiana, Anthem BC has raised rates on average 12% per year (some areas as much as 20%) for the past two cycles with more to come. (On individual and group) Prior to Obama Care, we were seeing on average 4% increases annually.

Obama stated no new taxes on the middle class. Phuckin Liar as our Phellow Libtards would say.

The entire premise of Obama Care is to make private health insurance so expensive that no one can afford it. Then the Government can completely take over. Libtards!

Nothing but a control grab.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Texdentist
 
Texdentist's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,024
Member #76657
Member since: Oct 2008
Location: Crowley, TX

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanks: 59
Thanked 568 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
I have hands on experience in the Health Insurance Industry. Premiums have been going up like this since Obama Care passed. Get use to it.

Here in Indiana, Anthem BC has raised rates on average 12% per year (some areas as much as 20%) for the past two cycles with more to come. (On individual and group) Prior to Obama Care, we were seeing on average 4% increases annually.

Obama stated no new taxes on the middle class. Phuckin Liar as our Phellow Libtards would say.

The entire premise of Obama Care is to make private health insurance so expensive that no one can afford it. Then the Government can completely take over. Libtards!

Nothing but a control grab.
Unfortunately, you are correct. The goal has always been single payer, but the public didn't want it. So they will make insurance so damned expensive that the public will scream for help from nanny government and then gladly accept "Universal Healthcare" in all it's liberal glory. Get ready for waits of months for routine diagnostic procedures and the complete inability to get treatments deemed to be too expensive.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!
 
XQIZT's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,855
Member #80197
Member since: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Thanks: 26
Thanked 185 Times in 159 Posts
And if we turn the coin over.....

Average premiums for employer-sponsored family health insurance plans rose 62 percent between 2003 and 2011, from $9,249 to $15,022 per year, according to a new Commonwealth Fund report. The report, which tracks state trends in employer health insurance coverage, finds that health insurance costs rose far faster than incomes in all states. Workers are also paying more out-of-pocket as employee payments for their share of health insurance premiums rose by 74 percent on average and deductibles more than doubled, up 117 percent between 2003 and 2011.

The report, State Trends in Premiums and Deductibles, 2003-2011: Eroding Protection and Rising Costs Underscore Need for Action, finds that total health insurance premiums now amount to 20 percent or more of annual median family incomes in 35 states, affecting 80 percent of the U.S. working-age population. States in the South and South-Central U.S. had the highest costs relative to household income-in West Virginia, New Mexico, South Carolina, and Texas, average total health insurance premiums amounted to more than 25 percent of median incomes.


Continued...

What's the thing they say about statistics?......
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
And if we turn the coin over.....

Average premiums for employer-sponsored family health insurance plans rose 62 percent between 2003 and 2011, from $9,249 to $15,022 per year, according to a new Commonwealth Fund report. The report, which tracks state trends in employer health insurance coverage, finds that health insurance costs rose far faster than incomes in all states. Workers are also paying more out-of-pocket as employee payments for their share of health insurance premiums rose by 74 percent on average and deductibles more than doubled, up 117 percent between 2003 and 2011.

The report, State Trends in Premiums and Deductibles, 2003-2011: Eroding Protection and Rising Costs Underscore Need for Action, finds that total health insurance premiums now amount to 20 percent or more of annual median family incomes in 35 states, affecting 80 percent of the U.S. working-age population. States in the South and South-Central U.S. had the highest costs relative to household income-in West Virginia, New Mexico, South Carolina, and Texas, average total health insurance premiums amounted to more than 25 percent of median incomes.


Continued...

What's the thing they say about statistics?......
As usual....
The point went right over your head.
Premiums have increased more in the past 24 months than total over the past 6 years.

Let me type slower for you.
Obama Care (AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT) has inflated health care premiums to the private market MORE in the past 24 months than previous years. The ENTIRE purpose of Obama Care is to push private citizens into a single payer GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED plan. When you can no longer afford your own insurance and your employer can no longer afford to provide private insurance to you, who are you going to turn to? You got it.

The AFFORDABLE Health Care Act, was NEVER about reducing costs. If it was about reducing costs, other completely opposite steps would have been taken. The Health Insurance Industry knew upfront that this program would increase costs and there for PREMIUMS and there for REVENUE to them. That is why they jumped on board. Not only was everyone going to be forced to buy their products, but they'd be forced to purchase their products at INCREASED costs. Big corporations and the government are making out on this program and the private citizen takes it up the ass again.

I have a customers renewal statement in front of me. Last year's monthly cost for his individual health coverage for he and his wife, $1100 per month. This year, starting this month.....$1397 per month. That's 28% UP in one year. What happen to the AFFORDABLE Health Care plan????
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts
Would Congress vote for a bill titled "The most expensive health care act we can come up with to push everyone to single payer act"?
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!
 
XQIZT's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,855
Member #80197
Member since: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Thanks: 26
Thanked 185 Times in 159 Posts
Look, you and I know that rates have been increasing with and without the new law. Plain and simple. EVERY YEAR for the past 6 years my company changed companies because they couldn't afford the rate hike(always more than the mere 4% you state), but as a new customer with another company it was cheaper.

And as far as I can tell now, any rate increases are fear-mongering, as the new law isn't even implemented yet. Sure, there are projections...but just as there are projections stating that things will get more expensive, there are other stating the opposing...so again I ask...whats that they say about statistics?
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Texdentist
 
Texdentist's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,024
Member #76657
Member since: Oct 2008
Location: Crowley, TX

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanks: 59
Thanked 568 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Look, you and I know that rates have been increasing with and without the new law. Plain and simple. EVERY YEAR for the past 6 years my company changed companies because they couldn't afford the rate hike(always more than the mere 4% you state), but as a new customer with another company it was cheaper.

And as far as I can tell now, any rate increases are fear-mongering, as the new law isn't even implemented yet. Sure, there are projections...but just as there are projections stating that things will get more expensive, there are other stating the opposing...so again I ask...whats that they say about statistics?
Somehow I have my doubts that they are going to suddenly cover 47 million more people - none of whom pay for it, and lower costs for the rest. Only cookbooked projections could come up with that result.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts


blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Look, you and I know that rates have been increasing with and without the new law. Plain and simple. EVERY YEAR for the past 6 years my company changed companies because they couldn't afford the rate hike(always more than the mere 4% you state), but as a new customer with another company it was cheaper.

And as far as I can tell now, any rate increases are fear-mongering, as the new law isn't even implemented yet. Sure, there are projections...but just as there are projections stating that things will get more expensive, there are other stating the opposing...so again I ask...whats that they say about statistics?
And what is your expertise in the Health Insurance industry?


For you again....
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Somehow I have my doubts that they are going to suddenly cover 47 million more people - none of whom pay for it, and lower costs for the rest. Only cookbooked projections could come up with that result.
How in the world could a group of politicians name it the "Affordable Health Care Act" then??? I'm confused?
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!
 
XQIZT's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,855
Member #80197
Member since: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Thanks: 26
Thanked 185 Times in 159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
And what is your expertise in the Health Insurance industry?

I'm an expert consumer...
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew
 
grumpyvette's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,329
Member #1106
Member since: Jun 2003
Location: lox fla

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

Thanks: 5
Thanked 210 Times in 136 Posts
you knew the obama care SUCKS as soon as you saw the POLITICIANS ALL OPED OUT OF IT FOR THEIR PERSONAL CARE!
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
syjones
DC Crew
 
syjones's Avatar
 
Posts: 58
Member #7751
Member since: Jan 2004
Location: Tennessee, USA

My Corvette(s)
2013 4LT/1SC Crystal Red Cashmere 427

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
As usual....
The point went right over your head.
Premiums have increased more in the past 24 months than total over the past 6 years.

Let me type slower for you.
Obama Care (AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT) has inflated health care premiums to the private market MORE in the past 24 months than previous years. The ENTIRE purpose of Obama Care is to push private citizens into a single payer GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED plan. When you can no longer afford your own insurance and your employer can no longer afford to provide private insurance to you, who are you going to turn to? You got it.

The AFFORDABLE Health Care Act, was NEVER about reducing costs. If it was about reducing costs, other completely opposite steps would have been taken. The Health Insurance Industry knew upfront that this program would increase costs and there for PREMIUMS and there for REVENUE to them. That is why they jumped on board. Not only was everyone going to be forced to buy their products, but they'd be forced to purchase their products at INCREASED costs. Big corporations and the government are making out on this program and the private citizen takes it up the ass again.

I have a customers renewal statement in front of me. Last year's monthly cost for his individual health coverage for he and his wife, $1100 per month. This year, starting this month.....$1397 per month. That's 28% UP in one year. What happen to the AFFORDABLE Health Care plan????
Sounds like the Insurance companys are making hay while the sun shines. If the major portion of the bill is not even effective, it seems like they'll get us riled up enough to help them keep the costs inflated. Sure helps them, just a thought.......
syjones is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Past and Present Vettes: 1988 black/red automatic coupe ; 1992 black/red six-speed Z51 coupe ; 2002 six-speed Magnetic Red Z51 Convertible ; 2009 Victory Red Ebony/Titanium 3LZ Z06 ; 2013 Crystal Red/Ebony Cashmere 4LT/1SC 427
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,091
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 830
Thanked 282 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I'm an expert consumer...
And I've been licensed and sold the products we are discussing for the past 17 years, licensed with multiple health insurance companies selling both individual and group plans in two states.

I think I'll stick with my expertise.

The transformation is taking place right in front of your nose.

By the way, rate increases in the past 24 months, since the time the Affordable Health Care Act was passed, have been more than double those of previous years. Why is that? You can't provide MORE coverage for LESS money. You can't remove exclusions and charge less. You can't keep your kids on the plan until they retire and charge less. Only a liberal would fall for the political lies.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© 2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved