Sandy Hook family suing for 100 million - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Sandy Hook family suing for 100 million

How do you feel about the family of a survivor suing for the state not protecting their children

http://www.therightscoop.com/parent-...r-100-million/

Quote:
YAHOO NEWS – A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard “cursing, screaming, and shooting” over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

“As a consequence, the … child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined,” the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

“We all know its going to happen again,” Pinsky said on Friday. “Society has to take action.”

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on December 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky’s claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from “foreseeable harm.”

It said they had failed to provide a “safe school setting” or design “an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol.”

Pinsky said he was approached by the child’s parents within a week of the shooting. ]
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Instead of personal monetary gains, that 100 million could be used in better ways of protecting children while in school.
Armed & trained teachers, administrators, faculty, under cover police, Volunteer US Military Vets.
Especially Former US Military Vets that Volunteer to protect kids. Give them a paycheck for protecting kids Our US Vets.
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I think it's shameful. It's a blatant attempt to profit from the tragedy. This will surely go nowhere.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
MayZ
DC Crew

Member #73924

My Corvette(s)
2008 Z06

It's interesting this is coming from someone who still has their little boy or little girl. The sooner this is dismissed the better, IMO.
MayZ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MAYZ

2008 Z06 Black/Ebony
2LZ, Comp Grey Wheels
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

If it saves one child....

Why not?
We sue for everything else. It's the entitlement mentality.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayZ View Post
It's interesting this is coming from someone who still has their little boy or little girl. The sooner this is dismissed the better, IMO.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

Allowing this to go forward will set a dangerous precedent.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

According to the attorney who filed it (Irving Pinsky) on behalf of the parents, the lawsuit has, for the time being at least, been withdrawn.
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
ironhorse
DC Crew

Member #74885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I think it's shameful. It's a blatant attempt to profit from the tragedy. This will surely go nowhere.
Probably some scum bag bottom feeder lawyer put that in the head of the parent...
ironhorse is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I just can't believe parents would cook this up. Tell ya what...get out of the lawyer's office and spend time with you kids!
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayZ View Post
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Once you get past the subject matter and how awful the killings in Newtown were, the withdrawn suit really brings up a question.

Is the school system responsible for protecting our children?

Before you answer, consider this. You put Grandma's $30K diamond earrings in a safety deposit box and the bank blew up due to a terrorist incident. The earrings are gone, and many are dead from the attack. Would you sue for the $30K?

You bet you would, because you feel that the bank is responsible for securing your valuables. There is a trust that is imparted to the bank when you put your valuables in their possession.

I believe that the school system (for which we all pay for) is responsible for securing our most valuable asset: our children. If that system is negligent, and that negligence causes or worsens actual loss, then shouldn't the negligent be held responsible?

Flame on!
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post
Once you get past the subject matter and how awful the killings in Newtown were, the withdrawn suit really brings up a question.

Before you answer, consider this. You put Grandma's $30K diamond earrings in a safety deposit box and the bank blew up due to a terrorist incident. The earrings are gone, and many are dead from the attack. Would you sue for the $30K?

You bet you would, because you feel that the bank is responsible for securing your valuables. There is a trust that is imparted to the bank when you put your valuables in their possession.

I believe that the school system (for which we all pay for) is responsible for securing our most valuable asset: our children. If that system is negligent, and that negligence causes or worsens actual loss, then shouldn't the negligent be held responsible?

Flame on!
I agree 100%.

We protect our money in the bank. We protect our homes and furnishings. If you're a business owner, you protect your business from theft and vandalism. Yet we don't protect our kids in school? As a parent, I have an expectation that my children are safe while in the custody of the school system from the time they get on the bus in the morning until they are returned back to my driveway. This tragedy is the result of the school system, and our government, failing to provide protection of our children.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post

Flame on!
Well is the bank negligent for being attacked my terrorists? Beyond that wouldn't the bank have insurance for theft?
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Well is the bank negligent for being attacked my terrorists? Beyond that wouldn't the bank have insurance for theft?
What does the cause of loss matter? Is the bank not responsible for safeguarding your valuables?

On a side note, many commercial insurance policies have exclusions for losses from acts of terrorism or war. Just saying.

The question here has to be whether the school system owes it's customers any responsibility of safeguarding their investment while in custody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.