President Obama Avoids the Fisical Cliff - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
President Obama Avoids the Fisical Cliff

I'm just happy that we avoided the dairy cliff with as much milk as I drink.

So what say we DC? Discuss.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
So what say we DC? Discuss.
Well, according to the CBO, we just added another $3T+ to our debt. Apparently Dems don't plan on being around to get the bill on their never ending spending spree.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

The President is thrilled with this pork bloated bill while at the same time promising more tax hikes to come saying, "We can't cut our way to prosperity". As if taxing our way to prosperity is a viable alternative.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
C5sarge
DC Crew

Member #105729

My Corvette(s)
09 Coupe

Junk you named this thread as a good media propaganda machine would. The president all by himself saved us!
C5sarge is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Attack life fully armed" " Navy Vet"
93 Torch Red Coupe - Sold
01 Torch Red Vert - Traded
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
The President is thrilled with this pork bloated bill while at the same time promising more tax hikes to come saying, "We can't cut our way to prosperity". As if taxing our way to prosperity is a viable alternative.
You haven't seen the details of the bill yet, how can you say that with confidence?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5sarge View Post
Junk you named this thread as a good media propaganda machine would. The president all by himself saved us!
Sarge, you are the first to catch that. I was waiting on someone to say something. I did that for the exact reason you stated because had the bill NOT been passed and had we went over the cliff, someone else would have titled it, "President Obama Sends the US Over the Fiscal Cliff!"

It was more of a 'poke the news room dogs' thread!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
You haven't seen the details of the bill yet, how can you say that with confidence?
Here is just a small bit of how this thing was built:

"No wonder many House Republicans balked at what was presented. The New Year's Day legislation is breathtaking in its largess. The Senate bill extends 52 tax credits, mostly for one year, ensuring huge annual lobbying fees and political contributions. Section 206 provides a juicy capital-gains tax exemption for contributions of property for conservation, meaning wealthy environmentalists with extra acreage will be able to take a tax deduction for the appreciated property and have the environmental organization preserve it, adding to the value of the primary property. Section 312 provides faster tax deductions for "motorsports entertainment complexes." Section 317 allows expensing of film and television productions, meaning lower taxes for Hollywood.
The bill devotes much space to tax credits for government-approved energy schemes, providing taxpayer subsidies for energy-efficient new homes, existing homes, appliances, cellulosic biofuel and "Indian coal facilities." Underscoring the complexity of the tax code, the bill takes seven pages to index the alternative minimum tax for inflation because it takes side trips to curry favor with the owners of plug-in electric vehicles and with first-time home-buyers in the District of Columbia."

Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
While this bill raises taxes on 77% of households after the expiration of a 2% payroll tax cut it includes the following:

$430 million for Hollywood writeoffs after a record setting box office take in 2012.

$222 million in returned excise tax to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

$70 million for NASCAR

$59 million for algea growers to encourage production of cellulosic biofuel

$4 million for electric motorcycle makers

$330 million for railroads

Here's what he said after the bill was passed:

Quote:
Todayís agreement enshrines, I think, a principle into law that will remain in place as long as I am President: The deficit needs to be reduced in a way thatís balanced. Everyone pays their fair share. Everyone does their part. Thatís how our economy works best. Thatís how we grow.Ē
Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/obama...tMyzUVF5Dw4.99

This bill raises the deficit by more than $3 trillion and we call this a good deal? This is nothing more than continued spending with a cry that the rich still aren't paying their fair share.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

I find it truly laughable that The "conservatives" are now crying about the growth of government while it grew the most under GW Bush and second most under Ronal Raegan. It has actualy shrunk consistantly under Obama, but the cries of government growth continue as they alway do under a Democrat president. Republicans have lost the faith of the people because they are sick and tired of the game. They are sick and tired of huge Republican spending when they are in control and demands to stop spending when they are not.

It is time for republicans to realize that when you take control of the government, that is the time to do what is right, not when the other guys take control. Sure the republicans would like to see huge cuts to spending right now. It would cause another recession, that they could point to, to take power back in 2016, and if history teaches us anything, they will squander any benifits that such cuts would bring, as Bush did after Clinton slashed spending durring his term.

Yes Obama played the pubs like a well tuned fiddle durring this fiscal cliff debate, and as long as republicans stick to the worn and tired bullshit that they have been sticking with all along they will continue to lose credability and power. Hey Boehner and Cantor, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Time to try something new.....like showing the people that you are willing to work with the other side to help the country, and putting party aside after the election. Maybe this fiscal cliff deal is a starting point. Show the people that you are willing to work together with the president to help the economy grow. That in itself would give business and the people the confidence they need to open thier wallets again and get the economy rolling strong, and that would do more to cut the deficits than any programs we could cut. It was the philosophy that all republicans embraced durring the Bush years, when Cheney said that deficits just don't matter any more.

Obama has shown that he is willing to make needed cuts. and just as when Clinton was president if the Republicans work with the president to get smart and targetted cuts we will together bring our economy back to life and in the process shrink our deficits into surplusses, and if the people see fit to give us another chance, we can then do the right thing and use those surplusses to reduce our debts rather than give those surplusses away to the friends of the Pubs.
the machine is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
C5sarge
DC Crew

Member #105729

My Corvette(s)
09 Coupe

Both parties are to blame. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I saw some type of effort to reduce spending and more actual leadership instead of playing politics or trying to get some more face time on the TV. We are heading towards a financial meltdown folks. And what the parties are doing is not good for the country or the people.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
I find it truly laughable that The "conservatives" are now crying about the growth of government while it grew the most under GW Bush and second most under Ronal Raegan. It has actualy shrunk consistantly under Obama, but the cries of government growth continue as they alway do under a Democrat president.
I think it depends on what you are talking about. The number of government employees? Maybe that has gone down, I don't know. But government expenditures? No way. Government spending has gone into hyper drive since Obama took office and Obamacare hasn't even hit yet. When it does, the needle will fall off of the guage.

Quote:
Obama has shown that he is willing to make needed cuts.
What???? What universe are you living in??? Obama has made it clear that he has no intention of making meaningful cuts of any kind. And he didn't play the Pubs like a fiddle. They simply had no cards to play. They will have more cards in the debt ceiling negotiations, but they still have the weaker hand. The Pubs want meaningful cuts -- any thinking person should want the same thing. But Obama only wants more redistribution. He will never agree to any cuts that are painful to anyone but the rich. And without painful cuts to everyone, our debt will continue to rise until no one will loan us money and we can't print any more without hyperinflation.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
C5sarge
DC Crew

Member #105729

My Corvette(s)
09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I think it depends on what you are talking about. The number of government employees? Maybe that has gone down, I don't know. But government expenditures? No way. Government spending has gone into hyper drive since Obama took office and Obamacare hasn't even hit yet. When it does, the needle will fall off of the guage.

What???? What universe are you living in??? Obama has made it clear that he has no intention of making meaningful cuts of any kind. And he didn't play the Pubs like a fiddle. They simply had no cards to play. They will have more cards in the debt ceiling negotiations, but they still have the weaker hand. The Pubs want meaningful cuts -- any thinking person should want the same thing. But Obama only wants more redistribution. He will never agree to any cuts that are painful to anyone but the rich. And without painful cuts to everyone, our debt will continue to rise until no one will loan us money and we can't print any more without hyperinflation.
Cuts? That's why he wanted sole control over the debt ceiling bypassing the process and law.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
MR BRNS C6

Member #73972

My Corvette(s)
2006 Silver Fish

I think we should've went over the cliff. Going over the cliff would have given the Republicans their spending cuts and the Democrats their tax increases. Automatic compromise
MR BRNS C6 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Smithers, unleash the hounds!
Edelbrock E-Force 1593 & Magnaflow exhaust for that healthy American sound. Before SC 354 RWHP, after SC 484 RWHP. That's all I can do and still pass California smog.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
I find it truly laughable that
The "conservatives" are now crying about the growth of government while it grew the most under GW Bush and second most under Ronal Raegan. It has actualy shrunk consistantly under Obama, but the cries of government growth continue as they alway do under a Democrat president.
Good God!
Most people stop drinking after New Years Day.
the machine must be on a binge that will last
the entire year.
Either that or he is just plain delusional.
C6 CRUZR is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.