Illinois Dems advance gun control bills; handguns, pump shotguns in ban - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Illinois Dems advance gun control bills; handguns, pump shotguns in ban

Illinois Senate Democrats advanced legislation late Wednesday to restrict semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines, pressing forward with new gun control measures in the waning days of the session over the objections of firearms groups.

Amid the developments, the Illinois State Rifle Association issued an “urgent alert” to its members warning them that Democratic legislators were trying to push through last-minute anti-gun legislation.

“There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering,” the group stated in its alert. “You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the state police and avoid prosecution.”

A Senate committee approved two bills, one dealing with the weapons and the other with magazines. Democratic supporters could face a tough sell in the full Senate.

One measure would ban the possession, delivery, sale and transfer of semiautomatic handguns and rifles. People who currently own such weapons could keep them but would have to register them. The bill would allow semiautomatic weapons to be used at shooting ranges, but those facilities would be regulated.

National Rifle Association lobbyist Todd Vandermyde told lawmakers the bill would restrict about 75 percent of handguns and 50 percent of long guns in circulation today. He also said it would treat law-abiding gun owners like criminals, and is in conflict with Second Amendment rights upheld by the courts.

"I've never seen a piece of legislation that tramples on so many court decisions," Vandermyde said.

The other bill, introduced by Democratic state Sen. Dan Kotowski, would limit ammunition magazines to 10 or fewer rounds.

Those pushing for enhanced restrictions say stricter rules are needed in the wake of a string of high-profile mass shootings -- most recently the deadly school shooting in Newtown, Conn. Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn had been trying earlier this year to pass new legislation in the wake of the Colorado movie theater shooting, but lawmakers are taking another crack at it.

Kotowski sponsored legislation in 2007 that would have prohibited assault weapons and .50-caliber rifles. His bill made it through a Senate committee but died on the floor.

Another Democratic state lawmaker, Antonio Munoz, introduced the ban on all assault weapons “designed for war.”

Quinn has repeatedly tried to get stricter laws on the books but has fallen short.

The state Senate got back to work Wednesday. The House plans to return Monday. Both legislative bodies are working against a Jan. 9 deadline -- when the state’s new General Assembly will be sworn-in.

Gun manufactures in Illinois have already threatened to leave the area if laws limiting guns are put in place. ArmaLite owner Mark Westrom told FoxNews.com that he’s been fielding offers from at least two others states to move his operation if gun control laws in Illinois are pushed through.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2Gvkv8S1b
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

This is the time of year that the Illinois state senate does all its work - the last few hours of their lame duck session. Remember 2010?

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Liberals gone wild in Illinois lame duck session

SPRINGFIELD - Liberals have gone wild in the Illinois lame duck session starting with President John Cullerton's Democrat-controlled Senate, who in the first day of a three day session moved legislation to legalize same sex marriage, mandate gun registration and ban assault weapons. Expected next is legislation to legalize medical marijuana and expand gambling yet again.

The Illinois House will meet next Monday and Tuesday to take up what gets past the Senate.

Stories on Illinois Review -
•Same sex marriage proposal slowed down in Illinois Senate
•Assault weapons ban passes Illinois Senate committee
•Chicago Democrats Introduce Assault Weapons Ban For Illinois
•ISRA: Talk of gun ban can't distract from Emanuel's decaying record on crime
•By-the-numbers: Illinois gay marriage vote too close to call
•ILGOP Chair sees gay marriage as 'equality issue' and 'true conservative position'

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/il...k-session.html
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
This is the time of year that the Illinois state senate does all its work - the last few hours of their lame duck session. Remember 2010?

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Liberals gone wild in Illinois lame duck session

SPRINGFIELD - Liberals have gone wild in the Illinois lame duck session starting with President John Cullerton's Democrat-controlled Senate, who in the first day of a three day session moved legislation to legalize same sex marriage, mandate gun registration and ban assault weapons. Expected next is legislation to legalize medical marijuana and expand gambling yet again.

The Illinois House will meet next Monday and Tuesday to take up what gets past the Senate.

Stories on Illinois Review -
•Same sex marriage proposal slowed down in Illinois Senate
•Assault weapons ban passes Illinois Senate committee
•Chicago Democrats Introduce Assault Weapons Ban For Illinois
•ISRA: Talk of gun ban can't distract from Emanuel's decaying record on crime
•By-the-numbers: Illinois gay marriage vote too close to call
•ILGOP Chair sees gay marriage as 'equality issue' and 'true conservative position'

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/il...k-session.html
All typical democratic stuff...nothing surprising.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
All typical democratic stuff...nothing surprising.
Nope. It's not surprising.
The timing of WHEN they push it through is typical Illinois democrat stuff too.

THAT's the point of the thread.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Nope. It's not surprising.
The timing of WHEN they push it through is typical Illinois democrat stuff too.

THAT's the point of the thread.
The timing is typical as well,... don't see anything new or unexpected.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
The timing is typical as well,... don't see anything new or unexpected.
TYPICAL of ILLINOIS DEMOCRATS. You're really keeping up.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
TYPICAL of ILLINOIS DEMOCRATS. You're really keeping up.
Just because you havne't noticed it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Nothing new. I understand though that on a 24/7 news cycle, there will be a lot of non-news stuff.

If it's news to you.. then I salute you Sir!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Just because you havne't noticed it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Nothing new. I understand though that on a 24/7 news cycle, there will be a lot of non-news stuff.

If it's news to you.. then I salute you Sir!
What the Fuck are you jabbering about????

Please show us WHERE in this thread anybody claimed this was unexpected or new?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
What the Fuck are you jabbering about????

Please show us WHERE in this thread anybody claimed this was unexpected or new?
You missed my point. I'm saying that it's not news [to me]. Of course it could be news for someone who didn't know.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

If it weren't for "the last minute," nothing would ever get done in politics. Fiscal Cliff stuff too.

But to this article...the only thing I can see as reasonable is the restriction of private sales and required registrations of guns. No way are private citizens doing the proper checks on new owners (or is it even legal to sell weapons to an individual from an individual?)

And don't weapons have to be registered anyway? If you own it legally and it's legal, whats the problem?
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
You missed my point. I'm saying that it's not news [to me]. Of course it could be news for someone who didn't know.
And you missed the point of the entire thread or are you just trying to spin away from the actions of the liberals in Illinois?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
And you missed the point of the entire thread or are you just trying to spin away from the actions of the liberals in Illinois?
...not at all, all I'm saying is that in my view, that's typical and ordinary for libs in Illinois.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Frank-n-Vett
DC Crew

Member #104215

My Corvette(s)
1999 Coupe

Kind of weird, Illinois is just about bankrupt, and all they're worried about are guns and gays. Chicago had over 500 gun killings last year, with the toughest gun laws in the nation, gun control works Just got this email a few minutes ago, not sure if true, but makes sense:

OLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER !!

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott
Frank-n-Vett is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-n-Vett View Post
Kind of weird, Illinois is just about bankrupt, and all they're worried about are guns and gays. Chicago had over 500 gun killings last year, with the toughest gun laws in the nation, gun control works Just got this email a few minutes ago, not sure if true, but makes sense:

OLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER !!

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott
I think that needs to be posted in every state congress and every state capital. It needs to be posted in the white house and the congress as well. WELL SAID.
StillCrazy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #15
fremaochris
DC Crew

Member #120559

fremaochris is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.