My Seat Mod - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
smartguy5692
DC Crew

Member #81712

My Corvette(s)
75 stingray

My Seat Mod

This is my guide for installing Miata seats in a c3 corvette. First of let me say that the easiest way to do this is to just drill new holes for the new seats and that will only take 5 minutes to install. I however went a different route. After seeing that with many other seat mods a bracket was made to convert the tracks from the old seats to the new ones, but because I am not an accomplished wielder, I made everything without a wielding. I set off on what I thought would be a super simple mod. I went to the local hardware store and bought 3 /16” x 3 – ft flat piece of steel. This will be the adapter between the seat and old bracket. Using clay and some wooden boards a made a prototype of the plates
The wooden plates look like this.
16” by 3” plate
The measurements are shown in the pictures

Note these measurements will get the seat in but may require some minor adjustments to make the fit perfect. Also note that these are for the stock bolt pattern on a 1975 corvette and the bottom of a late 1990’s Miata (remove the seat tracks on the Miata seats). Now this was kind of the easy part, you will need the original bolts used on the old seats and 8 new bolts. 4 allen head bolts (the black ones) and 4 carriage Bolts. The carriage bolts are used between the adapter plate and the old seat tracks (the outside holes). These bolts are important because there is very little space and you are unable to get a wrench on bolt head. To tighten it square holes were made and the nuts can be tightened up without the bolt rotating. I used the carriage bolts I had lying around the garage, so after test fitting I had to shorten them so the seats can slide forward and backwards. The allen head screw are used to attach the old tracks to the plate.
This is the basic procedure; I can get more measurements in the future. It would be a couple weeks as I am on winter break and the car is at the college I’m attending. I will update this with more information later but I thought I would share my success.

One problem was that while I was doing this is replaced all the carpeting and added some thick insulation to the interior. When this was done a slight problem occurred with the driver’s seat getting “stuck” on the carpeting. It wasn’t actually stuck, just difficult to slide when it is rubbing against the carpeting. In the pictures u can see that the seats are really sunk in and the bottom can get stuck. The fix was to add a thick washer in-between the seat and adapter plate.
smartguy5692 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I may be rude but I'm just telling the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
drbluevert
DC Crew

Member #37283

My Corvette(s)
1971 SB 4 spd. coupe white and blue, 1972 Barn-find, SB - auto, White w/red, 2006 Z06 earliest known

Those seats look exactly like the ones in my 2003 Jeep Wrangler. That's a lot of work, looks like those seats are bigger - a tighter fit for someone that maybe tall - are you going to recover in leather?
drbluevert is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rich
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
smartguy5692
DC Crew

Member #81712

My Corvette(s)
75 stingray

Actually they fit perfectly, and they provide more room for taller people. I am over 6 foot and I fit in fine as it sits lower. my roommate is 6 and half feet and he even fits in (not great but he can fit in it).
smartguy5692 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I may be rude but I'm just telling the truth.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

What are you going to do with your old seats?
AirbornSilva is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.