Cops kicked out of Denny's for having guns; chief bans Denny's - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Cops kicked out of Denny's for having guns; chief bans Denny's

Are you a cop? Do you carry a gun? Don't go to the Denny's in Belleville, Ill.

You are not allowed, the police chief says. Not after what happened Tuesday.

The flapjacks -- sorry, the flap -- began when several on-duty detectives with the Belleville Police Department dropped in to Denny's for some on-duty noshing, according to local media.

They had their badges and their guns, but as detectives, not their uniforms, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. This bothered a patron who then complained to a manager, David Rice, who then complained to one of the detectives: Please take your gun to your car or leave. No guns allowed.

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer," Denny's spokeswoman Liz DiTrapano said in a statement, according to the News-Democrat. "Denny's policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant, and we regret any misunderstanding."

Denny's sure does, because despite the efforts of a general manager who tried (and failed) to clear up the misunderstanding before the detectives left, the department's chief banned on-duty and off-duty police in uniform from returning to the restaurant.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Police Chief William Clay said, according to the News-Democrat.

"This individual [Rice] was the manager of Denny's. He therefore speaks for Denny's, in my mind. This policy effectively prohibits on-duty sworn police officers from dining in a Denny's Restaurant, but allows 'registered sex offenders,' 'felons' and or 'pedophiles' to enjoy a dining experience in Denny's."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7366488.story
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

I don't know the law in IL, can you (a normal citizen) carry a concealed weapon?

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer,"

^this pretty much says it all, and depending on the state law, I don't blame the restaurant. If a cop is not in uniform, then he is not a cop at that given time. Can an off-duty cop in a civilian vehicle pull you over for speeding?

Also, can't a restaurant refuse service to anyone if they choose so?
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

I thought the chief went a little overboard, but it's really not hard to spot a plainclothes officer when his gun is exposed, usually the badge is as well.

Off duty cops, in their jurisdiction are generally still cops.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Wow, that is gonna suck for Denny's in that area. Now they are prime late night robbery targets.

Most 24 hour establishment in this area offer free coffee and soft drinks to on duty police just to attract a higher presence of officers at night.

Well this is what a culture of gun fear brings you.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
If a cop is not in uniform, then he is not a cop at that given time.
Huh? Are you saying detectives aren't cops? I know a few who might disagree. I can't imagine it took more than 30 seconds from the time the manager confronted these guys before he found out they had badges. The "upon further discussion" line is BS. It could not possibly have taken much discussion to clear it up. Denny's will have some 'splainin to do.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

In PA, open carry is perfectly legal for any person over 18, so this situation has happened to many non-cops in my state. When it does, we do exactly what those officers did. We leave and never return.

The Denny's right next to the gun club has no problem with 20 of us OCing on a Sunday morning on the way to the range. We are all big boys and eat heartily.

Illinois! Those guys need to get some freedom over that way!
BJC99Hardtop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BJC99Hardtop For This Useful Post:
rlphvac (01-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.