FBI: More People Killed with Hammers, Clubs Each Year Than Rifles... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

FBI: More People Killed with Hammers, Clubs Each Year Than Rifles...

According to the FBI annual crime statistics, the number of murders committed annually with hammers and clubs far outnumbers the number of murders committed with a rifle.

This is an interesting fact, particularly amid the Democrats' feverish push to ban many different rifles, ostensibly to keep us safe of course.

However, it appears the zeal of Sens. like Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Joe Manchin (D-WV) is misdirected. For in looking at the FBI numbers from 2005 to 2011, the number of murders by hammers and clubs consistently exceeds the number of murders committed with a rifle.

Think about it: In 2005, the number of murders committed with a rifle was 445, while the number of murders committed with hammers and clubs was 605. In 2006, the number of murders committed with a rifle was 438, while the number of murders committed with hammers and clubs was 618.
And so the list goes, with the actual numbers changing somewhat from year to year, yet the fact that more people are killed with blunt objects each year remains constant.

For example, in 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs.

While the FBI makes is clear that some of the "murder by rifle" numbers could be adjusted up slightly, when you take into account murders with non-categorized types of guns, it does not change the fact that their annual reports consistently show more lives are taken each year with these blunt objects than are taken with Feinstein's dreaded rifle.

Another interesting fact: According to the FBI, nearly twice as many people are killed by hands and fists each year than are killed by murderers who use rifles.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-rights...#ixzz2GxFuLYff
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

True, but they know that hammers and clubs would be useless against a crackdown.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Probably because most people with guns don't carry around rifles, they carry hand guns.

Is that a rifle in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
Probably because most people with guns don't carry around rifles, they carry hand guns.

I wear a trenchcoat...
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
I wear a trenchcoat...
Honestly though, rifle are not the guns of choice for concealed weapons. You have to at least agree with me on that?

This sounds like another one sided story.....

If they included hand guns in this, this story wouldn't exist. It's just a pro-gun, anti gun control thing they are pushing.

Remember though, I am anti-gun control.....
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
rifle are not the guns of choice for concealed weapons.
I'd say most blunt force murders are crimes of passion, and not something someone would use to plan a massacre.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

This has already been shown to be BS in another thread about gun deaths vs. baseball bat deaths. Far more people are killed by guns than hammers.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

According to Snopes, in 2005, there were 2868 deaths by guns "other than handguns". There were 671 deaths by blunt objects, which would probably include hammers.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Quote:

Then why are people on the left so adamant about banning scary rifles or assault weapons as they like to call them?
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
Then why are people on the left so adamant about banning scary rifles or assault weapons as they like to call them?
I completely agree! I have no idea!

Over the years there has been more and more gun control, and there has been more (and more often) serious gun crimes.

Maybe we should ban trench-coats!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
This has already been shown to be BS in another thread about gun deaths vs. baseball bat deaths. Far more people are killed by guns than hammers.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

According to Snopes, in 2005, there were 2868 deaths by guns "other than handguns". There were 671 deaths by blunt objects, which would probably include hammers.
Very true! but how much easier is it to get away from someone with a bat/hammer, as compared to a gun?

How much easier would it be for a group of people to stop someone with a hammer or bat, as compared to a gun?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

I don't think any reasonable person things that banning guns is going prevent murders. I certainly don't. The concern (as least for me) is the ability of anyone to commit mass murder easily.

Someone shooting one person and killing them...yea...that's sad, but we'll never stop it. Someone walking into a crowded theater or a school or a mall...etc...and cracking off hundreds of rounds...THAT is what needs to be addressed in some way or another.
XQIZT is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
I completely agree! I have no idea!

Over the years there has been more and more gun control, and there has been more (and more often) serious gun crimes.

Maybe we should ban trench-coats!
It's a fact that the more "Anit" [fill in the blank], the more of it you will have.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I don't think any reasonable person things that banning guns is going prevent murders. I certainly don't. The concern (as least for me) is the ability of anyone to commit mass murder easily.

Someone shooting one person and killing them...yea...that's sad, but we'll never stop it. Someone walking into a crowded theater or a school or a mall...etc...and cracking off hundreds of rounds...THAT is what needs to be addressed in some way or another.
The problem is that nothing short of a total gun ban AND confiscation is just pissing into the wind and even that won't solve the problem because bad/crazy people and even some good people won't turn in their guns.

Also, just to show how silly the current "ugly black rifle/assault rifle/military like weapon" discussion really is, check out...
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-shootings-map

Way more mass killers use handguns; often multiple handguns. So that alone proves that banning "assault rifles" is nothing more than half-assed, feel good legislation by scared people who really don't have a clue how to fix the problem.

...but all of these points have already been made here in 5 different threads and nobody cares. Those that think they need to fight tyranny still do, those that think gun ownership is simply a right that shouldn't be taken away still do, those that think the government is incapable of getting gun control legislation correct (me) still do, and those who are scared and want someone to just do something still just want someone to make them feel safer.
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

They are targeting a particular style, not because of the frequency they are used, but they manner they can be used. We live in interesting times..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.