Re: 1 trillion dollar coin! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Re: 1 trillion dollar coin!

I heard about this story a bit ago and just laughed my ass off when I read it .

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/07/funny-money-pundits-float-1-trillion-coin-as-answer-to-debt-ceiling-standoff/
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I saw that article this morning. My first thought was that if the Fed ever loses control with their anti-inflationary policies - and they probably will if the economy doesn't bounce back - we may need one of those coins to fill up our cars with gasoline.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I saw that article this morning. My first thought was that if the Fed ever loses control with their anti-inflationary policies - and they probably will if the economy doesn't bounce back - we may need one of those coins to fill up our cars with gasoline.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Minting this coin is a rediculous thing to do and is only surpassed in it's rediculousness by the idea that not raising the debt cieling is a way of controling our debt.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1962 327/300hp, 1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

Stupidity on an unprecedented level. The true value of ANYTHING is determined by what an actual buyer is willing to pay for it. Does anyone think this proposed coin is anything other than a scam? If it's worth a trillion dollars, sell it and take the poor fool's money. If, as we all know, it isn't . . . . Why waste the time and effort on minting a platinum coin? Make it out of plastic, or just draw one on a napkin. Tell everyone it's worth twenty-seven jillion badillion megakillion dollars, and suddenly the USA Treasury is flush again.

Madness. Any currency backed by nothing is worth nothing, not whatever you say it is.
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Another consideration: We are constantly worried about our currency being undermined with worldwide counterfeiting of our $100 bills. Imagine what would happen with counterfeiting of $1T coins! And I don't care how they protect it - anything can be counterfeited.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Another consideration: We are constantly worried about our currency being undermined with worldwide counterfeiting of our $100 bills. Imagine what would happen with counterfeiting of $1T coins! And I don't care how they protect it - anything can be counterfeited.
Very true! Especially when there are always insiders willing to sell us out.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
Stupidity on an unprecedented level. The true value of ANYTHING is determined by what an actual buyer is willing to pay for it. Does anyone think this proposed coin is anything other than a scam? If it's worth a trillion dollars, sell it and take the poor fool's money. If, as we all know, it isn't . . . . Why waste the time and effort on minting a platinum coin? Make it out of plastic, or just draw one on a napkin. Tell everyone it's worth twenty-seven jillion badillion megakillion dollars, and suddenly the USA Treasury is flush again.

Madness. Any currency backed by nothing is worth nothing, not whatever you say it is.
Well not to put to fine a point on it but the treasury does actualy set the denomination of bills and coins. They can make any denomination they choose and the face value is what they say it is in dollars. Now the value of the dollar could drop or rise so that what that coin could buy $1 trillion worth of may be more or less than what it could buy on the day it was minted...that is a function of what the world thinks our money is worth relative to other currencies.

As to the metal the coin is minted from...the law that allows this to happen in the first place specifies that the coins must be of gold or platinum.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Well since the plan was to make one of these coins and put it directly into the federal reserve vault....I think someone trying to spend a $1 trillion dollar coin would bring some suspicion upon himself. But it would be supper convenient to use to buy something like the brooklyn Bridge.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
Well since the plan was to make one of these coins and put it directly into the federal reserve vault....I think someone trying to spend a $1 trillion dollar coin would bring some suspicion upon himself. But it would be supper convenient to use to buy something like the brooklyn Bridge.
True, but then the counterfit would only happen at the highest levels between governments. I could easily see china having a stack of them in no time .

You're right about the fed's role in this, and as I'm sure you'll agree,.. the biggest problem we have right now is that the fed doesn't suffer any of the consequences from the decisions they take....only the taxpayer.

Last edited by c6vettedude; 01-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1962 327/300hp, 1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

Quote:
Well not to put to fine a point on it but the treasury does actualy set the denomination of bills and coins. They can make any denomination they choose and the face value is what they say it is in dollars. Now the value of the dollar could drop or rise so that what that coin could buy $1 trillion worth of may be more or less than what it could buy on the day it was minted...that is a function of what the world thinks our money is worth relative to other currencies.
No one is debating the legality of this world-class shell game, only it's wisdom. It's legal to eat a railroad tie, too.
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
VetteUSA
I have poor impulse control.

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)
'93 LT1 Coupe (2005 - 2011). '08 CTS (Now)

I think I know the difference between Democrats and Republicans now. Democrats will come up with idiotic ideas, like this 1 trillion dollar coin, to pay off debt; Republicans won't resort to this kind of tactic, they'll just idiotically keep charging it to the govt's credit card.
VetteUSA is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
No one is debating the legality of this world-class shell game, only it's wisdom. It's legal to eat a railroad tie, too.
Well actualy the railroad tie preservation act of 1926 prohibits the destruction in any way of railroad ties. I think eating them would count as destruction.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteUSA View Post
I think I know the difference between Democrats and Republicans now. Democrats will come up with idiotic ideas, like this 1 trillion dollar coin, to pay off debt; Republicans won't resort to this kind of tactic, they'll just idiotically keep charging it to the govt's credit card.
Exactly! But isn't continuing to charge it to the govt's cc an "idiotic idea"??
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
VetteUSA
I have poor impulse control.

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)
'93 LT1 Coupe (2005 - 2011). '08 CTS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
Exactly! But isn't continuing to charge it to the govt's cc an "idiotic idea"??
Yes, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteUSA View Post
VetteUSA is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.