Blown speaker in passenger door of my C5...which speaker is it? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Blown speaker in passenger door of my C5...which speaker is it?

So I'm rocking out with my buddy to some Band of Gypsies on Saturday and we hear a slight rattle/farting noise. Flip all the dials around and finally deduce that it's the Bose speaker in the kick panel of the passenger door of my 99 C5. I have the 12 disc CD changer in the trunk, and the cassette deck in the dash with the AM/FM radio, by the way.

I see that there are two options for this speaker.

Door #1) Just the 8" woofer/tweeter combo sold by Ecklers as part #:46038
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1997-2004.html

$139 plus shipping

or is it...

Door #2) 8" woofer and tweeter with 100w amplifier sold as part #: 43777

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1997-2004.html

$355 plus shipping.

Anyone know how to tell before I have to take the door panel off?
ScumOne is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Nobody knows?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Spiderpat
Web Head

Member #39596

My Corvette(s)
04 Z06 aka The Black Widow

All you need to do is get the speaker. They all have the $355 piece. You just need the speaker is what it sounds like.
Spiderpat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Black Widow

Most of my patients survive no matter what I do to them
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
... Anyone know how to tell before I have to take the door panel off?
Try using your ears. You can clearly see the configuration that's behind the grill so put your ear down there and listen. One thing to note before you spend a dime. The Bose emblem has been known to rattle and make the speakers sound like they're blown so you may want to put your finger on that emblem and see if the sound changes.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
gmjunkie
DC Crew

Member #33628

My Corvette(s)
69 300/350/3sp,78 L82 Cp.,81 Red Auto Cp., 01 ZO6 Black,03 Z51 6Sp. Cp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
One thing to note before you spend a dime. The Bose emblem has been known to rattle and make the speakers sound like they're blown so you may want to put your finger on that emblem and see if the sound changes.

The grill will buzz and rattle in the trim panel too!
I've pulled the door trim panels off, re-crimped the grill and added a drop or two of Hot Glue or RTV to all the tabs!
gmjunkie is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
junk!!"Let your plans be murky and confused in daylight, and when you move, fall like a wet turd." - Sonny Toefoo
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Raydawg357
DC Crew

Member #77421

My Corvette(s)
c5

Why don't you eliminate the guessing and remove the door panel. If it is the 8" sub, you can find the complete setup in excellent condition on ebay for a lot cheaper. If it's the smaller tweeter, you can replace it with any aftermarket 3" tweeter since it isn't amplified.
Raydawg357 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the Bose emblem to see if it's rattling first.

What I'm trying to do is get the replacement part ordered before I yank the door panel since I would like to minimize the downtime, and have it ready to replace (if needed) before I yank the door panel off.

I was hoping there was a code for the sound system on the door sticker or somewhere that would identify it first, if possible.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
... What I'm trying to do is get the replacement part ordered before I yank the door panel since I would like to minimize the downtime, and have it ready to replace (if needed) before I yank the door panel off.
Do you buy cylinder heads before you open the hood and see that all you need are spark plug wires? That's about how crazy what you posted sounds. There's nothing to pulling the door panel off. Know what you need BEFORE you spend a dime. That's just common sense.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Quote:
Do you buy cylinder heads before you open the hood and see that all you need are spark plug wires? That's about how crazy what you posted sounds. There's nothing to pulling the door panel off. Know what you need BEFORE you spend a dime. That's just common sense.
Junkman, please! Stop getting all righteous and fighteous (just made that word up!) with me!!

As I have said many times, my time is extremely limited. I don't have the luxury of taking the door panel off, putting it back on, ordering the correct part, then waiting, pulling it off, replacing and putting it back on if it can be avoided.

So just cool your "Let's get into it!" jets, would ya please?

WTF, no babes visiting your garage lately? You sound a bit cranky, sir!

I've been working like a madman lately...start at 4 am, stop at 7pm, walk the dog, eat dinner, kiss the wife and back in bed at 8pm to do it all over again.

The good news...it's a lot of money, enough where I'm considering buying a second C5 with a six speed manual.

The bad news, no time to go get that car, or pull the door panel off this one.

This is why I don't have the luxury of just "yanking the door off and finding out"...OK?

EDIT: In response to other potential causes/fixes...the Bose logo isn't rattling, nor is the grill on the door. So it appears to be down to the $355 woofer/tweeter/100w amp, or the 8" woofer for $140.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Have you considered finding the parts used? ....and probably considerably cheaper through a Corvette recycler
After all, they did build quite a few of them.
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #11
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Junkman, please! Stop getting all righteous and fighteous (just made that word up!) with me!!

As I have said many times, my time is extremely limited. I don't have the luxury of taking the door panel off, putting it back on, ordering the correct part, then waiting, pulling it off, replacing and putting it back on if it can be avoided.

So just cool your "Let's get into it!" jets, would ya please?

WTF, no babes visiting your garage lately? You sound a bit cranky, sir!

I've been working like a madman lately...start at 4 am, stop at 7pm, walk the dog, eat dinner, kiss the wife and back in bed at 8pm to do it all over again.

The good news...it's a lot of money, enough where I'm considering buying a second C5 with a six speed manual.

The bad news, no time to go get that car, or pull the door panel off this one.

This is why I don't have the luxury of just "yanking the door off and finding out"...OK?

EDIT: In response to other potential causes/fixes...the Bose logo isn't rattling, nor is the grill on the door. So it appears to be down to the $355 woofer/tweeter/100w amp, or the 8" woofer for $140.
I'm just trying to get you to use a more logical approach to trouble-shooting 101. I've never been a shotgun repair type of guy because I hate the blind, in the dark feeling of fixing something without knowing what I'm doing. But if you have bucks to burn, go for it. Just send me all the parts that you replace and find out that they are still good.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly03Z06 View Post
Have you considered finding the parts used? ....and probably considerably cheaper through a Corvette recycler
After all, they did build quite a few of them.
I build guitar amp speakers and cabinets for a living. The first thing I asked about was a recone kit, or refoam kit for the speaker. Turns out that Bose doesn't offer those and no one makes them aftermarket, either.

And buying a used speaker doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to save $50 on the speaker now, then have to do it all again in 2-3 years, I'd rather buy a new one (as soon as I find out which new one!) and do it right.

Quote:
I'm just trying to get you to use a more logical approach to trouble-shooting 101. I've never been a shotgun repair type of guy because I hate the blind, in the dark feeling of fixing something without knowing what I'm doing. But if you have bucks to burn, go for it. Just send me all the parts that you replace and find out that they are still good.
I realize my time constraints for repair do not jive with your troubleshooting 101. If I had that kind of time to repair, order, troubleshoot and let the car sit, that woudl be great. But I don't.

And after more testing, it is the speaker, so unless you want a rattling/farts when bass notes are played through it type of speaker, you're not getting a good used part!

But WTF...email me your address and I'll send it to you anyway!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

A lot of people would buy both speakers, remove the panel, use the speaker they need, and return the one they didn't. Not recommending it, but it's one way to only have to open it up once.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

If you have money, but no time (like me), then take it to the dealer. I did that when my driver's side went.
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGS View Post
If you have money, but no time (like me), then take it to the dealer. I did that when my driver's side went.
Ok, 3rd edit is the charm. The $140 replacement woofer fits in the $355 100w powered amp/tweeter assembly.

So if your woofer is toast, great, you just replace that part only. If your tweeter goes, or the amplifier, then you buy the whole $355 enchilada.

So I got off cheap. And since I was being so charming on the phone to Cory @ Eckler's, he knocked 10% off the price, and it was just over $140 w/shipping from Bose direct to me.

Last edited by ScumOne; 01-10-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.