$293B deficit in 1st quarter 2013 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

$293B deficit in 1st quarter 2013

Which the CBO says will lead the way to a fifth straight year of $1T deficit. I wonder how long The Machine thinks we can sustain this madness?

The federal government ran up a $293 billion deficit in the first quarter of fiscal 2013, which ended Dec. 31, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated Tuesday. The government's fiscal year starts on Oct. 1st.
At this pace, the deficit would be on pace to top $1 trillion for the fifth-straight year in 2013. All the trillion-dollar deficits have taken place under President Obama.
By the White Houseís own estimate, the New Yearís Eve tax deal with Congress will only reduce the deficit by $4 billion this year, once increased spending such as on unemployment benefits is taken into account.

The first-quarter shortfall was $29 billion less than in the first three months of fiscal 2012, CBO said.
The improvement is due to increased tax revenue of $60 billion, an 11-percent increase. Payroll taxes were up $44 billion and corporate income taxes were up $7 billion.

The $909 billion in spending was basically unchanged from 2012 to 2013. As more and more Americans retire, Social Security spending was up $12 billion and Medicare was up $6 billion

Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

blckslvr79 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Obama gonna fix it. He promised. He just needs more money. As soon as all the extra comes in, we'll be golden.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Obama gonna fix it. He promised. He just needs more money. As soon as all the extra comes in, we'll be golden.
Yup.

Golden Showered.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Which the CBO says will lead the way to a fifth straight year of $1T deficit. I wonder how long The Machine thinks we can sustain this madness?

The federal government ran up a $293 billion deficit in the first quarter of fiscal 2013, which ended Dec. 31, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated Tuesday. The government's fiscal year starts on Oct. 1st.
At this pace, the deficit would be on pace to top $1 trillion for the fifth-straight year in 2013. All the trillion-dollar deficits have taken place under President Obama.
By the White Houseís own estimate, the New Yearís Eve tax deal with Congress will only reduce the deficit by $4 billion this year, once increased spending such as on unemployment benefits is taken into account.

The first-quarter shortfall was $29 billion less than in the first three months of fiscal 2012, CBO said.
The improvement is due to increased tax revenue of $60 billion, an 11-percent increase. Payroll taxes were up $44 billion and corporate income taxes were up $7 billion.

The $909 billion in spending was basically unchanged from 2012 to 2013. As more and more Americans retire, Social Security spending was up $12 billion and Medicare was up $6 billion

What I think Tex is that we cannot just stop spending. If you think we can, by all means please explain how the president would do that constitutionaly. Congress sets the spending policy. Congress is the only body that can reduce the spending.

So what is your solution???? You are very good at pointing out the problem, but just like the republicans in the house very short on solutions.

I have proposed a solution....now it's your turn.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
What I think Tex is that we cannot just stop spending. If you think we can, by all means please explain how the president would do that constitutionaly. Congress sets the spending policy. Congress is the only body that can reduce the spending.

So what is your solution???? You are very good at pointing out the problem, but just like the republicans in the house very short on solutions.

I have proposed a solution....now it's your turn.
The only sane thing to do is for the president to lead a bipartisan effort to establish entitlement reform. That doesn not mean immediate gargantuan spending cuts. It means a plan to slowly but deliberately tighten up benefits so that the numbers work out down the road. Right now, the pres and Dems are basically saying they won't attack entitlements. Without this effort, and without it being bipartisan, spending can NEVER be cut. How can we NOT start down this road??
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
The only sane thing to do is for the president to lead a bipartisan effort to establish entitlement reform. That doesn not mean immediate gargantuan spending cuts. It means a plan to slowly but deliberately tighten up benefits so that the numbers work out down the road. Right now, the pres and Dems are basically saying they won't attack entitlements. Without this effort, and without it being bipartisan, spending can NEVER be cut. How can we NOT start down this road??
So if the president comes out tomorrow and says that Social Security will starting next year only be paid out to those making under X amount a year and the same for medicair, you would stop looking at the deficit. Maybe you might but I guarantee that the republicans would not.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
So if the president comes out tomorrow and says that Social Security will starting next year only be paid out to those making under X amount a year and the same for medicair, you would stop looking at the deficit. Maybe you might but I guarantee that the republicans would not.
There is no one thing that will solve the problem. The ultimate solution probably involves increasing eligibility age (at first one year, and later maybe two years) for SS and Medicare. It also probably includes some means testing. People who have significant income in their retirement may have to pay more for their benefits. And then, of course there are other entitlements. Eventually we are going to have to back off of the lengthy unemployment benefits and get back to a more reasonable time limit. There also needs to be a reworking of food stamps and other welfare payments. Does this country really need to be buying food for 1 in 7 of it's citizens? We didn't 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. Do our payments to single mothers encourage having more and more children? We need to look at that and put some disincentives in place for having more children than they can support. There are many ways to reform our entitlements. All of the reforms would make unhappy voters. But the alternative is a future where the entire support system comes falling down and those who need the help the most can't get it. Why can't libs understand this?

On a side note - the effects of all of this are already hitting. Just this week, my 89 year old Dad and my 52 year old brother with Down Syndrome got a letter from their primary care physician. After Feb 28th, he will no longer see Medicare patients. They will be looking for a new doctor, and most are not taking new Medicare patients. I saw their doc yesterday and asked him what is up. He said they evaluate their costs vs. reimbursement on all insurance plans every year, and they have literally been losing money on Medicare patients for three years due to vastly reduced payment to primary care doctors. For my Dad, not being able to find a doctor will be the same as not having insurance. And this is only the beginning of the problems we face as more people hit retirement.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
There is no one thing that will solve the problem. The ultimate solution probably involves increasing eligibility age (at first one year, and later maybe two years) for SS and Medicare. It also probably includes some means testing. People who have significant income in their retirement may have to pay more for their benefits. And then, of course there are other entitlements. Eventually we are going to have to back off of the lengthy unemployment benefits and get back to a more reasonable time limit. There also needs to be a reworking of food stamps and other welfare payments. Does this country really need to be buying food for 1 in 7 of it's citizens? We didn't 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. Do our payments to single mothers encourage having more and more children? We need to look at that and put some disincentives in place for having more children than they can support. There are many ways to reform our entitlements. All of the reforms would make unhappy voters. But the alternative is a future where the entire support system comes falling down and those who need the help the most can't get it. Why can't libs understand this?

On a side note - the effects of all of this are already hitting. Just this week, my 89 year old Dad and my 52 year old brother with Down Syndrome got a letter from their primary care physician. After Feb 28th, he will no longer see Medicare patients. They will be looking for a new doctor, and most are not taking new Medicare patients. I saw their doc yesterday and asked him what is up. He said they evaluate their costs vs. reimbursement on all insurance plans every year, and they have literally been losing money on Medicare patients for three years due to vastly reduced payment to primary care doctors. For my Dad, not being able to find a doctor will be the same as not having insurance. And this is only the beginning of the problems we face as more people hit retirement.
I agree with all you say here but the extended unemployment is temporary as is the added food stamps. Those were extended as part of the stimulas plan when the economy tanked. It was supposed to expire on Jan 1 but it was extended. It will at some point not be extended just as the payroll tax reducion was not extended. The funny thing about that is that as the payroll reduction was allowed to laps people on here started attacking Obama about the increase in taxes, again on something that was just temporary.

I do not know anything about payments to single mothers or getting more for more children. I think that was done away with when the welfare reform was passed by Clinton. perhaps you could point out where I might find out about this. But as far as more children for single women...I am all for less or no children for single women, which is why I am pro-Choice.

Welfare itself has not changed since Clinton signed the reforms....so I am not sure what else you would like to see change.

As for Medicair....that system is where we have our biggest problems. But the only way to solve that problem is to either reduce the cost of health care or limit how much health care people on that plan can get. I think Obama is trying to do the first....and that was the idea behind Obama care. I guess we will see if that works. But if it doesn't the only way I see of keeping medicair at all, is to limit the amount that is spent... especialy on the last year of life. That will not go over well.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I agree with all you say here but the extended unemployment is temporary as is the added food stamps. Those were extended as part of the stimulas plan when the economy tanked. It was supposed to expire on Jan 1 but it was extended. It will at some point not be extended just as the payroll tax reducion was not extended. The funny thing about that is that as the payroll reduction was allowed to laps people on here started attacking Obama about the increase in taxes, again on something that was just temporary.

I do not know anything about payments to single mothers or getting more for more children. I think that was done away with when the welfare reform was passed by Clinton. perhaps you could point out where I might find out about this. But as far as more children for single women...I am all for less or no children for single women, which is why I am pro-Choice.

Welfare itself has not changed since Clinton signed the reforms....so I am not sure what else you would like to see change.

As for Medicair....that system is where we have our biggest problems. But the only way to solve that problem is to either reduce the cost of health care or limit how much health care people on that plan can get. I think Obama is trying to do the first....and that was the idea behind Obama care. I guess we will see if that works. But if it doesn't the only way I see of keeping medicair at all, is to limit the amount that is spent... especialy on the last year of life. That will not go over well.
Here is an article about how Obama is gutting welfare reform. It is basically through removing the work requirements that were central to Clinton's welfare reform.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...9XkW_blog.html

And Obamacare is not at all about helping seniors or Medicare recipients. It is about taking funds from Medicare to support the free insurance of the 47 million uninsured - mostly young - people. Obamacare is a giant wealth transfer from the old to the young. Guess what group Obama wants to nail down as reliable life-long Democrats?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Here is an article about how Obama is gutting welfare reform. It is basically through removing the work requirements that were central to Clinton's welfare reform.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...9XkW_blog.html

And Obamacare is not at all about helping seniors or Medicare recipients. It is about taking funds from Medicare to support the free insurance of the 47 million uninsured - mostly young - people. Obamacare is a giant wealth transfer from the old to the young. Guess what group Obama wants to nail down as reliable life-long Democrats?
Cmon Tex...that story was debunked durring the campaign...http://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/doe...elfare-reform/

As for Obama care...the goal is to get alot more people especialy young people to participate in health insurance, so that they help fund the more expensive older people. That is the way other insurance has always worked but not in health insurance. In auto insurance the good drivers that never file claims pay for the bad drivers who have an accident. In life insurance young healthy people pay for those who die. But what was happening in health insurance was that young people whould not go for health insurance. They figured they were healthy so why bother. If they got sick they simply went to the ER and got free health care that we then all paid for. (basicaly the reverse of what other forms of insurance do to function) Now those who can afford it must pay a fine or buy the insurance. the fine does at least something to cover those costs that we all used to cover, and if the young person gets insurance then they are covered if they get sick and again we don't pay. As for those whos insurance we pay for....we were paying for their treatment before anyway. At least this way they go to a doctor instead of the far more expensive ER. That in theory will save lots of money...I guess we will see.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Cmon Tex...that story was debunked durring the campaign...http://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/doe...elfare-reform/

As for Obama care...the goal is to get alot more people especialy young people to participate in health insurance, so that they help fund the more expensive older people. That is the way other insurance has always worked but not in health insurance. In auto insurance the good drivers that never file claims pay for the bad drivers who have an accident. In life insurance young healthy people pay for those who die. But what was happening in health insurance was that young people whould not go for health insurance. They figured they were healthy so why bother. If they got sick they simply went to the ER and got free health care that we then all paid for. (basicaly the reverse of what other forms of insurance do to function) Now those who can afford it must pay a fine or buy the insurance. the fine does at least something to cover those costs that we all used to cover, and if the young person gets insurance then they are covered if they get sick and again we don't pay. As for those whos insurance we pay for....we were paying for their treatment before anyway. At least this way they go to a doctor instead of the far more expensive ER. That in theory will save lots of money...I guess we will see.
For a smart guy, you sure throw out some stupid answers.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

But I expect that the vast majority of those young people make less than the 2X poverty line or whatever ended up being the benchmark. That means you, me and Medicare seniors get to pay for their insurance. That doesn't exactly pump a whole lot of new money into the pool. It just takes more from the ones who are already paying or who have spent a lifetime paying.

As for factcheck.org - they are far left puppets. Just google Obama undoing welfare reform and you will find many many articles. There is no doubt that he did allow states to reduce or remove work requirements for many recipients. That's the Executive Branch using it's power to supercede Congress successful legislation. And the bottom line is that Clinton's plan was widely held to be a major success in moving people from welfare to work. Why mess with that plan at all??
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
The solution is for the house to shut it down. No compromise, no exceptions. Gov shutdown is fine. Either they have to live within their means.. or be done away with.
Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.