Weird noises coming from engine bay - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
ND4g
DC Crew

Member #70211

My Corvette(s)
1985 Coupe, Black - bought at a Garage Sale

Weird noises coming from engine bay

I have a weird clicking or clacking sound coming out of the engine area. I started hearing it mostly when I am along side another vehicle while sitting at a red light.
I opened the hood to give a close listen and also notice that it is NOT constant, and I cannot determine for sure that it may not vary with engine speed. Except for the roar of the engine when I rev it, again, I am not sure, but I think the sound goes away at higher RPM.

Thinking that it was a constant speed sound, and not varying with engine speed, I thought maybe I was losing my fan, or something was lose and occasionally hitting the fan. I disconnected the fan as a test, and the sound was still there.

I did a little more research and now think it may be coming from the Serpentine belt, or that area. Possibly, the Belt Tensioner.

Any thoughts? Guidance or advice to help nail down what the issue may be?

FYI - The belt was claimed to have been changed by the previous owner about a year before I purchased the car, and I have the car now for 5 years this February. I have put about 20,000 miles on the car in my almost 5 years of ownership. (< 117K).

Also, since I may be changing the belt this would be a good time to replace the AIR Pump with the AIR Pump Delete bracket/pulley kit.

--Rich
ND4g is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
There are only 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary, and those who don't.

K&N Air Filter w/Open Air Lid
Throttle Body bypass, Throttle Body Air Foil
HIB/Halogen headlamps, HID Foglamps
Mesh debris screen (radiator shield) covering lower air intake.
Rebuilt 700R4 Transmission @102K miles, w/custom Shift Kit.
Accel Distributor Cap and Rotor
Accel 8.8mm Spark Plug wires
Ported & Polished Plenum;
Converted dual exhaust, with Hi-Flo cats, and X-Pipe.
Remoted the MAT sensor, only because the connector broke off during the Plenum Port & Polish project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Could be a small exhaust leak.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 01-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)
86e w/91 facias soon to be GS replica and now a 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4g View Post
I have a weird clicking or clacking sound coming out of the engine area. I started hearing it mostly when I am along side another vehicle while sitting at a red light.
I opened the hood to give a close listen and also notice that it is NOT constant, and I cannot determine for sure that it may not vary with engine speed. Except for the roar of the engine when I rev it, again, I am not sure, but I think the sound goes away at higher RPM.

Thinking that it was a constant speed sound, and not varying with engine speed, I thought maybe I was losing my fan, or something was lose and occasionally hitting the fan. I disconnected the fan as a test, and the sound was still there.

I did a little more research and now think it may be coming from the Serpentine belt, or that area. Possibly, the Belt Tensioner.

Any thoughts? Guidance or advice to help nail down what the issue may be?

FYI - The belt was claimed to have been changed by the previous owner about a year before I purchased the car, and I have the car now for 5 years this February. I have put about 20,000 miles on the car in my almost 5 years of ownership. (< 117K).

Also, since I may be changing the belt this would be a good time to replace the AIR Pump with the AIR Pump Delete bracket/pulley kit.

--Rich
Look over belt and pulleys well. I have seen a small rock get stuck in the grooves and do the same sort of thing. Might also be a valvetrain noise. At 117K they need at least an adjustment and usually about ready for a new cam and lifter set. The old flat tappet set up doesent last near as long as the more modern roller does. Hard to tell for sure where it might be coming from without being there but these two would be a start. A valve adjustment would only cost you cover gaskets and would be good maintenence anyway.
wildcatlock is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
ND4g
DC Crew

Member #70211

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Could be a small exhaust leak.
Hmmm. Would never have thought of this. How do I check this out? What do I look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlock View Post
Look over belt and pulleys well. I have seen a small rock get stuck in the grooves and do the same sort of thing. Might also be a valvetrain noise. At 117K they need at least an adjustment and usually about ready for a new cam and lifter set. The old flat tappet set up doesent last near as long as the more modern roller does. Hard to tell for sure where it might be coming from without being there but these two would be a start. A valve adjustment would only cost you cover gaskets and would be good maintenence anyway.
Since the belt is at least 6 years old, I guess I can change it out, considering the cost is so little to change vs. the cost if it breaks while I am out driving.
I doubt the valvetrain, I mean other than a mechanical failure related to it... The heads and all related was rebuilt by the previous owner when the car was about 80K miles, or so he said when I was buying it from him.
Plus, I bought a set of polished aluminum valve covers which I had my mechanic put on for me about a year or so ago, and if there was anything happening in there, I know he is good enough, that he would have told me.
There are only 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Remoted the MAT sensor, only because the connector broke off during the Plenum Port & Polish project.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
ND4g
DC Crew

Member #70211

My Corvette(s)

follow-up

Hey guys,
I found it to be my alternator. An interesting symptom... apparently the bearings in the rotor assembly was starting to go bad.... there were no electrical symptoms as most would expect, but the intermittent noise that I previously described earlier in this post.
So with new alternator, I also changed the serpentine belt and Belt Tensioner, and while at it, the A.I.R. Pump delete pulley kit.
With all the parts on hand I went at it....
The belt was too big!!!
I took a closer look and sure enough the pulley on the AIR delete kit was a little smaller than the pulley from the original AIR Pump. There was not enough adjustment to compensate, and had to scramble and get another belt locally. After reviewing the site I purchased the belt from, I did see that there are two different sizes.
Is the two sizes because of the AIR Pump delete kit, or did I actually order the wrong size belt to begin with? Were there other issues that I was not aware of on my car that I will need to know if the new belt should break, or down the road when it comes time to order yet another one?
--Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.