Why the C7 couldnt have round tail lights...it would be THIS car! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
TightSS
DC Crew

Member #60793

My Corvette(s)
94 Torch Red sold, 88 35th Anniv #445 sold, 91 Red ZR-1 Sold, 2012 Torch Red GS Convertible

Why the C7 couldnt have round tail lights...it would be THIS car!

I love the new C7, would have loved to have round taillights just like many of you. It doesn't, and well, if it had...maybe Ferrari would have sued them....

If you look at all of the new Ferrari cars, the C7 is VERY similar in many ways....and it had to be different somehow. I think it could have been TOO much like this car if it had...and it wouldn't have bothered me, but many would have bitched about that too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	599GTOback.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2845  

Last edited by TightSS; 01-15-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: pic didnt show up correctly
TightSS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1962 327/300hp, 1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

There are any number of ways that round taillights could have been successfully incorporated into the C7. GM just decided to go a different way, that's all. Some will like the new look, some will hate it. There are several photoshops on the web showing C7's with round taillights, some actually look pretty nice. I'm sure many more of these renderings will show up as time passes, and I'm also sure one or more aftermarket kit will show up with replacement round-light rear fascias. I would never do that, but some will. I doubt that GM will go back to round taillights on the Corvette for the life of the C7, whatever that may be.
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fyreline For This Useful Post:
Aleem 1983 (04-26-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
TightSS
DC Crew

Member #60793

My Corvette(s)
94 Torch Red sold, 88 35th Anniv #445 sold, 91 Red ZR-1 Sold, 2012 Torch Red GS Convertible

Im fully aware of that ...my POINT is that it would look just like the Ferrari 599 GTO if they did regardless of how they did it, the car would look that much MORE like the 599....thats all.

the interesting thing is that looking at the pics of the 599, the cars are FAR more similar than I thought.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

I don't see it - if GM had incorporated round tail lights in the C7, it certainly wouldn't have looked like those ridiculous round lights in the 599.

If the 599 is the standard by which a sports car design is to be judged, then I'm glad I can't afford one - it looks like a first pass styling exercise with stuff glued on here and there to approximate what the final version should look like.

Maybe some trailer manufacturer can sue Ferrari for copying their trailer tail light design in the 599!

Steven
OldVetteFan is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

C7 vs Ferrari

First, renderings in this forum have already proven the Stingray would look great, simply with semi circle tail lights inserted in the existing housings...

Second, the C7 makes that Ferrari look like a toad. No really. I mean the amphibian...
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
91redragtop
DC Crew

Member #23899

My Corvette(s)
2011 Grand Sport Convertible 2000 red vert-sold, 1991 red vert-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa61 View Post
First, renderings in this forum have already proven the Stingray would look great, simply with semi circle tail lights inserted in the existing housings...

Second, the C7 makes that Ferrari look like a toad. No really. I mean the amphibian...
The 599, especially the GTO is one of the most beautiful cars ever built!! I love Vettes, but the C7 has a LONG way to go before it's in the realm of the Ferrari!! The only way it beats a new Ferrari is in money saved in purchasing, maintenance and upkeep!!
91redragtop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?"

2011 Grand Sport Vert- All stock and staying that way!!
Sold-1991 Vert- Stock except for Cut airlid and K&N filter, bullett mufflers
Sold- 2000 Vert- LS6 intake, Smooth coupler, SLP Blackwing, XR281HR Comp Cam, 918 springs, Chromoly Pushrods, titanium retainers, MSD Wires, E3 Platinum Plugs, LG Longtubes, X-pipe, B&B Quad-tip Bullets, No cats, HP tuning custom tune, C6 Z06 shocks, C6 Z51 Swaybars, Lowered, custom hood and spoiler and paint
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

You're dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91redragtop View Post
The 599, especially the GTO is one of the most beautiful cars ever built!! I love Vettes, but the C7 has a LONG way to go before it's in the realm of the Ferrari!! The only way it beats a new Ferrari is in money saved in purchasing, maintenance and upkeep!!
A) the 599 looks like a toad. Both C6 and C7 make it look like an amphibian. The C7 makes it look like a 25 year old toad.

B) the C6 ZR-1 whips the 599 in every objective performance category. FLOGS IT RUTHLESSLY.

C) the Ferrari makes you pay 3X what the Vette costs to get your ass whipped by it...

C) Any Vette is vastly more reliable and cost effective than any Ferrari. It's not close.

Last edited by iowa61; 01-18-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: syntax
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
TightSS
DC Crew

Member #60793

My Corvette(s)

you still miss the point

Gee whiz fellas....my point is NOT that round tail lights would look like the cans on the ferrari. LOOK at the 599. if you were to overlay the car on the new c7 there are OBVIOUS similarities and lines. I didn't just say they are an EXACT replica. MERELY that they are very similar.

I personally LOVE the new c7. I'm not tearing it down in ANY way.

the original statement is based on the fact that there are SO many similar body lines, that MAYBE they were avoiding ONE more....thats all.

IF you cant see the similarities, then you probably cant see even REMOTE similarities of the rectangular lights to the camaro's (similarities, NOT direct copies)...and/or any similarities to the 599 either.

Sure, some TALENTED poster on here came up with semi-round lights within the same space that look great....hooray, it still doesnt take away thet the two cars, DO IN FACT have very similar lines.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
TightSS
DC Crew

Member #60793

My Corvette(s)

another 599 pic to see the similarities.

this pic is easier to see similar body lines from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FerrariF599GTO.1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2852  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
91redragtop
DC Crew

Member #23899

My Corvette(s)
2011 Grand Sport Convertible 2000 red vert-sold, 1991 red vert-sold

Quote:
A) the 599 looks like a toad. Both C6 and C7 make it look like an amphibian. The C7 makes it look like a 25 year old toad.

B) the C6 ZR-1 whips the 599 in every objective performance category. FLOGS IT RUTHLESSLY.

C) the Ferrari makes you pay 3X what the Vette costs to get your ass whipped by it...

C) Any Vette is vastly more reliable and cost effective than any Ferrari. It's not close.
I think I will have to throw out the suggestion to get your eyes checked if you don't like the 599 GTO!! Yes, you pay 3X more and they are more reliable but you probably should check your specs if you think the ZR1 flogs the GTO ruthlessly!! You need to show me this ruthless flogging because I just looked online and it looks like the 0-60 time is faster, the top-speed is faster. I own a C6 and love Corvettes but if I had the cash a 599 GTO would be sitting in my garage!! Love me some amphibian Ferrari!!!
91redragtop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?"

2011 Grand Sport Vert- All stock and staying that way!!
Sold-1991 Vert- Stock except for Cut airlid and K&N filter, bullett mufflers
Sold- 2000 Vert- LS6 intake, Smooth coupler, SLP Blackwing, XR281HR Comp Cam, 918 springs, Chromoly Pushrods, titanium retainers, MSD Wires, E3 Platinum Plugs, LG Longtubes, X-pipe, B&B Quad-tip Bullets, No cats, HP tuning custom tune, C6 Z06 shocks, C6 Z51 Swaybars, Lowered, custom hood and spoiler and paint
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
alexandro777
DC Crew

Member #20294

rounded tali lamps would have make it look like this
alexandro777 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)
Lingenfelter Modified 2011 White/Titanium w/ CG Headlamp Override/Grey Comp. Wheels

Quote:

Woah....

If you have ever been in Ferrari (any Ferrari) you might not be so quick to put it down? Corvette does not compete with Ferrari in any way. I've had both and love both.

The problems with Ferrari are all dealer organization related. Their dealers blackmail you if you want one. You must first buy what they want you to buy and then sell it back to them for a loss. Then you get in line or some fascimile of this type insane program.

I'd rather my car have a slight resemblance to Ferrari than Camaro but I don't really think this is such a big issue. The C7 looks like the designers stole design ideas from Nissan GTR in the rear quarter window as well as many others.

My feeling is that Corvette should lead the way not follow. I think GM/Chevrolet designers are way more capable than having to copy anything from anyone. The car is beautiful in it's own way and I suspect tweaks in the next few years will only make it better. I just went into a Chevy dealership and slammed the door on a ZL1 Camaro from sitting in the drivers seat. The hollow sounding rattle left me feeling that other than the similar (not exact) tail lights, there are no other similarities the two cars have "almost" in common?
RFenton1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

Yes, absolutely, Corvette should SET design trends rather than follow them... i'm not against an all new design but keep some design ques of the last 50 years in the tradition as well so we all know its a corvette. As the next Gen GTR, i think this design would have been great because it keeps in touch with GTR design elements... oops... sorry guys...
They should have just gotten rid of those rear quarter windows...altogether.
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
flrtaylor
DC Crew

Member #74667

I have a 2008 C6 which I love dearly. I also love the Camaro (mine was a 1969 vintage). They are different cars but both are design classics.
The Camaro taillights on a Corvette is like mixing a little 'poop' into the ice cream (it just ruins it!).
If not for the rear end on the C7, I'd seriously consider trading my C6 for a C7 given the improvements in chassis, brakes, engine, and interior design.
FYI for those who say change is good (for change's sake) - the reason the iconic 911 is considered the best sports car in the world is because they don't screw around with a classic design - they just keep makinig it better and more Porsches are being sold in the latest generation than ever before. Meanwhile the market for the corvette continues to shrink.
Coca Cola dropped the new coke formula after only six months on the market - perhaps the 2015 model will drop the rear end rectangles.
The C7 rear end is 'vulgar' in it's esthetics. I feel the same above the overblown angles in the Cadillac CTX-V series and the new Camaro, and the GM designers almost did the same on the C7.
The products produced as a result of the (current) GM design philosophy will not age like wine, more like milk.
Bottom line - GM sholdn't alienate a significant portion of the market for their vehicles.
Subtlety and good taste never go out of style - garishly deisgned products will make a beeline for the trashheap - regardless of what's under the bonnet.
flrtaylor is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Pure round lights wouldn't fit the sharp edges of the C7 plain and simple. I'm not saying they couldn't be more rounded or more reminiscent of the C6 lights but a standard circle or oval just wouldn't look right.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.