C7 Thoughts - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
I_Love_Clams
DC Crew
 
Posts: 15
Member #118883
Member since: May 2012

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Unhappy C7 Thoughts

Now that the cat is out of the bag, many points of view are coming to the forefront. Some love the new car, and some hate it. Even Ed Welburn said it had the 'potential' to be polarizing. While the word potential might be an understatement, the car is our new C7 love it or hate it.

If anyone recalls my previous posts, I am not a fan of the car. I have had the opportunity to view and play with the car at some length and while I had hoped it would grow on me, it has not. In fact, the more I look at it the more things I dislike.

The Camaro tailights are the car's biggest glaring flaw. For those who do not see the resemblance, the only logic I can find is that you are lying to yourselves, out of brand loyalty, or disbelief perhaps, I'm not sure.

When you get past the Camaro tailights, the rear end is still greatly flawed. Some have noticed, there is a bump in the middle. It is almost a nose. Why? I suppose this is intented to be a nod to the 63' teardrop design that comes to a point in the rear? Whatever the reason, there should not be a nose in the middle of the rear bumber.

As far as things I'm ok with, the black vents and the quad exhaust. Those can stay. Though the Lexus LF-A does the venting much better.

I will not comment on the side and front much. Some have said they look like the new Viper. The Viper has always been a pretty car, the new one is exquisite, and an example of the proper way to update a car. I can see the resemblance to the Viper in the new Vette's front and sides, it is vague but there. Regardless, front and sides of the new Vette are more subtle than the Viper and are 'lacking' for a better word, boring.

The wheel presented thus far, not bad...but not great.

On to the interior. I applaud the similaries to the late C4 interior design. It is warm, inviting, and familiar. However, there are a few things that just don't make sense to me.

The six sided squarish thing in the middle of the steering wheel. Nothing to say about that other than, er?

Then we have the radio. It is retro style unit that looks as though it was pulled directly out of the Camaro. Are we not over with this retro styling trend? Can we get on with the future?

Last thing about the interior, carbon fiber. Why? It is the earmark of boy racers and high class exotics. No one wants to be associated with the former, so fail in that regard. And with regard to the latter, aren't we a little late to the party? Can't we do something original with corvette that the other guys didn't do? Oh wait, we did, we gave it a nose in the middle of its butt. Fail.

Ed Welburn should be ashamed of himself and so should any Corvette fan who buys one of these. You may love the car but be aware that due to how polarizing the car is, every time you show up to a car show someone will be there to ask why you bought the Corvette that looks like a Camaro, or Cormero, and I'll be among them because I just can't understand why anyone would want this car.

There are many great car designs on the market right now or on the horizon. The Sideswipe concept was good, the Lexus LF-A is good, the new Viper is good, the 2015 Mustang is even good, the Ferrari 458 Italia is genius. There are lots of great cars coming down the line, the new Corvette just isn't one of them. It may be great from an engineering perspective, but it doesn't matter because of the car's exterior. Unless they change the design of the rear, as far as I'm concerned the Corvette stops with the C6. I know some hope that people buy this car so that we can have a C8. No. I would rather this car kill Corvette and be exposed for the fraud it is, if we lose Corvette in the process, maybe GM will learn a lesson, because it doesn't seem like they've learned anything from their failures in 2008.

As far as the claim that this car is for a younger audience, I am in my early 30s. I have been going to car shows and been in Corvette clubs since I could drive. This car does not appeal to me. If I were to buy a new sports car on the market right now I would buy the new Viper. If I'm looking to spend a little less money I might buy a Z4 roadster, heck I might even buy a ZL-1 Camaro convertible. But I will not, and I think I speak for most whether you agree or not, buy a C7 that looks like what Welburn has given us.
I_Love_Clams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
sixpeedreams
DC Crew
 
sixpeedreams's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,004
Member #17449
Member since: Sep 2004
Location: Milwaukee USA

My Corvette(s)
'80 & '95 Z28's (poor man's Vettes)

Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Sorry you feel that way. I think its the most radically styled Corvette introduced since 1968. But time and sales will tell whether Ed Welburn is a hero or zero. IMO if it performs well the styling will NOT hold this car's popularity back.
sixpeedreams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can crack your finger, but don't finger your crack.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
PNHNDLE96CE
 
Posts: 4,990
Member #14104
Member since: Jun 2004
Location: Florida

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Thanks: 113
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
While the rear styling is less than attractive in my eyes, the performance promises can overcome it. If it doesn't perform as Chevy says, well....
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
I_Love_Clams
DC Crew
 
Posts: 15
Member #118883
Member since: May 2012

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpeedreams View Post
Sorry you feel that way. I think its the most radically styled Corvette introduced since 1968. But time and sales will tell whether Ed Welburn is a hero or zero. IMO if it performs well the styling will NOT hold this car's popularity back.
Styling will not hold it back? Styling is the backbone of every car on the market. If a car looks good, people then want to take a closer look at the car, and then the interior. If they still like what they see, they'll take it for a drive. So, it seems to me that styling is the first thing people look at and engineering is the last.

The Pontiac Aztec might have been a great car, was certainly innovative in some ways but the public did not like its appearance, and it failed as a result.

I think simply because the C7 is new it will sell, but after they people who love the design have bought the first year model I'm not sure who will be left to buy the second.
I_Love_Clams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
raidmagic
DC Crew
 
raidmagic's Avatar
 
Posts: 32,298
Member #1067
Member since: May 2003
Location: Brandon, FL.

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Thanks: 30
Thanked 87 Times in 57 Posts
You liked Sideswipe but you don't like this? Really?
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05




Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read


Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raidmagic For This Useful Post:
leshelt (01-16-2013), Z06Fiend (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
AlexY
DC Crew
 
AlexY's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
Member #8935
Member since: Feb 2004
Location: New York, NY

Thanks: 17
Thanked 37 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Clams View Post
Styling will not hold it back? Styling is the backbone of every car on the market. If a car looks good, people then want to take a closer look at the car, and then the interior. If they still like what they see, they'll take it for a drive. So, it seems to me that styling is the first thing people look at and engineering is the last.

The Pontiac Aztec might have been a great car, was certainly innovative in some ways but the public did not like its appearance, and it failed as a result.

I think simply because the C7 is new it will sell, but after they people who love the design have bought the first year model I'm not sure who will be left to buy the second.
I'm sorry you feel this way. Truly I do, but I disagree with you almost wholeheartedly. In fact, the only things I do agree with you are that the Viper, LF-A, and 458 Italia are all beautiful cars.

But I think this pole as well as this pole prove you are in the minority. This car looks stunning. I understand the dissatisfaction with the tail-lights; they are a departure from the traditional Corvette taillights that have adorned our beloved car since 1961. Are there similarities between the C7 taillights and the Camaro? Sure, they have a similar shape, just as the GT-R's taillights have a similar shape to the old Chevy Impala...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have every right to dislike this car, but to call this car a "fail" or to suggest anyone who buys one should be ashamed will just lead to you having to put your foot in your mouth when the sales reports come out. I love this car, and when I do finally buy one, feel free to call me out for driving a "Cormero" to a Corvette Rally because I won't hear you as I'm speeding away from you.
AlexY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexY For This Useful Post:
TheMelkMan (01-16-2013), Z06Fiend (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
bkuper
DC Crew
 
bkuper's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,717
Member #16
Member since: Jan 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Thanks: 130
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
You liked Sideswipe but you don't like this? Really?
As the kids say "I know, right?"
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
BLK 1
 
BLK 1's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,615
Member #66549
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: 75 in a 60

My Corvette(s)
2013 427 Convertible / 2014 WRX-STi

Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexY View Post
I'm sorry you feel this way. Truly I do, but I disagree with you almost wholeheartedly. In fact, the only things I do agree with you are that the Viper, LF-A, and 458 Italia are all beautiful cars.

But I think this pole as well as this pole prove you are in the minority. This car looks stunning. I understand the dissatisfaction with the tail-lights; they are a departure from the traditional Corvette taillights that have adorned our beloved car since 1961. Are there similarities between the C7 taillights and the Camaro? Sure, they have a similar shape, just as the GT-R's taillights have a similar shape to the old Chevy Impala...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have every right to dislike this car, but to call this car a "fail" or to suggest anyone who buys one should be ashamed will just lead to you having to put your foot in your mouth when the sales reports come out. I love this car, and when I do finally buy one, feel free to call me out for driving a "Cormero" to a Corvette Rally because I won't hear you as I'm speeding away from you.
BLK 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
speeddaddy
DC Crew
 
Posts: 428
Member #95319
Member since: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, Texas

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Man I respect your opinion, and I understand your frustration. Early on I felt the same way, but the more I studied the leaked photos the more they grew on me until I have fallen in love with the car and what it represents. It is a cutting edge vehicle. It has challenged us to rethink what Corvette "Is", and that is the painful part for many. I am just as guilty as any other for initially hating it because it was not what I expected to see. Looking at it now really has made me look past the "non round lights" that pissed me off. I see it as the more advanced vehicle that it is, and it is the first time in a long time that I have said I wish I could afford to buy this car brand new right now. Hell, I'm finally accepting the fact that people don't want to pick up the phone and hold a conversation, they just want to text. Reserve judgement until we see that bad boy rolling down the highway. I think a lot of us will be surprised at our reaction.
speeddaddy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
bkuper
DC Crew
 
bkuper's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,717
Member #16
Member since: Jan 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Thanks: 130
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Clams View Post
Now that the cat is out of the bag, many points of view are coming to the forefront. Some love the new car, and some hate it. Even Ed Welburn said it had the 'potential' to be polarizing. While the word potential might be an understatement, the car is our new C7 love it or hate it.

If anyone recalls my previous posts, I am not a fan of the car. I have had the opportunity to view and play with the car at some length and while I had hoped it would grow on me, it has not. In fact, the more I look at it the more things I dislike.

The Camaro tailights are the car's biggest glaring flaw. For those who do not see the resemblance, the only logic I can find is that you are lying to yourselves, out of brand loyalty, or disbelief perhaps, I'm not sure.

When you get past the Camaro tailights, the rear end is still greatly flawed. Some have noticed, there is a bump in the middle. It is almost a nose. Why? I suppose this is intented to be a nod to the 63' teardrop design that comes to a point in the rear? Whatever the reason, there should not be a nose in the middle of the rear bumber.

As far as things I'm ok with, the black vents and the quad exhaust. Those can stay. Though the Lexus LF-A does the venting much better.

I will not comment on the side and front much. Some have said they look like the new Viper. The Viper has always been a pretty car, the new one is exquisite, and an example of the proper way to update a car. I can see the resemblance to the Viper in the new Vette's front and sides, it is vague but there. Regardless, front and sides of the new Vette are more subtle than the Viper and are 'lacking' for a better word, boring.

The wheel presented thus far, not bad...but not great.

On to the interior. I applaud the similaries to the late C4 interior design. It is warm, inviting, and familiar. However, there are a few things that just don't make sense to me.

The six sided squarish thing in the middle of the steering wheel. Nothing to say about that other than, er?

Then we have the radio. It is retro style unit that looks as though it was pulled directly out of the Camaro. Are we not over with this retro styling trend? Can we get on with the future?

Last thing about the interior, carbon fiber. Why? It is the earmark of boy racers and high class exotics. No one wants to be associated with the former, so fail in that regard. And with regard to the latter, aren't we a little late to the party? Can't we do something original with corvette that the other guys didn't do? Oh wait, we did, we gave it a nose in the middle of its butt. Fail.

Ed Welburn should be ashamed of himself and so should any Corvette fan who buys one of these. You may love the car but be aware that due to how polarizing the car is, every time you show up to a car show someone will be there to ask why you bought the Corvette that looks like a Camaro, or Cormero, and I'll be among them because I just can't understand why anyone would want this car.

There are many great car designs on the market right now or on the horizon. The Sideswipe concept was good, the Lexus LF-A is good, the new Viper is good, the 2015 Mustang is even good, the Ferrari 458 Italia is genius. There are lots of great cars coming down the line, the new Corvette just isn't one of them. It may be great from an engineering perspective, but it doesn't matter because of the car's exterior. Unless they change the design of the rear, as far as I'm concerned the Corvette stops with the C6. I know some hope that people buy this car so that we can have a C8. No. I would rather this car kill Corvette and be exposed for the fraud it is, if we lose Corvette in the process, maybe GM will learn a lesson, because it doesn't seem like they've learned anything from their failures in 2008.

As far as the claim that this car is for a younger audience, I am in my early 30s. I have been going to car shows and been in Corvette clubs since I could drive. This car does not appeal to me. If I were to buy a new sports car on the market right now I would buy the new Viper. If I'm looking to spend a little less money I might buy a Z4 roadster, heck I might even buy a ZL-1 Camaro convertible. But I will not, and I think I speak for most whether you agree or not, buy a C7 that looks like what Welburn has given us.
I disagree with nearly everything I just read in this post, except for the 458 and Z4 comments.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkuper For This Useful Post:
Atheris (01-17-2013), Z06Fiend (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
C2C3C4C6
DC Crew
 
C2C3C4C6's Avatar
 
Posts: 585
Member #14484
Member since: Jul 2004
Location: Glen Cove, NY/USA

My Corvette(s)
2005 Black/Ebony coupe

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Just do a search on the Ferrari F12 and look at some images to see how the C7 is a botched up version of this car, created by a head of styling who thinks every damn line on a car has to be a knife edge. I'm keeping my C6...the last Vette.
C2C3C4C6 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
AlexY
DC Crew
 
AlexY's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
Member #8935
Member since: Feb 2004
Location: New York, NY

Thanks: 17
Thanked 37 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6 View Post
Just do a search on the Ferrari F12 and look at some images to see how the C7 is a botched up version of this car, created by a head of styling who thinks every damn line on a car has to be a knife edge. I'm keeping my C6...the last Vette.
Really? You think the ET rear end of the F12 looks better than the C7?

The F12 is a beautiful car, but style-wise I personally thing the C7 is a better looking car. JMHO
AlexY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
DRM87
DC Crew
 
DRM87's Avatar
 
Posts: 752
Member #59652
Member since: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible(Sold), 2001 Corvette Z06 SW(Sold), 1999 FRC 441lsx custom widebody

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When I first laid eyes on the C5 I was in love...but when the C6 came out I was incredibly disappointed. Still am. Which is why after I sold my Z, I stayed with another C5. I only considered jumping to a C6 for performance reasons.

After all the C6 is just a C5.5. So seeing the C7 I am in love again. It is radically different and that's why I love it. The rear end is perfect. I'm sure when we all see it on the road our jaws will drop.

...plus, those round tail lights have been played out anyway.
DRM87 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,677
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 538
Thanked 164 Times in 137 Posts


Here we go again.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
I_Love_Clams
DC Crew
 
Posts: 15
Member #118883
Member since: May 2012

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexY View Post
I'm sorry you feel this way. Truly I do, but I disagree with you almost wholeheartedly. In fact, the only things I do agree with you are that the Viper, LF-A, and 458 Italia are all beautiful cars.

But I think this pole as well as this pole prove you are in the minority. This car looks stunning. I understand the dissatisfaction with the tail-lights; they are a departure from the traditional Corvette taillights that have adorned our beloved car since 1961. Are there similarities between the C7 taillights and the Camaro? Sure, they have a similar shape, just as the GT-R's taillights have a similar shape to the old Chevy Impala...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have every right to dislike this car, but to call this car a "fail" or to suggest anyone who buys one should be ashamed will just lead to you having to put your foot in your mouth when the sales reports come out. I love this car, and when I do finally buy one, feel free to call me out for driving a "Cormero" to a Corvette Rally because I won't hear you as I'm speeding away from you.
I think its actually too late to not call this car the Cormero. I would say nearly 30-40% of Vette lovers, even fans of the car will call it that.

Regarding polls. Any poll on a Vette site is going to be biased simply because of brand loyalty. Just like if the poll was on a Viper site, the Viper would get more votes. As for the Motortrend poll, the car was just released, the Viper and the other cars were released months ago if not years. The new factor alone will get the C7 votes. The Corvette name gets it votes as well even if it looked like a Pinto. So there is a great deal of bias. And there are people on this site trying to get people to go vote for the Vette. Again, bias.

A true poll would be one that is put out about 6 months from now when the public has gotten used to the car, and where forum sites like this one don't send voters over to it to vote.

Sure its possible I'm wrong about the sales. No way to know until next year. Regardless, by that time I will have likely picked up a Viper. And I guarantee you if you put both those cars in a parking lot, the Viper will get more pictures any day of the week. I would gladly put that to a challenge.
I_Love_Clams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved