Lets address those "camaro" taillights. - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Lets address those "camaro" taillights.

I keep hearing people complaining about the Camaro tail lights on the C7 corvette. I know that part of this is a fear of change and some is just plain dislike. While there is no accounting for taste I would like to point out one thing on the camaro tail lights. While the bezel around the lights may be squareish, the part of the lens that actualy lights up is round...at least for 1/2 of it. It is flattened at the top. They actualy look very much like the photo shopped rear that someone here did of the C7 with rounded tail lights.

Furthermore the C7 tail lights are quite a different shape than even the bezel on the Camaro since the on the Camaro the bezel is closer to a square that is rounded at the corners and tapers out at the top, while the C7 lights are more of a trapzoid that sques the tops of the rectangle out toward the outsides of the car.

I really think that this Camaro tail light fobia is more of a self perpetuating fear of change than an actual comparison between the two cars.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the machine For This Useful Post:
raidmagic (01-17-2013), Z06Fiend (01-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

ok

We all know it's corporate compliance. GM is more interested in the general public recognizing a vehicle as "GM" prior to recognizing what model it is.

It's all marketing.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
The Following User Says Thank You to blckslvr79 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
C5 Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
99 C5

I think most have moved past the Camaro looking issue and we have pretty much agreed that you either like them or you don't.

Me= But who knows, the C4 was the King for me for awhile, then the C5 was (and is) the one. The C6 looks better to me as time goes by. Maybe in a year or two I will like the C7 ok.

Who knows.

C5 Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Tuned by KP Racing - http://www.kpracing.com
Vara-Ram Cold air, CompCams Torquer V2, .675 Double Racing Springs, Titanium Spring Hardware, High Volume Oil Pump, Cloyes Heavy Duty Type R Roller Chain Set, Pfadt motor and diff mounts, ECS trans/diff brace, Spec stage 3 clutch, TIC Adjustable Master, Kooks Long Tubes, Kooks High Flows with X Pipe, Corsa Muffs
The Following User Says Thank You to C5 Dude For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
djsroknrol
DC Crew

Member #114747

My Corvette(s)
1984 L83/MD8 red coupe

Garage
The reveal showed the true rear end and frankly, it really isn't all that bad. If the air flow vents next to the taillights are functional that would be a plus. The only thing I have a problem with is the narrowing rear window and those 'ol partially blacked out side windows creating, what I feel, is one hell of a blind spot much like the Camaros I've been in lately....Yes I know about mirrors, but I don't rely on them totally

Other than that one observation, I think the C7 will do well when it's finally available
djsroknrol is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
This Vette was a long time comin'....

MY BLOG - MY OTHER LOVE

....And remember, there's no place like /~
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

I don't care that the tail lights are square. I care that they got their design inspiration for the tail lights from the... ahem... Camaro.

In fact, the entire car has the problem of being inspired by other cars. Mainly foreign cars. I don't see one original idea.

Don't get me started...
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrick For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (01-18-2013), Fly03Z06 (01-18-2013), stinger430 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)
Lingenfelter Modified 2011 White/Titanium w/ CG Headlamp Override/Grey Comp. Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I don't care that the tail lights are square. I care that they got their design inspiration for the tail lights from the... ahem... Camaro.

In fact, the entire car has the problem of being inspired by other cars. Mainly foreign cars. I don't see one original idea.

Don't get me started...

I couldn't agree more.

I would think that in this day and age, originality would prevail in re designing the most celebrated Chevrolet in American automotive history ? When GM decides to copy others, there is a sense of chasing or should we say following the lead. Corvette should always set the pace. We (Corvette faithful) waited so long for this car to come, and finally we have a new generation car that came in very late after many delays. I can see some effective thought, and I admit from some angles it pleases, however the less than all out attempt to create new original art for the next generation Corvette, with so many parts that resemble others, I feel GM has accepted less than American designers are capable of, and less than Corvette, it's faithful, it's previous engineers and designers, it's generations past, deserve.

It feels like we ran down field in record time but ran out of stamina on the one yard line. That's not ALL bad, but it's not everything we're capable of.

I'm sure there will be tweaks each year, and I do look forward to some additional design improvement, originality, and more power. I'll hold on to my 2011 ZR1 for a while longer but I do still have faith!
RFenton1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFenton1 For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (01-18-2013), Fly03Z06 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Don't get me started...
I don't know how you can know what inspired a design. I think only the designer knows that. But there are only so many shapes that a front/mid engine sports car can take. You put the engine where it goes the driver where he goes and the wheels where they have to be, and that dictates alot of what the final shape will be. But I see lots of past genterations in this car. I see sharp lines that remind me of the midyears, and I see rear end lines that remind me of the Mako Shark. (rear glass and all the way into the shape of the rear "nose" and into the license plate ) The coves are nothing but Corvette and the front looks like a Corvette should IMHO.

Now you could say that this car looks similar to the Ferrari, or the Viper or any other front engine sports car but then you would also be admiting that they all have a similar apperance to each other too.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
The Following User Says Thank You to the machine For This Useful Post:
TheMelkMan (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
I don't know how you can know what inspired a design. I think only the designer knows that. But there are only so many shapes that a front/mid engine sports car can take. You put the engine where it goes the driver where he goes and the wheels where they have to be, and that dictates alot of what the final shape will be. But I see lots of past genterations in this car. I see sharp lines that remind me of the midyears, and I see rear end lines that remind me of the Mako Shark. (rear glass and all the way into the shape of the rear "nose" and into the license plate ) The coves are nothing but Corvette and the front looks like a Corvette should IMHO.

Now you could say that this car looks similar to the Ferrari, or the Viper or any other front engine sports car but then you would also be admiting that they all have a similar apperance to each other too.
I think you missed the point.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFenton1 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I would think that in this day and age, originality would prevail in re designing the most celebrated Chevrolet in American automotive history ? When GM decides to copy others, there is a sense of chasing or should we say following the lead. Corvette should always set the pace. We (Corvette faithful) waited so long for this car to come, and finally we have a new generation car that came in very late after many delays. I can see some effective thought, and I admit from some angles it pleases, however the less than all out attempt to create new original art for the next generation Corvette, with so many parts that resemble others, I feel GM has accepted less than American designers are capable of, and less than Corvette, it's faithful, it's previous engineers and designers, it's generations past, deserve.

It feels like we ran down field in record time but ran out of stamina on the one yard line. That's not ALL bad, but it's not everything we're capable of.

I'm sure there will be tweaks each year, and I do look forward to some additional design improvement, originality, and more power. I'll hold on to my 2011 ZR1 for a while longer but I do still have faith!
This!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
WNH
DC Crew

Member #11941

My Corvette(s)
1988, 2006

The rear lights are the only 'sore thumb', IMO.
Otherwise, GM did a good job in continuing the Corvette legacy.
WNH is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

The C7 design is new, doesn't stand out as a real fresh design being all the examples already out there that have resemblance. But I feel one thing for sure is this version will age fast. Watch how the completion bring more swoopy flowing designs to market in the next couple of years
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
The C7 design is new, doesn't stand out as a real fresh design being all the examples already out there that have resemblance. But I feel one thing for sure is this version will age fast. Watch how the completion bring more swoopy flowing designs to market in the next couple of years
I was thinking that very same thing this week.
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

O.K. Look here...

Yeah. It's all subjective. Nobody is more disappointed in the rear end treatment than I am...

BUT,

What is inarguable is that the C7 represents a bold departure from the very conservative post-C3 designs.

I am so damn glad for that alone.

And to my eye, MY EYE, I don't see any foreign influences in the C7. Thank heavens.

This stands in stark contrast to the C5 which design-wise, was a scaled-up Mazda almost note for note. That is, except for the huge, bulging, rear end (a modern GM styling priority...).

I see more C3 in the C7 than any other single "inspiration."

But again. What's most important is that it is a striking bold statement. It doesn't look like anything else out there. And that's good.

And another thing we need to remember. There is no doubt that pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the C7 will be the best performance value in the world. By far.
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to iowa61 For This Useful Post:
GhostShadow (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
GhostShadow
DC Crew

Member #117913

My Corvette(s)
It fell off a cliff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa61 View Post
Yeah. It's all subjective. Nobody is more disappointed in the rear end treatment than I am...

BUT,

What is inarguable is that the C7 represents a bold departure from the very conservative post-C3 designs.

I am so damn glad for that alone.

And to my eye, MY EYE, I don't see any foreign influences in the C7. Thank heavens.

This stands in stark contrast to the C5 which design-wise, was a scaled-up Mazda almost note for note. That is, except for the huge, bulging, rear end (a modern GM styling priority...).

I see more C3 in the C7 than any other single "inspiration."

But again. What's most important is that it is a striking bold statement. It doesn't look like anything else out there. And that's good.

And another thing we need to remember. There is no doubt that pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the C7 will be the best performance value in the world. By far.

Thats got to be one of the most useful posts I've read so far, especially from the "I don't like the rear" camp.

Personally, at first, was not crazy about the rear end. Especially from the Jalopnik renderings. I went through the angry phase of how can the Corvette Team put that rear end on such a car. But as time went on, it made sense, and grew to start liking the rear. The corvette had suffered the same fate as a lot of gm cars, it was going to get stagnant.

The C5, to me, had a terrible rear end. It was sloppy, unimaginative and boring. The C6 took that rear and cleaned it up a bit. The C7 on the other hand completely became polarizing. Whether you love it or hate it, people will talk about it.
GhostShadow is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostShadow For This Useful Post:
iowa61 (01-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.