C7 Vette - What's a Gal to do - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
DropTopGal

Member #98067

My Corvette(s)
2010 GS Coupe ~ 2008 VY Vert

C7 Vette - What's a Gal to do

Like most of you, I've been viewing / reading all about the new C7. Granted, from this date, the C7 won't even be sold for another 8 months from now. But when it is available, what is a Gal to do?

Well, here is my take:
1. I am very reluctant to buy a first year / model anything, particularly something from GM. No bashing please -- I'm not biased for nor against any manufacturer. Fact is, first year models most often have unidentified issues and I don't want the headache from that.
Second model year tends to fix the "issues" identified in the first model year. Ah, no thanks. I'd wait for the 3rd model year -- that's where the refinement and facelift comes in. Oh, and we all will have to see how the new cylinder deactivation works out on the C7. I am not a fan of that.

Besides, this time around, I'd go for a Z model. Convertible was fun / nice, Grand Sport a blast, but time for a Z.

2. Looky, looky.... other very interesting prospects will be on the market come the C7 3rd model year. To name a few... on the high end - both the Acura NSX and Lexus SC replacement will be very tempting, Porsche Boxter S (maybe), the new 918 and of course 911 Carrera S, Audi R8 will be updated as well. More main stream - Toyota has something going on with the FR-S platform - rumor has it, a new Supra (not supped up Celica), the BRZ will get STi treatment and convertible, oh, we could go on and on. Come 2015 into 2016, there will be much to choose from as opposed to a C7.

Granted, a Vette is a Vette and while I'm not a huge fan of the C7 square tail lights and certainly the rear view overall (what is with the rear sides, those vertical lines?), but overall, the C7 looks very nice. Surprisingly, the C7 is still very identifiable with the C6. That said, my C6 Grand Sport with mods will still hold its own for a few more years as the C7 matures a bit.

One disappointment about the C7 is the interior. Frankly, I was expecting a bit more refinement. Based on the many images I have seen, it seems that the C7 uses the same grade plastic and leather as the 3LT / 4LT C6. For those who have been inside of say a Porsche, Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc - you'd know what I mean.

So for the next 2 to 3 years, this Gal will save my pennies, enjoy my C6 Grand Sport with mods, and watch the C7 show mature.

BTW: IMHO... a C6 Grand Sport / Z06 / ZR1 vs C7 still look very nice and equally aggressive / sporty when viewed side by side. The C6 wide body models are not nearly as dated when compared to the C7, just a bit rounder. Actually, from some angles, the wide body C6s look even better than the C7.

DTG
DropTopGal is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Good Girls ~~ Drive It HARD
**SOLD** 2010 Grand Sport JSB~3LT~A6~NPP~Chrome Wheels~Nav~Heritage~Titanium-Ebony~Full Rear Wing~Sport Pedals ~ Dyno: 445hp / 429tq @ wheels

Mods: LG Longtube Headers~LG X Pipe~LG High Flow Cats~3" Coltrs~160' Stat~PFADT JOC Stg I Suspension~PCM & A6 Tune
Cosmetic: RaceMesh Grills~LED Tail Lights~Mild to Wild~Lloyds Mats~Vette Tray2~JWM LED Lights~Custom LED~Corvette Inserts~Chrome Exhaust Plate~Venture Shield~18% Tint
Audio: Pioneer Z120BT~Boston Acoustics SR95 & SR65 / JL Slash 300amp~JL 10" Stealthbox / JL Slash 500amp~Backup Camera~Shock Sensor / Alarm
The Following User Says Thank You to DropTopGal For This Useful Post:
PNHNDLE96CE (01-20-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Very well said. I still think a C6 Z06 would be my choice.
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
ironhorse
DC Crew

Member #74885

Well said, you have some valid points...
ironhorse is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
DropTopGal

Member #98067

My Corvette(s)

I overlooked to mention another C7 interior disappointment... once more, the steering wheel seems to be from the GM parts bin. I continue to tolerate a rather lame steering wheel on the C6 but my next sports car will not have a lame feel to the hand, one way or another. Just one of my womanly pet peeves.
**SOLD** 2010 Grand Sport JSB~3LT~A6~NPP~Chrome Wheels~Nav~Heritage~Titanium-Ebony~Full Rear Wing~Sport Pedals ~ Dyno: 445hp / 429tq @ wheels

Mods: LG Longtube Headers~LG X Pipe~LG High Flow Cats~3" Coltrs~160' Stat~PFADT JOC Stg I Suspension~PCM & A6 Tune
Cosmetic: RaceMesh Grills~LED Tail Lights~Mild to Wild~Lloyds Mats~Vette Tray2~JWM LED Lights~Custom LED~Corvette Inserts~Chrome Exhaust Plate~Venture Shield~18% Tint
Audio: Pioneer Z120BT~Boston Acoustics SR95 & SR65 / JL Slash 300amp~JL 10" Stealthbox / JL Slash 500amp~Backup Camera~Shock Sensor / Alarm
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Vettecaster
DC Crew

Member #3300

My Corvette(s)
2000 Magnetic Red II Coupe w/Borla Stingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopGal View Post
One disappointment about the C7 is the interior. Frankly, I was expecting a bit more refinement. Based on the many images I have seen, it seems that the C7 uses the same grade plastic and leather as the 3LT / 4LT C6. For those who have been inside of say a Porsche, Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc - you'd know what I mean.
DTG
CBS Sunday Morning ran a story on the C7 and the reporter who took a ride in the new car said the interior materials were much improved and on par with European rivals. Can't wait to see for myself!
Vettecaster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
DropTopGal

Member #98067

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettecaster View Post
CBS Sunday Morning ran a story on the C7 and the reporter who took a ride in the new car said the interior materials were much improved and on par with European rivals. Can't wait to see for myself!
I sure hope so, frankly, the price of any new Corvette has always warranted a step or two up in the interior materials department. Point to note: consider the source "CBS Sunday Morning" -- probably just reading the talking points / sales pitch for various reasons not worthy of mentioning to go off topic.

Time shall tell...

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

What you said I feel is the way a lot of us are thinking
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopGal View Post
I overlooked to mention another C7 interior disappointment... once more, the steering wheel seems to be from the GM parts bin. I continue to tolerate a rather lame steering wheel on the C6 but my next sports car will not have a lame feel to the hand, one way or another. Just one of my womanly pet peeves.
I really hate to hear the term "GM parts bin" when complaining about the Corvette, since that is the greatest weapon the Corvette has against exploding price. Porsche has VWs parts bin but chooses little of it, thus their comparable performance entries start at $80,000. Lamborghini also has VWs parts bin but uses virtually none of it, and thus starts in the $150,000s. The same is true of Ferrari with Fiat. Nissan is the only price and performance competitive car with the GT-R but if anyone has followed its pricing you would note it has ballooned from the $70,000 range to the $90,000 range with very little improvement.

Just some things to consider when complaining about shared components in our mid $50,000 sports car.
DarthAWM is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarthAWM For This Useful Post:
Dagget427 (01-21-2013), leshelt (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
DropTopGal

Member #98067

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
I really hate to hear the term "GM parts bin" when complaining about the Corvette, since that is the greatest weapon the Corvette has against exploding price. Porsche has VWs parts bin but chooses little of it, thus their comparable performance entries start at $80,000. Lamborghini also has VWs parts bin but uses virtually none of it, and thus starts in the $150,000s. The same is true of Ferrari with Fiat. Nissan is the only price and performance competitive car with the GT-R but if anyone has followed its pricing you would note it has ballooned from the $70,000 range to the $90,000 range with very little improvement.

Just some things to consider when complaining about shared components in our mid $50,000 sports car.

Oh, I don't have a problem at all if various parts are interchanged between makes & models from a manufacturer and realize that price control is achieved that way. Going a step further, I'd say that vehicle reliability is also fostered by sharing components (examples: Jaguar benefited in many way from Ford, Audi electronics were very problematic but improving once VW took them over...).

This was what I meant to say...> To make the "little things" just a bit nicer, why not have top models share like components. For instance, (if memory serves) it seems that the 2013 CTS-V and C7 share the same steering wheel, but the same steering wheel is found in other GM products... so GM should have a standard steering wheel with a more sporty feel and functionality that is shared among the top tier of GM products.

Something like this: http://www.dsvettes.com/store2008/pr...cat=280&page=1

Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Blast
DC Crew

Member #5275

I can certainly see where you're coming from but there's just one comment I have :

You say no to first or second year models yet the NSX for instance is coming out when the Vette is on it's second or third year, meaning why are you comparing them?

If your logic is true then the NSX third year should be compared to the C7 fifth year, not saying that "Not getting a C7 in the first year", but NSX first year is alright.

Just a minor nit.

I certainly respect anyone's opinion regardless what I think of them, that bit just stood out a bit to me though.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Live2redline
DC Crew

Member #59469

I think you are in the wrong forum to be pointing out other cars to buy. And if you think the jap cars are much better and reliable, better do some homework. The NSX had many problems and issues, so many, and to expensive people stop buying them, so production stopped.

Look at the specs of the NSX, or Honda S2000, the corvette is faster, handles better, and even gets better mileage. The S2000 is a little 4cy, and its a oil burning little pos. Look at the new Indy car engine rules, a clean sheet a paper was starter and an entire new race engine, Honda and Chevrolet/illmore went at is head to head, and Honda got its ass kicked all of 2012.

This isnt the 80's where GM built junk, and for that matter all car companies did, even jap companies. Or maybe you w3ant a big bad new Nissan GTR, oh but dont take it to the track, or use "Launch Mode" or you might break your 20,000 trans and your warranty will NOT cover it. Same with the big bad STi, do track days and warranty is history. Yeah thats a great way to stand behind your product. Tell everyone its a big bad sports car, but if you drive it like one, you warranty is gone.

And from a C6z owner, the new C7 when side by side will make my C6 look like a plain and dated refrigerator, look at the 2 cars, there is no comparison, and they are only showing the plain, narrow base model. There is no production car on the planet, that compares bang for the buck as with the Corvette.

And I think you need to get an upclose look at the new C7 interior before you start comparing it to your "Boxter S" the Boxter is for sure a chik car, and you are that, so maybe its for you. A loaded little Boxter s its 100K, and the new Camaro ZL1 and 1LE are faster around a track, thats sad, and you would be a fool to pay that much for a little Boxter.
Live2redline is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
UHME2010
DC Crew

Member #118269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2redline View Post
I think you are in the wrong forum to be pointing out other cars to buy. And if you think the jap cars are much better and reliable, better do some homework. The NSX had many problems and issues, so many, and to expensive people stop buying them, so production stopped.

Look at the specs of the NSX, or Honda S2000, the corvette is faster, handles better, and even gets better mileage. The S2000 is a little 4cy, and its a oil burning little pos. Look at the new Indy car engine rules, a clean sheet a paper was starter and an entire new race engine, Honda and Chevrolet/illmore went at is head to head, and Honda got its ass kicked all of 2012.

This isnt the 80's where GM built junk, and for that matter all car companies did, even jap companies. Or maybe you w3ant a big bad new Nissan GTR, oh but dont take it to the track, or use "Launch Mode" or you might break your 20,000 trans and your warranty will NOT cover it. Same with the big bad STi, do track days and warranty is history. Yeah thats a great way to stand behind your product. Tell everyone its a big bad sports car, but if you drive it like one, you warranty is gone.

And from a C6z owner, the new C7 when side by side will make my C6 look like a plain and dated refrigerator, look at the 2 cars, there is no comparison, and they are only showing the plain, narrow base model. There is no production car on the planet, that compares bang for the buck as with the Corvette.

And I think you need to get an upclose look at the new C7 interior before you start comparing it to your "Boxter S" the Boxter is for sure a chik car, and you are that, so maybe its for you. A loaded little Boxter s its 100K, and the new Camaro ZL1 and 1LE are faster around a track, thats sad, and you would be a fool to pay that much for a little Boxter.
She was simply giving her opinion on the C7 and what SHE plans to do in the future with her next ride, not telling anybody else what they should do. I agree with some of the stuff she said and disagree with others. I also agree with some of the stuff you said and disagree with others. If she feels that way about the cars she mentioned, so be it. Dont think that calls for a bashing of her opinion.
UHME2010 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

DTG,

What seats do you prefer?
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
DropTopGal

Member #98067

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2redline View Post

One word: PROZAC!
Seriously, you need to chill with your "C6z refrigerator" (your words -- that's Corvette blasphemy!!).

I agree, GM and Ford are certainly making better cars these days and offer a very good warranty to back them. If they were not, I would have not owned two Vettes in the last 5 years - I don't buy statistically unreliable cars or "junk" as you call them.

Fact: Boxter S interior is among the top of the line and it seems that the C7 used the same material source as the C6. We all shall see in due time. BTW - referring to a Boxter S as a "chik" car - that's an immature comment. Heck, there are plenty of ladies driving new Vettes and several of us sure can handle a stick (as opposed to auto).

Where you went wrong in your post is to personalize your response and go on the attack... There is no reason to do that, so chill {Prozac} and be objective.

Oh, and last I checked and I have a strong feeling that the vast majority would agree -- I am MOST CERTAINLY in the correct forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
DropTopGal

Member #98067

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I can certainly see where you're coming from but there's just one comment I have :

You say no to first or second year models yet the NSX for instance is coming out when the Vette is on it's second or third year, meaning why are you comparing them?

If your logic is true then the NSX third year should be compared to the C7 fifth year, not saying that "Not getting a C7 in the first year", but NSX first year is alright.

Just a minor nit.

I certainly respect anyone's opinion regardless what I think of them, that bit just stood out a bit to me though.

// Stefan

Hi Stefan... I was just trying to illustrate that besides the C7 (which I am almost certainly going to buy), there are other options out there for car enthusiasts to choose from and even more exciting cars coming soon.

As for the NSX, while Acura / Honda have the hybrid technology down pretty good, of course the first year model NSX holds true to the rule... Besides, it would likely be financially beneficial to lease an NSX as opposed to buy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.