Five reasons the new Corvette will stay an old man's car (AW article) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Five reasons the new Corvette will stay an old man's car (AW article)

Quote:
The new Corvette Stingray has made its debut at the Detroit auto show, and there's little doubt it's going to thrill leagues of current Corvette aficionados. But Chevrolet has hinted it wants to broaden the Vette's appeal beyond its core Baby Boomer buyers, now in their 60s. GM design head Ed Welburn stated the Stingray aims for “a bit of a shift to appeal to younger customers,” according to Automotive News.

According to market research firm Strategic Vision, the average Corvette buyer is 59 years old. That means the “younger customers” Chevrolet is targeting are members of Generation X, born from about 1960-80. Big differences exist between the Vette's current core audience of Baby Boomers and the slacker generation (of which your author is a member), including these five significant hurdles that stand in the way of the Corvette's demographic downward drive.

Ghosts of Corvettes past

As good as the new Corvette is, Chevy's got skeletons in the closet that many of us Gen Xers remember all too well. Consider that drivers in their 40s and early 50s came of automotive age from the mid-1970s through the mid-1980s -- exactly the time the Corvette was huffing 200 or so horsepower through a long-in-the-tooth Mako Shark body. It wasn't an object of lust for many of us -- exotics like the Lamborghini Countach, Porsche 911 Turbo and Ferrari 308 were what stirred the soul, not the paunchy next-door neighbor's two-tone '78 C3.

We still have kids at home

Getting married and having kids happened a lot later for those in Generation X. Many put off child-raising until their mid-30s, meaning those parents won't be empty-nesters until their mid-50s (at the earliest). What good is a two-seat sports car to someone who has to haul three or four people around regularly…and pay tuition, all while hiding the keys from irresponsible hands? For the same money, an Audi S4 or even a Cadillac CTS-V makes more sense.

It'll still be too expensive

Remember that nasty little recession we had a few years ago? Most of us Gen Xers were just hitting our peak earning years when that whole mess hit and wiped out jobs, savings accounts and IRAs. Yes, things have improved, but a lot of us are either gun-shy or still broke, so a $60,000+ plaything isn't on the shopping list at the moment, nor is it likely to be anytime in the next few years.

We don't like flash

Not every member of Generation X slouched about in flannel several years longer than they should have. But car sales trends continue to show that the majority of buyers continue to value an understated automotive presence. We're snapping up silver Passats with abandon, luxuriating in lookalike Audis and even revering the gawdawful Prius as an aspirational vehicle. A low, sleek, hyperventilated land missile doesn't fit the image many of us have of success.

We've been tipped off

Chevy showed its hand when it announced the Corvette would attempt to appeal to younger customers. Now we know that Chevy is coming for us, and we'll be watching for telltale target marketing around every corner. As marketing trade publication CRM Magazine notes, “Gen Xers are averse to ad hype and overstatement and keep a constant lookout for hypocrisy and self-importance. They're also far less daring when it comes to spending their money.” None of these characteristics bode well for a splashy Corvette campaign.

CRM also notes that experts “warn against ads that appeal to a broader sense of heritage, history, and tradition, because Gen X doesn't go for that.” In other words, two years of “Chevy runs deep” probably hasn't helped matters, and the resurrection of Stingray is likely to fall on indifferent ears.

What the new 2014 Corvette does have going for it are the same things Corvette has long offered: Tremendous performance for the dollar, striking looks and everyday usability. Once the new car goes on sale this fall, we'll find out if it offers something the Corvette hasn't had in decades: Youth appeal.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2J0jy6tQv
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

All of that analysis is wasted words. It will stay an old man's car for two reasons:
1) They make more money than the young, and their kids are gone, so they have extra.
2) Corvette was king of the world in the REAL muscle car era - 1964 to roughly 1972. Baby boomers who were into muscle cars as teens and kids during that era are the current buyers. Those born in the 80's and 90's may or may not like Corvettes, but it was nowhere near the symbol of a pinnacle car during that era as it was in earlier years.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Read more:
blah, blah, blah.

Truth is, not everyone can afford a $55,000 car, sports or otherwise. Most people who can are older. No revelation there.

GM simply wants to additionally attract their share of younger buyers who actually CAN afford this price point but doesn't need a four-seater yet. People do not buy M3's or S4's for the rear seat.

As far as the ad hype comment is concerned, if this were true we wouldn't see so many smartphone commercials. People will be separated from their money by ads no matter how "adverse to ad hype" they think they are.

Someone wanted to write a contrarian article, period.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkuper For This Useful Post:
leshelt (01-25-2013), raidmagic (01-25-2013), TheMelkMan (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

This is all a bunch of hooey...

Any product has a target market defined by common demographics. Affluence, sex, age, and other proclivities. HOWEVER, these are not hard and fast. And consumer behavior can and does often defy the carefully laid plans and fortellings of my fellow marketing soothsayers and gurus.

A good example of that is the Honda Element. "Targeted" to the youth market, it sold in droves to a much older demographic. And for good reason. It was a superior package of utility, value and charisma. The old folks didn't give a damn about the marketing. They went for the value.

GM can say they're targeting the younger buyer all they want. And indeed they've made subtle changes to the package that may skew things to a bit of a younger crowd. But other demographic factors trump mere age. As pointed out in these postings, not many twentysomethings have the disposable income to buy a Vette.

The best GM can do is build a great car, integrate superior engineering, performance and value, and imbue it with as much differentiation and "cool" as possible. But "cool" is an "X" factor that's much harder to identify much less harness.

The new design is decidedly bolder, sharper, more aggressive. It's a good start, but that alone will not ensure capture of the younger mindshare. A major committment to creative and intelligent marketing is required. And as pointed out in another thread, GM has plenty of leverage here via the racing program, should they choose to mine it.

And even then, the race to the magic cool is full of blind curves and slick spots and never certain...
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
2013 427 Convertible / 2004 6-speed Convertible

I really dont care what they say, Longtimer and I will drive the C7 with pride!

BLK 1
BLK 1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 1 View Post

BLK 1
Of course you will.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

1. I'm not sure if I was Gen X or Gen Y or Gen whatever, wasn't Gen X the Nirvana and Pearl Jam era? That was my high school and college years. But, for me, I also remember the ZR-1. And that was no slouching drunk, that was the meanest kid at the bar. And I remember the first time I saw a C5, I was cruising around in a Nissan 240sx with my brother, and we saw it, and followed it around, and we didn't hate it, we didn't scoff at it, we lusted after it, and we knew fully well that our modded up cammy 240 wouldn't hang with it because... well, it had torque, we didn't.

I'm not sure I buy that argument, but it was interesting to read.

2. I'd say thats a valid point. The 45-50 year old demographic often still has kids at home. Each generation of Americans gets wealthier than the one that came before, and I thinka ss cuh they tend to indulge themselves longer into adulthood, and settle down later.

3. This is a valid point. It will always be, by and large, preponderantly, older guys who can afford what is a tremendous luxury (that being a Corvette). A relatively impractical (2 seat) car thats relatively expensive (maybe not for what it is, but seriously, a $55k toy is a big deal).

4. I agree with the 4th point. The C7 is too ricey. What European car, which is probably what the typical 40-50yr old desires (???) is go gauche? So intentionally angular, so lacking in flow and smoothness? The Cadillacs wear their angles far more gracefully than the C7's rear does. What BMW, what Benz, what Audi, what Ferrari, what Aston or Jag, what status symbol luxury car looks so excessively styled? They went the Japanese tuner car route of styling, especially on the rear, and I don't see how that is possibly going to hit their mark.

5. Agreed, telling people you are trying to woo them is not that great of an idea. What the old saying, which I probably heard first in "The Usual Suspects", the greatest trick the devil could ever pull is convincing you that he doesn't exist. Telling someone you are tyring to influence them probably isn't the best policy.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamcars99 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (01-25-2013), stinger430 (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 1 View Post

BLK 1
Yeah, right... They are forecasting snow in Hell and looking up, I see a flock of pigs heading South for the Winter.

Dismiss it because you don't agree with it if you like. The article makes some valid points, and some not so valid.

Time will tell.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post

4. I agree with the 4th point. The C7 is too ricey. What European car, which is probably what the typical 40-50yr old desires (???) is go gauche? So intentionally angular, so lacking in flow and smoothness? The Cadillacs wear their angles far more gracefully than the C7's rear does.
Great article, and this point (#4 by Dreamcars99), sums up how I felt when I saw the C7 emerge on that stage.

The Era of Confident, Cohesive design is over! Cadillac may use hard edges in their design, but they all "line up" and the design makes sense.

This new Corvette doesn't appeal to me in the least, but MANY enthusiasts just love it, which is great. I'm sure it'll be a sales success.The model will live on. It will just live on without me. Lots of older Vettes to lust after
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stinger430 For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (01-25-2013), Longtimer (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

I truly believe that folks who buy Corvettes could give a crap less about demographics or that article. Like myself, I buy what I like because it looks good, runs good, and I feel good going down the road, and what I can afford has a role too.
c3c7 norm is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
2013 427 Convertible / 2004 6-speed Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C6 Norm View Post
I truly believe that folks who buy Corvettes could give a crap less about demographics or that article. Like myself, I buy what I like because it looks good, runs good, and I feel good going down the road, and what I can afford has a role too.
I am 41 and this will be my 14th Corvette if I really like the car. If not a 2013 427 vert will be the next one. Could care less what the sheep in the Honda/Toyota econo cars with kids think.

BLK 1

Looking back at my 08 Z06 my favorite thing was to pass a soccer mom on the onramp at 7K rpm. That car hauled ass...
BLK 1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
T-Murphy
DC Crew

Member #120659

Of course it will mostly stay an old man's car. It will cost 60+ with options. How many 20 somethings can afford that.
T-Murphy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (sold); 2002 Corvette Convertible

I don't buy the "it costs too much" reason at all. They will pay a $10,000 premium on a hybrid and trade it off before they will get their monies worth on like /equal vehicle. They are still buying sport utility and cross over vehicles with abandon and they are in the same price range as a Corvette. A LTZ Suburban will run $57,680 before options. Trucks are the same. I do think that GM has not idea how to "market" to the market. You don't tell the market you are aiming for them. They will be turned off without seeing the product. Put the product in the proper venues to target desired market age range. That is Marketing 101. GM go back to school!
ddregehr is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddregehr View Post
I don't buy the "it costs too much" reason at all. They will pay a $10,000 premium on a hybrid and trade it off before they will get their monies worth on like /equal vehicle. They are still buying sport utility and cross over vehicles with abandon and they are in the same price range as a Corvette. A LTZ Suburban will run $57,680 before options. Trucks are the same. I do think that GM has not idea how to "market" to the market. You don't tell the market you are aiming for them. They will be turned off without seeing the product. Put the product in the proper venues to target desired market age range. That is Marketing 101. GM go back to school!
A Hybrid retains the vast majority of that $10k premium.

A Suburban makes a mom feel safe while driving and holds the whole family + stuff.

A vette is a toy, to a family. It could be a daily driver to a person or a couple, but not to a family. Its an extremely expensive toy. Its an extreme luxury in a way that even an Escalade can't be, because an Escalade can do whole family duty. Same price, the Escalade is still far cheaper to the family. Because the family with a 'Vette still has to have... a family vehicle.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

I think the goal, in my opinion, was to more so create a new found fanbase in the younger demographic, not necessarily to sell them car. It's obvious that young people can't afford a Corvette, I've said it a million times, but you need to grab their attention now.

If a teenager becomes a Corvette enthusiast, he will buy a Corvette when he can afford it later in life. Look no further then myself....I was hood when I was 10 years old, by age 12 I started Corvette Info Center, by age 18 I was well know if the Corvette community, by age 24 I became a writer for Badboyvettes.com.....I live for this now.

If you don't grab that audience now, they will find something else. I just heard the other day about a guy at Barret-Jackson, he is looking to trade in his Audi R8. Someone suggested a Corvette and the guy had no idea what the specs were, he had no idea the price, he had no idea that Corvette has won the 24hrs of Le Mans 7 times in the past 10 years. Moral of the story, he was shocked, and said he would definitely be looking into it.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Draper For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (01-25-2013), leshelt (01-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.