Cold Air Hood Mod - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Cold Air Hood Mod - Added Video Results - Post #41

I started this thread on another forum and wanted to see what you guys think of this mod I'm working on.

I marked off my stock 80' hood and made a cardboard template.

Next I used the template to cut out the piece I need out of a fiberglass panel. The panel is a roof wind deflector from a tractor trail, new/ unused that work was throwing out, so it didn't cost me anything.

I removed the hood and prepped it for attaching the fiberglass panel.

I used Norton's Speedgrip Adhesive to attach the panel to the hood. I already had the applicator gun, so the adhesive was about $35.

I now have the air chamber done. The front will seal against the radiator support when closed. I still need to cut out the opening for the air cleaner.

Next I will modify my air cleaner base to create a pan that will seal my existing air cleaner assembly to the new cold air chamber.

This was my existing air cleaner assembly. The plan is to seal around it so it can still draw air in from the sides and also the XStream Air Flow Top.

I ran into some clearance issues with the hood and had to take a hole saw and drill a couple areas to clear the ac line from the compressor, and serpentine tensioner. Also the upper rad hose hits, but I don't think its too bad since I have it rapped with a plastic shielding. I'll glass those areas later.

Here's some pics of the air cleaner that I came up with to seal to the hood.

There is a 16 gauge aluminum "cake pan" 16" x 3" deep, that is cut in the center and the air cleaner base is attached/ sealed to. The sides of the pan are cut/ tapered front to back for hood clearance as that is the way the hood is angled when closed. The foam is Moroso flame resistant hood seal foam designed to seal the air cleaner to the hood and is 1.5" x 4". The foam seal is cut and fit over the side walls of the pan except for the top that seals against the hood. Cost was $20 for the cake pan and $20 for the Moroso foam seal. I used my existing base plate and K&N air filter, so $40 total and is basically the same thing as the $250 aftermarket one I was going to order and have to taper cut to clear the hood and add the foam seal to.

Another option is to use top bulb mount weatherstrip seal (trunk type seal), but I'm sticking with the foam seal for now.

Also, when I go to do the body and paint, I may change the air intake to a vent something like this one.

I still need to cut the opening in the air chamber for the air cleaner and glass the holes I made for extra clearance. I have a total of about $75 into it. I'll post more picks when I'm finished with the hood.

Last edited by MIKE80; 04-01-2013 at 05:42 PM.
MIKE80 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

Was following this on "the other corvette forum" and will follow it here to just in case you add anything different.... hey, you wouldn't want to come on over and do mine would ya, you have better skills then I do from what I'm seeing
AirbornSilva is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbornSilva View Post
Was following this on "the other corvette forum" and will follow it here to just in case you add anything different.... hey, you wouldn't want to come on over and do mine would ya, you have better skills then I do from what I'm seeing
Thanks! I used to have 2 80' vettes, but I sold one of them. Working on 1 vette is enough for me. What I've done here so far really is not difficult to do. Just mostly a lot of measuring. I was just looking for a low cost way of getting cool air to the engine and thought this would be a good idea.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE80 View Post
Thanks! I used to have 2 80' vettes, but I sold one of them. Working on 1 vette is enough for me. What I've done here so far really is not difficult to do. Just mostly a lot of measuring. I was just looking for a low cost way of getting cool air to the engine and thought this would be a good idea.
I agree, it is a great idea and incorporates the original idea behind the cowl hood
AirbornSilva is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Moonsteel
DC Crew

Member #74781

I've always wondered why there was no aftermarket hood with an opening there...
Moonsteel is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Very Cool! Can't wait to see the end result!
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
CFD E59
DC Crew

Member #84563

My Corvette(s)
1970 convertible LS5

Garage
Scene that on the other forum. Nice job with the mod.
CFD E59 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Many have given some, some have given all. To all who have given , Thank you
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

Love the home-made stuff!! Nice job!
tektrans is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Turbo84
DC Crew

Member #54556

My Corvette(s)
1969 427 5spd, 1984 turbo 6spd

My compliments on the use of the aluminum cake pan. Looks very good there (and the price was reasonable).

Very creative!
Turbo84 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'69 LeMans Blue Coupe
427 ZL-1
Doug Nash 5 speed
C4 suspension
Wilwood brakes
(The corner pile in the barn of original and numbers-matching stuff continues to grow each week.)

'84 Blue Coupe Z51
355 turbo, aluminum heads
Richmond 6 speed

'51 Chevy Pickup (blue, of course)
350 single turbo
Turbo 400 trans
'85 Vette front suspension
'95 Vette rear suspension
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo84 View Post
My compliments on the use of the aluminum cake pan. Looks very good there (and the price was reasonable).

Very creative!
Thanks Guys! Actually, I saw the cake pan idea on some of the other muscle car forums Camaro, etc. and figured it should work out pretty good for what I'm doing. Could probably even go with a 17" pan, but would need to mod the back to clear the distributor. Another option, instead of the foam seal, could use a weatherstrip type seal like a trunk seal. I looked at some aftermarket cold air intakes, they weren't cheap and most likely needed some kind of mods to work. I like the cowl induction and thought that having it forward facing to the front air dam should work pretty good to supply fresh cool air. And if I decide to add a ram air vent to the top of the hood, most of the work is already done. At a later time, I might do some kind of splitter for the lower front bumper to see if it helps draw air into the air dam.

I blew my back out pretty bad last Sunday, couldn't move and had an ambulance take me out on a backboard, so I've just been home resting and hopefully can get the hood completed soon. I'm looking forward to taking the vette out for a test run. Sucks being home and not able to do much, but at least I'm starting to feel better.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

I like the idea of an additional vent-I was thinking the vent on your hood is kinda tight-may not let enough air in for the motor and choke it a bit-especially on hotter days but still a great starting point and very original.
Maybe you should stuff those extra holes you had to make with more foam so you dont lose any pressure you build at speed as well.
tektrans is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Nice work under the hood but I gotta say the top side of that hood is killer!!
raidmagic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektrans View Post
I like the idea of an additional vent-I was thinking the vent on your hood is kinda tight-may not let enough air in for the motor and choke it a bit-especially on hotter days but still a great starting point and very original.
Maybe you should stuff those extra holes you had to make with more foam so you dont lose any pressure you build at speed as well.
The opening is a decent size so I don't think it will restrict the airflow. I'll have to measure it, can't remember what the measurement was. The holes that I made for clearance will be fiberglassed closed with indents for the clearance needed and the air chamber will be totally sealed to the air cleaner.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Nice work under the hood but I gotta say the top side of that hood is killer!!
Thanks. Yeah, came across a pic of that hood someone modded and liked what they did. I'll probably do something like that when I do the body and paint. Maybe put the vent back a bit more for a larger opening.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

That is crazy cool. I think it is great when someone uses ingenuity and some free stuff to mod a car. Killer mod at a reasonable price
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.