I started this thread on another forum and wanted to see what you guys think of this mod I'm working on.
I marked off my stock 80' hood and made a cardboard template.
Next I used the template to cut out the piece I need out of a fiberglass panel. The panel is a roof wind deflector from a tractor trail, new/ unused that work was throwing out, so it didn't cost me anything.
I removed the hood and prepped it for attaching the fiberglass panel.
I used Norton's Speedgrip Adhesive to attach the panel to the hood. I already had the applicator gun, so the adhesive was about $35.
I now have the air chamber done. The front will seal against the radiator support when closed. I still need to cut out the opening for the air cleaner.
Next I will modify my air cleaner base to create a pan that will seal my existing air cleaner assembly to the new cold air chamber.
This was my existing air cleaner assembly. The plan is to seal around it so it can still draw air in from the sides and also the XStream Air Flow Top.
I ran into some clearance issues with the hood and had to take a hole saw and drill a couple areas to clear the ac line from the compressor, and serpentine tensioner. Also the upper rad hose hits, but I don't think its too bad since I have it rapped with a plastic shielding. I'll glass those areas later.
Here's some pics of the air cleaner that I came up with to seal to the hood.
There is a 16 gauge aluminum "cake pan" 16" x 3" deep, that is cut in the center and the air cleaner base is attached/ sealed to. The sides of the pan are cut/ tapered front to back for hood clearance as that is the way the hood is angled when closed. The foam is Moroso flame resistant hood seal foam designed to seal the air cleaner to the hood and is 1.5" x 4". The foam seal is cut and fit over the side walls of the pan except for the top that seals against the hood. Cost was $20 for the cake pan and $20 for the Moroso foam seal. I used my existing base plate and K&N air filter, so $40 total and is basically the same thing as the $250 aftermarket one I was going to order and have to taper cut to clear the hood and add the foam seal to.
Another option is to use top bulb mount weatherstrip seal (trunk type seal), but I'm sticking with the foam seal for now.
Also, when I go to do the body and paint, I may change the air intake to a vent something like this one.
I still need to cut the opening in the air chamber for the air cleaner and glass the holes I made for extra clearance. I have a total of about $75 into it. I'll post more picks when I'm finished with the hood.