18%>0%>10% ?? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

18%>0%>10% ??

So you don't agree with the 18% so you leave NOTHING?

Pastor stiffs waitress on tip

I hate the "auto-tip" too....but I pay it anyway, since unless service is TERRIBLE, I leave 20%.

The first report of this said that there were no complaints about the service, so whats the problem here?
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

I am generally a 20-25% tipper. I think he was just being an ass..
Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

Perhaps she (the Preacher) was having a bad day, and just acted stupid. It happens - even to Preachers.

This source quotes the Pastor as claiming that the tip was actually paid, although the picture of the receipt shows a big fat zero. So, perhaps the 18% WAS paid, but in cash. We do that sometimes, too.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/01/31/pastor-...nt-on-receipt/

Steven
OldVetteFan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

I don't understand why would anyone do that!
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Steven...looks like you're right. The 18% was paid.

But what a dick thing to say anyway. Who here really thinks that the server has control over how the checks are tabulated.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Waiting tables is the toughest job I have ever done. As if the work isn't hard enough, you have to deal with ass holes like the person who wrote that on the receipt.

When we take vacation (my family), there are usually 6 or 8 of us and most of the restaurants add the 18% automatically. I usually give the waiter or waitress a few extra bucks as that is a pretty skimpy tip for even so-so service. For great service, I love giving a big tip.

The way I look at it, if you can't afford to pay the people working for you, don't go out!
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Steven...looks like you're right. The 18% was paid.

But what a dick thing to say anyway. Who here really thinks that the server has control over how the checks are tabulated.
I concur. Someone in that position has to remember that they are always on display, and it is their responsibility to maintain - at the very least - the persona of respectability and honor associated with it.

So - taking this topic in a different direction ...
WHY do we tip?
Do restaurant servers get a tip because it's the nature of the 'personal service' that we're getting? If so, why don't we tip nurses and doctors? I daresay that the 'service' they sometimes provide are about as personal as you can get! I recognize that the fee charged by the medical profession is steep, but put the absolute dollar value aside for a moment and consider the question ...

Who should be tipped?

Why isn't the full value of that service embedded into the cost of the product or service that you're receiving?

I tend to tip generously if I'm dining out in some official capacity, even if my entertainment isn't going to be reimbursed. When it's purely personal, the tip varies directly with my perception of the service.

Steven
OldVetteFan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

We tip because federal law allows waiters to be paid less than minimum wage. Thats because its always been understood that most of their pay comes from tips. Like others, I tip 20-25% unless the service is aweful. I figure people in this job are students or single parents and they can use a little generosity. I often tip 30% or more if the service is outstanding. I dont mind "spreading the wealth around a little" for people who are working to get by.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Tipping started in Europe: "To Insure Promptitude." I've heard that in some countries, you tip before the meal...basically buying good service.

If we stopped tipping here, servers would need to be paid true minimum wage and certainly the cost of dining out would go up.

I think EVERYONE should work as a server at least once. Get a real feel for the job, and what it takes. Would probably prevent bone-headed situations like what I posted from happening.

The Following User Says Thank You to XQIZT For This Useful Post:
BJC99Hardtop (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

I think the biggest problem here was the pastor brought what she tithes into it. What she gives god should be between her and god. To make it part of a night on the town was just plain wrong. Even more wrong was to fire the waitress for posting it.

But Steven does bring up a very interesting point. Why do we tip. Like Newb I tip between 20 and 25% and if service is really outstanding I go to 30%. I do not tip any where else besides the rare occasions I valet park. If I have the CTSV or the Corvette I park it myself, and still tip the attendent. I usualy get no complaint from the valet and they usualy have me park right in front near the restaurant. In the case of valet parking I tip to get the valet to treat my car with respect. I think at a restaurant we tip to keep our food from being spit on, but then of course we tip after the meal so it may have been spit on anyway.

I have read that proper etiquet is to tip your doorman and the maid that cleans your room at a hotel and the UPS man and the mail man.....the list is so long that if you did tip all of these people you would need welfare to live on.

As for automaticaly added tips...I think it costs servers more than they would lose. Like I said I tip 20% -25% but if the check comes back with 18% already added I do not add more. So the server is losing out on 2 to 7% at least.

There is one other place I tip but I think it is only right to support single mothers who dance for a living....1 dollar at a time.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
There is one other place I tip but I think it is only right to support single mothers who dance for a living....1 dollar at a time.
So THAT's how you met your wife! I thought she looked familiar!

Good Morning!

blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
So THAT's how you met your wife! I thought she looked familiar!

Good Morning!

Yes she remembers you too...you were the guy in the bathroom giving hummers to all the horny men. I heard you married one of those studs. Tell me have you stopped since you met your husband???

And a very good morning to you too.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Switch to fives. The service increases dramatically...
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
My mom was a waitress for many years, so when I tip, I usually tip very well. I know what most waiters/waitresses go through and it isn't easy, on top of not making minimum wage. I don't think we should stop tipping, because a good waiter/waitress can make substantially more than minimum wage in a decent restaurant. One thing, I assume most people don't know, is that the tip is usually shared between the waiter/waitress and the bussboy, and in some places a greedy manager will even take a portion of the tips...that one sticks in my craw...
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Yes she remembers you too...you were the guy in the bathroom giving hummers to all the horny men. I heard you married one of those studs. Tell me have you stopped since you met your husband???

And a very good morning to you too.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.