Remember This Case? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

Remember This Case?

I hope he gets every penny, this woman and her minions created one big shit storm.
Tawana Brawley served with court order to pay man she accused of rape in 1987

Rape-hoax $lap
  • By CHUCK BENNETT
  • Last Updated: 5:33 AM, January 31, 2013
  • Posted: 1:41 AM, January 31, 2013
EXCLUSIVE

Infamous hoaxster Tawana Brawley — whose outrageous rape lie 25 years ago inflamed racial tensions nationwide — yesterday was finally slapped with a court order to settle a hefty defamation case against her.
“For at least 25 years, she has been living a major lie,” said former Dutchess County prosecutor Steven Pagones, who was falsely accused of raping Brawley in 1987 and finally tracked her down, thanks to The Post.
“To me, this has always been about responsibility and accountability,’’ added the former ADA, who won the $190,000 defamation lawsuit against Brawley, 40, now a nurse in Virginia, more than a decade ago.

EXPOSED: Tawana Brawley had been living in hiding in Virginia until The Post tracked her down.

At 9 percent interest, that debt, which Brawley never attempted to pay off, now totals $431,492, according to the wage-garnishment papers filed in Virginia’s Surry County Court.
Brawley — whose unbelievable lies made the Rev. Al Sharpton a household name as he bombastically championed her cause — had changed her name and moved down South in the years since she was exposed.
Her fugitive-like antics long thwarted Pagones’ efforts to serve her with the court papers needed to get the financial damages due him.
But The Post finally found Brawley last month, effectively leading Pagones and his lawyer to her.
She was living under the assumed name of Tawana Vacenia Thompson Gutierrez in Hopewell, Va., and working as a licensed nurse at The Laurels of Bon Air, a nursing home in nearby Richmond.
According to Pagones’ lawyer, Garry Bolnick, the single mom’s wages could be docked 10 to 25 percent per paycheck as retribution for her lies.
Pagones said he might waive his entitled windfall — if Brawley finally ’fesses up.
“There is a feeling of unfinished business to it,” he said of the case that ended his career and cost him his marriage. “I look at this as another opportunity for her to tell the truth.
“People criticize me for going after a hardworking single mother trying to support herself and child. My argument has been she has not been held accountable.
“If she is not going to tell the truth, then it is about the money. That is the only way to hold her accountable,” said Pagones, who is now principal owner of a private investigations firm.
But Pagones said he wonders if Sharpton will again try to rush to her aid and bail her out.
“I’ve got to believe since he is primarily responsible for all the damage done, I would think he would come to her aid. That’s what I expect,” Pagones said.
Seemingly a lifetime ago, a 15-year-old Brawley of Wappingers Falls in Dutchess County was found in a trash bag covered in feces with the words “n- - - -r” and “bitch” scrawled upside down on her body and “KKK” carved into her shoe.
Sharpton, still relatively unknown outside New York City, and lawyers Alton Maddox and C. Vernon Mason, immediately took up her cause as she claimed she was attacked by a gang of white men, including Pagones.
When 28-year-old Fishkill Police Officer Harry Crist Jr., committed suicide a week later — likely over a romantic breakup and failing the New York State Police exam — Sharpton and his allies used the incident to accuse Crist of participating in the rape.
When Pagones, a friend of Crist, offered an alibi for his besmirched dead friend, he found himself accused of raping Brawley nearly three dozen times.
After a year of hell, a grand jury found Brawley’s accusations without any merit. She likely fabricated the story because she feared her stepfather’s wrath for staying out late, according to the grand-jury evidence.
“This has been on my mind every time Sharpton has been in the news,” Pagones said of the case.
“I am reminded of the damage Tawana Brawley, Sharpton, Mason and Maddox caused. It’s something I live with all the time.”
In 1997, Pagones won a defamation lawsuit against Sharpton, Brawley and her lawyers.
Maddox was found liable for $97,000, Mason for $188,000, and Sharpton was ordered to pony up $66,000, money that was coughed up by O.J. Simpson lawyer Johnnie Cochran and others.
Additional reporting by Amber Sutherland, Reuven Fenton and Michael Gartland
chuck.bennett@nypost.com
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Vaguely, I was riding a bike and playing Nintendo at the time. Wait a minute, which means I am the same age as her. I was capable of rational thought at that age and was quite aware of the difference between right and wrong, so I think she should pay because she lied and destroyed lives.
Upheval is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Ronnie T

Member #69714

My Corvette(s)

Angry

I would not feel sorry for her she had 25 years to do the right thing .Make her pay she hurt you and your friend
Ronnie T is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.