Rove and establishment GOP go after the Tea Party - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Rove and establishment GOP go after the Tea Party

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa — The biggest donors in the Republican Party are financing a new group to recruit seasoned candidates and protect Senate incumbents from challenges by far-right conservatives and Tea Party enthusiasts who Republican leaders worry could complicate the party’s efforts to win control of the Senate.

The group, the Conservative Victory Project, is intended to counter other organizations that have helped defeat establishment Republican candidates over the last two election cycles. It is the most robust attempt yet by Republicans to impose a new sense of discipline on the party, particularly in primary races.

“There is a broad concern about having blown a significant number of races because the wrong candidates were selected,” said Steven J. Law, the president of American Crossroads, the “super PAC” creating the new project. “We don’t view ourselves as being in the incumbent protection business, but we want to pick the most conservative candidate who can win.”

The effort would put a new twist on the Republican-vs.-Republican warfare that has consumed the party’s primary races in recent years. In effect, the establishment is taking steps to fight back against Tea Party groups and other conservative organizations that have wielded significant influence in backing candidates who ultimately lost seats to Democrats in the general election.
Story continues here...http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us....html?hp&_r=2&

It's just too bad that the Tea Party which was founded on Fiscal concerns became yet another faction of the GOP controlled by religious fanatics.

This seems like the begining of a civil war in the GOP and one which will certainly weaken it before it hopefully makes it stronger in the end.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

It's going on all over the country. The GOP leadership is trying to put down the libertarian/conservative factions. Hell, they are really having a doosy in Alaska..
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
This seems like the begining of a civil war in the GOP and one which will certainly weaken it before it hopefully makes it stronger in the end.
I agree completely. It's too bad the Tea Party crowd is so fanatical. What they basically want is what we need from a fiscal standpoint. But they are so determined to wrest control of the party from the moderates that they are willing to see the party go down in flames if they don't get it. It does look like civil war, and the only winners will be liberals and Democrats. They must be loving this.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I agree completely. It's too bad the Tea Party crowd is so fanatical. What they basically want is what we need from a fiscal standpoint. But they are so determined to wrest control of the party from the moderates that they are willing to see the party go down in flames if they don't get it. It does look like civil war, and the only winners will be liberals and Democrats. They must be loving this.
Until the next REAL civil war....
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

There is nothing "fanatical" about the Tea Party!
C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 CRUZR View Post
Sure there is, even among moderate republicans the idea of fiscal sanity is considered extreme. The idea of less federal government is extreme. The idea of less profit war is extreme.
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 CRUZR View Post
OK, maybe fanatical is the wrong word. Let's say unaccepting of moderates in the Republican Party. The problem for the Tea party is that they don't have the numbers to win national elections. On one hand, they need moderates (just as moderates need them), and on the other hand, they refuse to do business with them. That's what I'm talking about.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Quote:
OK, maybe fanatical is the wrong word. Let's say unaccepting of moderates in the Republican Party. The problem for the Tea party is that they don't have the numbers to win national elections. On one hand, they need moderates (just as moderates need them), and on the other hand, they refuse to do business with them. That's what I'm talking about.
It is an extremist position, group. You are correct Tex. They see themsleves as the only oppinion worthy of discusion and they are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. they need to be reigned in for the good of the party, and the country.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
It's not the right wing pulling the shenanigans.. we are using their rules and beating them at their game. So now they are changing the rules..
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
It's not the right wing pulling the shenanigans.. we are using their rules and beating them at their game. So now they are changing the rules..
Where are you beating them at their game? You had a good election in 2010. Since then, the impact of the Tea Party has diminished considerably. They were hardly a blip in 2012. The Tea Party isn't winning anything. It's just keeping the Republican Party from winning anything either.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
It is an extremist position, group. You are correct Tex. They see themsleves as the only oppinion worthy of discusion and they are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. they need to be reigned in for the good of the party, and the country.
Quote:
The 'experts' on the Tea Party...
ArKay99 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
The 'experts' on the Tea Party...
Look at the 2012 elections compared to 2010. There were far fewer Tea Party backed candidates elected. There were some to be sure. Ted Cruz is a new senator from Texas, and the early returns on his abilities and effectiveness are good. But overall, the impact of the Tea Party is less now than it was 3 years ago. I talk politics with lots of my patients (only if they bring it up first ). Three years ago, there was a lot of excitement about the Tea Party gatherings around the area. I went to a couple of them and was impressed. But as time passed, and it became clear that the Tea Party was hurting the Republican Party in national elections, many fringe visitors like myself decided the Tea Party way was going to cripple the only party that can oppose the Democrats.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Look at the 2012 elections compared to 2010. There were far fewer Tea Party backed candidates elected. There were some to be sure. Ted Cruz is a new senator from Texas, and the early returns on his abilities and effectiveness are good. But overall, the impact of the Tea Party is less now than it was 3 years ago. I talk politics with lots of my patients (only if they bring it up first ). Three years ago, there was a lot of excitement about the Tea Party gatherings around the area. I went to a couple of them and was impressed. But as time passed, and it became clear that the Tea Party was hurting the Republican Party in national elections, many fringe visitors like myself decided the Tea Party way was going to cripple the only party that can oppose the Democrats.
What you are saying is that in order for republicans to win elections they need to comply with the other party that refuses to compromise... If they do that, they won't be republicans any longer...just middle of the road democrats...or RINO's. Guess you bought into the democrats mantra...no turning back now...
ArKay99 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
What you are saying is that in order for republicans to win elections they need to comply with the other party that refuses to compromise... If they do that, they won't be republicans any longer...just middle of the road democrats...or RINO's. Guess you bought into the democrats mantra...no turning back now...
If you think there is no difference in a moderate Republicand and a Democrat, you aren't paying very close attention. The Tea Party loves that RINO epithet and uses it in their circle jerks where they all convince themselves that anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun is really a Democrat. But moderate Republicans simply understand that this is not a monolithic population. There are many groups with many ideas about how the country should be run. As much as I might agree with Tea party economic principles, I understand that 25% of the voters don't get to decide how the country is run. That means I understand that Republicans must participate in the "C" word - compromise. If your position is "our way or the highway - no compromise", you will get the highway, because you don't have the numbers to get your way. It's a hard reality, and by all appearances it's a reality the Tea Party refuses to recognize.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Where are you beating them at their game?
At the state level, where all the shenanigans are going on.. went on during the primary, going on now. You guys costs us 2 elections and still want power.. Not gonna keep it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.