Postal Service to Cut Saturday Mail - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Postal Service to Cut Saturday Mail

The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion annually, the financially struggling agency says.

In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet services.

Under the new plan, mail would be delivered to homes and businesses only from Monday through Friday, but would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays.

Over the past several years, the Postal Service has advocated shifting to a five-day delivery schedule for mail and packages and it repeatedly but unsuccessfully appealed to Congress to approve the move. Though an independent agency, the service gets no tax dollars for its day-to-day operations but is subject to congressional control.

It was not immediately clear how the service could eliminate Saturday mail without congressional approval.

But the agency clearly thinks it has a majority of the American public on its side regarding the change.

Material prepared for the Wednesday press conference by Patrick R. Donahoe, postmaster general and CEO, says Postal Service market research and other research has indicated that nearly 7 in 10 Americans support the switch to five-day delivery as a way for the Postal Service to reduce costs.

"The Postal Service is advancing an important new approach to delivery that reflects the strong growth of our package business and responds to the financial realities resulting from America's changing mailing habits," Donahoe said in a statement prepared for the announcement. "We developed this approach by working with our customers to understand their delivery needs and by identifying creative ways to generate significant cost savings."

The Postal Service is making the announcement Wednesday, more than six months before the switch, to give residential and business customers time to plan and adjust, the statement said.

"The American public understands the financial challenges of the Postal Service and supports these steps as a responsible and reasonable approach to improving our financial situation," Donahoe said. "The Postal Service has a responsibility to take the steps necessary to return to long-term financial stability and ensure the continued affordability of the U.S. Mail."

He said the change would mean a combination of employee reassignment and attrition and is expected to achieve cost savings of approximately $2 billion annually when fully implemented.

The agency in November reported an annual loss of a record $15.9 billion for the last budget year and forecast more red ink in 2013, capping a tumultuous year in which it was forced to default on billions in retiree health benefit prepayments to avert bankruptcy.

The financial losses for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30 were more than triple the $5.1 billion loss in the previous year. Having reached its borrowing limit, the mail agency is operating with little cash on hand.

The agency's biggest problem and the majority of the red ink in 2012 was not due to reduced mail flow but rather to mounting mandatory costs for future retiree health benefits, which made up $11.1 billion of the losses. Without that and other related labor expenses, the mail agency sustained an operating loss of $2.4 billion, lower than the previous year.

The health payments are a requirement imposed by Congress in 2006 that the post office set aside $55 billion in an account to cover future medical costs for retirees. The idea was to put $5.5 billion a year into the account for 10 years. That's $5.5 billion the post office doesn't have.

No other government agency is required to make such a payment for future medical benefits. Postal authorities wanted Congress to address the issue last year, but lawmakers finished their session without getting it done. So officials are moving ahead to accelerate their own plan for cost-cutting.

The Postal Service is in the midst of a major restructuring throughout its retail, delivery and mail processing operations. Since 2006, it has cut annual costs by about $15 billion, reduced the size of its career workforce by 193,000 or by 28 percent, and has consolidated more than 200 mail processing locations, officials say.

They say that while the change in the delivery schedule announced Wednesday is one of the actions needed to restore the financial health of the service, they still urgently need lawmakers to act. Officials say they continue to press for legislation that will give them greater flexibility to control costs and make new revenues.

http://news.yahoo.com/postal-cut-sat...JRwmwAmErQtDMD
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I'm perfectly alright with cutting out Saturday mail if it reduces taxpayer subsidies of the Postal Service. I get 99 pieces of mail I would rather not have to every 1 piece that is good news. Hell, they can deliver once a week to homes as far as I'm concerned. Business -- obviously needs at least 5 days a week.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

If the post office was run like a private business,
they would have eliminated Saturday delivery
at least 10+ years ago.
C6 CRUZR is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Great...One less day I have to check for a bunch of BS that I don't want anyway.

While we're at it, lets see if we can get the guys to only deliver mail to the people that actually live in the house. I've been getting mail for a Pablo for 2 years now!
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
While we're at it, lets see if we can get the guys to only deliver mail to the people that actually live in the house. I've been getting mail for a Pablo for 2 years now!

You will have to get him to stop voting (using your address)first
walleyfisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
The Following User Says Thank You to walleyfisher For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Great...One less day I have to check for a bunch of BS that I don't want anyway.

Good luck with that, I've been in my house for 15 years now and the previous owners mail still shows up. About a month ago I had a repo guy show up and knock on the door asking if he could get the 2001 Malibu. I laughed and said I didn't own one. That's when I found out they used my address on their last loan and defaulted on it. I've contacted the post office and have written letters and still nothing has changed.
raidmagic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
92Roadster

Member #36181

....well, one good thing is..no bills in the mail on Saturday...
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

They could go to a M-W-F delivery, wouldn't hurt my feelings.
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
You will have to get him to stop voting (using your address)first

I've been getting high level postal union material sent to me. I took it back to the local P.O. and told them it was for some high level union rep and thier eyes got pretty wide...I haven't seen anything for the union rep any more...
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

I agree that stopping Sat delivery is not a big deal. I get all my bills emailed to me anyway. The only thing that shows up in the mailbox is junk or my car rags.
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

There is nothing that I get that can't wait a few days. I don't look at most of it anyway/ Last fall I started about the 5th or 6th of October to keep the catalogs that we got. The day after Christmas I weighed them, 67.5 pounds and that doesn't include the flat or envelop size mail that is considered junk.
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
4LitreRR
DC Crew

Member #31557

My Corvette(s)
62' Corvette Lamp - With real motor sounds!

Saturday Priority Mail package deliveries are always nice. They could maybe just cut it down to Priority Mail only on Saturdays. However, it's just a luxury at that point anyway - so screw the delivery and save the money. Although most likely they will make the cut to save the money/jobs, then expand their budget to completely negate the savings...
4LitreRR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #13
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
There is nothing that I get that can't wait a few days. I don't look at most of it anyway/ Last fall I started about the 5th or 6th of October to keep the catalogs that we got. The day after Christmas I weighed them, 67.5 pounds and that doesn't include the flat or envelop size mail that is considered junk.
...you need to cut back on those adult toy catalogs, I think
your Postal Carrier would be happy....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1962 327/300hp, 1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

I've never been able to understand why people are so confused that the US Postal Service isn't profitable. Here, I've just handed you an envelope and told you to deliver it right to the door of anyone in the United States I choose. Anywhere from Alaska to Maine. Oh, by the way, here's 46 cents for your trouble.

Are you kidding me?

The postal service is just that - a SERVICE. Of course it needs to be run in a businesslike and efficient manner (which is the kiss of death for any government agency), but it is NOT a business - it's a service. Anyone who thinks they can make any money delivering those big, fat Hemmings Motor News issues all over the country (and in fact the world) for what they charge to do so is patently insane. So, they need to cut back on some of those - here's that word again - services. OK, fine. Do what you need to do.

But for those who complain about what the USPS costs, and how much money it loses . . . would you prefer privatization? Have you compared FedEx and UPS charges lately? That's why the US Postal Service's package delivery business is way up. No one does a better job for less than the post office. I don't think anyone can. The reality is that mail itself has changed. E-mail, faxes and facebook have eliminated most written correspondence (and spelling and grammar are now pretty much extinct). The post office needs to evolve, and we are seeing part of the process.

Just my opinion. I still like getting mail, but that may be a generational thing. I know my local newspaper just went to a Tuesday - Thursday - Sunday only delivery, and I miss those other days. Guess that's the way of the world now, though. Pursuit of the Sustainable Business Model.

- sigh -
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
I've never been able to understand why people are so confused that the US Postal Service isn't profitable. Here, I've just handed you an envelope and told you to deliver it right to the door of anyone in the United States I choose. Anywhere from Alaska to Maine. Oh, by the way, here's 46 cents for your trouble.

Are you kidding me?

The postal service is just that - a SERVICE. Of course it needs to be run in a businesslike and efficient manner (which is the kiss of death for any government agency), but it is NOT a business - it's a service. Anyone who thinks they can make any money delivering those big, fat Hemmings Motor News issues all over the country (and in fact the world) for what they charge to do so is patently insane. So, they need to cut back on some of those - here's that word again - services. OK, fine. Do what you need to do.

But for those who complain about what the USPS costs, and how much money it loses . . . would you prefer privatization? Have you compared FedEx and UPS charges lately? That's why the US Postal Service's package delivery business is way up. No one does a better job for less than the post office. I don't think anyone can. The reality is that mail itself has changed. E-mail, faxes and facebook have eliminated most written correspondence (and spelling and grammar are now pretty much extinct). The post office needs to evolve, and we are seeing part of the process.

Just my opinion. I still like getting mail, but that may be a generational thing. I know my local newspaper just went to a Tuesday - Thursday - Sunday only delivery, and I miss those other days. Guess that's the way of the world now, though. Pursuit of the Sustainable Business Model.

- sigh -
Somebody has never heard of economies of scale. You don't actually think your letter carrier drives accross the country to collect each piece do you???
blckslvr79 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.