Well, I guess a beer summit is out of the question.. - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Well, I guess a beer summit is out of the question..

Ayatollah Rejects Biden Offer For Talks, Threatens USA

'Negotiations will not solve the problems' between Iran and the US, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said today, squashing one-on-one nuclear talks proposed by the US.

Iran's supreme leader today rejected the possibility of direct talks with the United States, nixing a proposal by Washington to ease the stalemate over Iran's nuclear program.

Six world powers – including the US – are due to resume nuclear talks with Iran on Feb. 26 in Kazakhstan, after an eight-month hiatus. Few expect a breakthrough, not least because Iran is preparing for elections in June.

But the words of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei – who has the final say on all strategic decisions in Iran, as official holder there of the title "God's deputy on earth" – appear to have scuppered chances of an immediate direct dialogue with the US.

"You [Americans] are pointing the gun at Iran and say either negotiate or we will shoot. The Iranian nation will not be frightened by the threats,"Ayatollah Khamenei told Air Force commanders in a speech today.

RECOMMENDED: How much do you know about Iran? Take our quiz to find out.

"Some naive people like the idea of negotiating with America [but] negotiations will not solve the problems," Khamenei said in the remarks, which were posted on his website. "If some people want American rule to be established again in Iran, the nation will rise up to face them."

US Vice President Joe Biden said on Feb. 2, that Washington was ready for one-on-one talks "when the Iranian leadership, supreme leader, is serious." And in recent days, both President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Iran's foreign minister issued cautious, but explicit and positive, signals about possible direct contact with the US.

Get our FREE 2013 Global Security Forecast now

Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said there would be "positive consideration" of Biden's words, and that there was "no red line for bilateral negotiations" if the US was sincere.
Turning the screw

But yesterday the US tightened sanctions against Iran, forcing Iranian oil importers into barter arrangements to further restrict cash flow into the country. The sanctions are the latest in a host of measures by the US and European Union that have crippled Iran's economy by choking its oil exports, central bank, and most financial transactions.

The moves taken yesterday were described by a senior Obama administration official as "a significant turning of the screw" that will “significantly increase the economic pressure on Iran.”

"Does imposing, in your own words, crippling sanctions show goodwill or hostility?" Khamenei asked today. "Iran will not accept to negotiate with he who threatens us with pressure. The offer of talks is meaningful when the other side shows goodwill."

Khamenei has nevertheless authorized Iran's talks with the six world powers, and said today, via Twitter, that "having relationships and negotiating with countries who had no deceit against us, is in our national interest."

The stated purpose of the raft of US and EU sanctions, along with four sets imposed by the United Nations Security Council since 2006 to hinder Iran's nuclear and missile programs, is to pressure Iran into agreeing to negotiated limits on its nuclear program so it can never build a bomb.

Iran says its nuclear program is peaceful and rejects nuclear weapons as un-Islamic. Khamenei has declared in the past that Iran would demonstrate that nuclear arms were not a prerequisite to being a global power. But Iran has been at loggerheads with inspectors of the UN nuclear watchdog agency, about access and about possible past weapons-related work.

Diplomatic efforts to resolve the Iran nuclear standoff are taking place in the context of an ever-increasing economic war, with sanctions at their center.

There is also a covert war being waged against Tehran that has, in recent years, been marked by the assassination of several Iranian scientists and multiple acts of sabotage, including targeted computer viruses.

Iran has also been accused of being behind a 2011 bomb plot to kill the Saudi Arabian ambassador in the Washington, and been linked to three other attacks in India, Georgia, and Thailand.

Iranian officials blame the US and Israel for this covert war. And Khamenei has often referred to it – along with sanctions – when accusing the US of trying to force regime change, rather than just a resolution to the nuclear issue.
Iran to US: You first

Khamenei raised questions about US sincerity soon after President Obama was inaugurated in 2009. In an initial overture, Mr. Obama said, "If countries like Iran are willing to unclench their fist, they will find an extended hand from us." Soon thereafter, Obama addressed the Iranian people and called for a "new beginning."

Khamenei reacted by saying that Obama had "insulted Iran." About the proffered hand of friendship, he said: "What kind of hand? If it is an iron hand covered with a velvet glove, then it will not make any good sense..."

Yet Khamenei also offered one thread of hope to the US. He said: "You change, and we will also change our behavior, too."

Since 2009, however, the violent aftermath of presidential elections in Iran that year made improvements untenable for both sides.

The covert war against Iran has also been stepped up, such that a regular theme in Khamenei's speeches has been the "iron fist" that he claims the US offered to the Islamic Republic, along with "lies" and insincere efforts to find common ground.

It is not clear what affect the rejection of bilateral US-Iran discussions will have on the next round of nuclear talks.

Analysts suggest that Washington hoped to bypass the rigid framework of the so-called P5+1 group (the US, Russia, China, Britain, France, and Germany), which handles the nuclear talks, in order to offer Iran an enhanced deal that would include permitting a level of uranium enrichment in Iran, and recognition of its "right" to enrich – both bottom-line demands by Iran.

Both Britain and France, especially, are seen to be unwilling to accept those steps in the P5+1 framework. Yet in three rounds of previous talks last spring and summer, all P5+1 players looked to Washington to shape the final, acceptable result.

The current P5+1 offer has been rejected by Iran. It requires Iran to first take several key steps to rein in its nuclear program, with no reciprocal guarantee that sanction relief will follow.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Feb. 5, that there would be an “updated and credible offer for Iran” in Kazakhstan, and that the “need to make progress is increasingly urgent.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middl...-with-US-video
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Leave it up to the libs to think they can just talk everything away.

You know....I got to agree with the Ayatollah here. I wouldn't want to sit down with Biden either.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
Leave it up to the libs to think they can just talk everything away.

You know....I got to agree with the Ayatollah here. I wouldn't want to sit down with Biden either.
Perhaps he thought he was talking to a bunch of democrats and said, "Gonna put y'all in chains!"
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
Our once proud, strong nation has lost the respect of the world. We are viewed as a nation of weak-minded, fat, stupid people that will not get their arses of the couch to shut off the toilet when it is over flowing. We just move the tv to a different room.

We've run out of rooms.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Screw talking.....let's get involved in another war that we can't pay for and that the American people will soon tire of...........
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

Biden gives us repubs the best chance to retake
the White house in 2016.
Referring to Biden as a Dunderhead is an
insult to all other Dunderheads.
C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 CRUZR View Post
Biden gives us repubs the best chance to retake
the White house in 2016.
Referring to Biden as a Dunderhead is an
insult to all other Dunderheads.
I like to think that, but in reality the moderate republicans will probably toss up another salad tosser with no real desire nor chance at election.
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
I like to think that, but in reality the moderate republicans will probably toss up another salad tosser with no real desire nor chance at election.

You mean Rove 'n' Company, I'm sure.
It's inevitable. The pub party has morphed into casper milktoast. The dems have figured out that the public wants free shit and that the description of a leader is the guy that's gonna get it for them.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Screw talking.....let's get involved in another war that we can't pay for and that the American people will soon tire of...........
War? Just bomb their ass to a crisp and move on.
The world will immeadiately calm down.

Of course, our liberal politicians dont have the spine.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorC6 View Post
Our once proud, strong nation has lost the respect of the world. We are viewed as a nation of weak-minded, fat, stupid people that will not get their arses of the couch to shut off the toilet when it is over flowing. We just move the tv to a different room.

We've run out of rooms.
That's why most big screens in the projects are hung on walls...no need to get your ass off the couch.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:

That has worked so well over the last 40 years.. almost as good as government education and the Federal Reserve System.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
That has worked so well over the last 40 years.. almost as good as government education and the Federal Reserve System.
I know! Right!

Maybe we could just take their guns away?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:

Doesn't seem like the world learned from what we did to Japan. They were nuclear crispy and no one cared.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Blkslv didnt get it...I know...war HASN'T worked...talking is something that no one likes...so whats the solution? Just buy the world a Coke?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Doesn't seem like the world learned from what we did to Japan. They were nuclear crispy and no one cared.
Have we had ANY issue with Japan since?

Seems some one did learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.