Pope Resigns - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Pope Resigns

I didn't know they could resign..

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after John Paul II's death.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me”

Pope Benedict XVI

The BBC's David Willey in Rome says the move has come as a shock - but adds that in theory there has never been anything stopping Pope Benedict or any of his predecessors from stepping aside.

Under the Catholic Church's governing code, Canon Law, the only conditions for the validity of such a resignation are that it be made freely and be properly published.

But resignation is extremely rare: the last Pope to step aside was Pope Gregory XII, who resigned in 1415 amid a schism within the Church.
Doctor's advice

A Vatican spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, said that even Pope Benedict's closest aides did not know what he was planning to do and were left "incredulous". He added that the decision showed "great courage" and "determination".

Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti is quoted as saying he was "greatly shaken by this unexpected news".

The brother of the German-born Pope said the pontiff had been advised by his doctor not to take any more transatlantic trips and had been considering stepping down for months.

Talking from his home in Regensburg in Germany, Georg Ratzinger said his brother was having increasing difficulty walking and that his resignation was part of a "natural process".

He added: "His age is weighing on him. At this age my brother wants more rest."

The Pope is not expected to take part in the conclave that will choose his successor, and will then retire to the papal residence at Castel Gandolfo when he leaves office.

Father Lombardi said the Pope would then move into a monastery of cloistered nuns inside the Vatican, for "a period of prayer and reflection".

'Full freedom'

At 78, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was one of the oldest new popes in history when elected.

He took the helm as one of the fiercest storms the Catholic Church has faced in decades - the scandal of child sex abuse by priests - was breaking.

In a statement, the pontiff said: "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

"I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.

"However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to steer the boat of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

"For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is."

A theological conservative before and during his time as Pope, he has taken traditional positions on homosexuality and women priests, while urging abstinence instead of blessing the use of contraceptives.

His attempts at inter-faith relations were mixed, with Muslims, Jews and Protestants all taking offence at various times, despite ongoing efforts to reach out and visits to key holy sites, including those in Jerusalem.

A German government spokesman said he was "moved and touched" by the surprise resignation of the pontiff.

"The German government has the highest respect for the Holy Father, for what he has done, for his contributions over the course of his life to the Catholic Church.

"He has left a very personal signature as a thinker at the head of the Church, and also as a shepherd."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Obama blew it. Too bad he picked a fight with the Catholics. He could have campaigned to be the next Pope.

Actually, Cardinal Dolan would be a great Pope for the church...that's why he won't get appointed.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Ratzinger is getting out while the getting is good. He is under fire for all of the children that the priests ruined and Ratzinger was the main guy in charge of priests found to have committed these crimes. A new documentary out on HBO shows how he dealt with a priest who was molesting deaf boys. Ratzinger allowed the priest, father Murphy to continue to be a priest until his death. The timing is well coordinated just after the release of this movie.

Ratzinger is a real piece of shit and it is highly suspicious that he will go into a cloistered monastery where he will not have to meet any members of the press or have to speak about all he knows at all.

Last edited by the machine; 02-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
Ratzinger is getting out while the getting is good. He is under fire for all of the children that the priests ruined and Ratzinger was the main guy in charge of priests found to have committed these crimes. A new movie out on HBO shows how he dealt with a priest who was molesting deaf boys. Ratzinger allowed the priest, father Murphy to continue to be a priest until his death. The timing is well coordinated just after the release of this movie.

Ratzinger is a real piece of shit and it is highly suspicious that he will go into a cloistered monastery where he will not have to meet any members of the press or have to speak about all he knows at all.
So your saying it's all political?

Say it ain't so! The Catholics playing politics?
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)
86e w/91 facias soon to be GS replica and now a 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
So your saying it's all political?

Say it ain't so! The Catholics playing politics?
We Catholics dont play politics - we are too busy getting drunk.
wildcatlock is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Ratzinger is getting out while the getting is good. He is under fire for all of the children that the priests ruined and Ratzinger was the main guy in charge of priests found to have committed these crimes. A new movie out on HBO shows how he dealt with a priest who was molesting deaf boys. Ratzinger allowed the priest, father Murphy to continue to be a priest until his death. The timing is well coordinated just after the release of this movie.

Lighten up Francis...

A movie from HBO! Now that's a bastion of hope and treasure trove of truth!

With an attitude like that you'd think you'd be at least a little pissed Menendez...just sayin'
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Lighten up Francis...

A movie from HBO! Now that's a bastion of hope and treasure trove of truth!

With an attitude like that you'd think you'd be at least a little pissed Menendez...just sayin'
I Know you have memory problems but you may want to think back to all the news about priests destroying the lives of inocent boys for decades. While I think Menendez is a piece of shit for abusing his authority to rip off the taxpayer and make himself and his buddy rich, I hardly think that meets the same level of harm as destroying the lives of thousands of young boys, and possibly turning them into the same sort of predator that ruined them, and allowing that to go on for even more decades by moving those abusers around from one parish to another to hide the truth, as Ratzinger did.
The Following User Says Thank You to the machine For This Useful Post:
Z06Fiend (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlock View Post
We Catholics dont play politics - we are too busy getting drunk.

...and just think all those plate offerings paid for the cover up
plus settlement cases.....

....just to think my fifty cents was part of it when I went to church....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
I Know you have memory problems but you may want to think back to all the news about priests destroying the lives of inocent boys for decades.
Like XQIZT and his defense of voter fraud, I have to say it's an extremely small percentage, so it's really insignificant.
Quote:
While I think Menendez is a piece of shit for abusing his authority to rip off the taxpayer and make himself and his buddy rich, I hardly think that meets the same level of harm as destroying the lives of thousands of young boys,
Thousands? Thousands?
Let's see...since abortion was legalized, over 54 million babies have been slaughtered and washed down the sewer. That's more than Stalin and Hitler combined, but not as many as Mao...but they're workin' on it...I know you approve of abortion, yet with these numbers you have the ignorance to condemn all priests for child molestation? Give me a fecking break...
Quote:
and possibly turning them into the same sort of predator that ruined them, and allowing that to go on for even more decades by moving those abusers around from one parish to another to hide the truth, as Ratzinger did.
Got proof?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

Thousands? Thousands?
Let's see...since abortion was legalized, over 54 million babies have been slaughtered and washed down the sewer. That's more than Stalin and Hitler combined, but not as many as Mao...but they're workin' on it...I know you approve of abortion, yet with these numbers you have the ignorance to condemn all priests for child molestation? Give me a fecking break...
Yes and just think how many sperm cells you wasted all those years all over the pages of playboy magazine and National Geographic. Remember every sperm is sacred every sperm is great if the sperm is wasted god gets quite irate.

I don't know why you defend child rapists....unless you are one too.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Yes and just think how many sperm cells you wasted all those years all over the pages of playboy magazine and National Geographic. Remember every sperm is sacred every sperm is great if the sperm is wasted god gets quite irate.
Well then, It's obvious your best features ran down our father's leg...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Like XQIZT and his defense of voter fraud, I have to say it's an extremely small percentage, so it's really insignificant.
You are out of control. I never defended it, but if it helps you sleep at night knowing that you purposefully contorted my words, then so be it.

I also said that despite there being so few cases, that those offenders should be prosecuted.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
You are out of control. I never defended it, but if it helps you sleep at night knowing that you purposefully contorted my words, then so be it.

I also said that despite there being so few cases, that those offenders should be prosecuted.
Thrust and parry...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Well then, It's obvious your best features ran down our father's leg...
Thats kind of funny but your best features ran down your mothers leg.(as the joke actualy goes) Don't worry we can chalk up your blowing the joke on your alzheimers.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Thrust and parry...
Oh so you were a priest.

Now it all makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.