Best Hoist and technique? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Best Hoist and technique?

Well, getting prepared to pull the ol lump out of the nose of the 77. Obviously, I'll take the hood off, but I would really prefer not to take the front bumper off. What type of hoist/crane do I need? How far of a reach does it need? Is it possible to lift from the side instead of straight in? I'll remove the transmission out the bottom, so I will only be needing to lift the block out.

Also, I've already taken the heads off, looking for damage. Help me out...where can I lift the motor from?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by XQIZT; 02-13-2013 at 11:56 AM.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

You have several options.

I have a USA made hoist with a 5' boom on it so I use a tilter and pull the eng & trans as one from the front. These are SB engines, BB will be possible but I don't own any. The Tilter allows it to be done.

I have also pulled just engine out using a 4x4 "A" frame I built and a chain fall.

A lot of the common hoists(imported) do not have long enough booms and you will have to pull from the side of the car.

When I was a kid we stripped the 327 in my 67 down to the bare block in the car then used a sling between the open cylinders and 2x4 with a guy on each side to lift it out.

See what a rental place has, they just might have an old USA made hoist that will work.
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Well, getting prepared to pull the ol lump out of the nose of the 77. Obviously, I'll take the hood off, but I would really prefer not to take the front bumper off. What type of hoist/crane do I need? How far of a reach does it need? Is it possible to lift front the side instead of straight in? I'll remove the transmission out the bottom, so I will only be needing to lift the block out.

Also, I've already taken the heads off, looking for damage. Help me out...where can I lift the motor from?

Thanks guys!
I know this is different than mine, but when I pulled my LS1 on my C5 I used a $150 2-ton engine hoist from Harbor Freight. I used a couple of bolts in the oold head mount bolt holes and chained to that. The trick with that one is on the C5 you have the torque tube which has the end of the propeller shaft mating to the crankshaft through a bearing and the nose of the shaft can bind in the bearing. You won't have that problem. I know you're in Orlando, but if you want, you can come by and I'll loan you my hoist. It folds up so you can fit it in the back of an SUV. As far as putting the LS1 in, I made my own lifting plates and attached them to the valley cover bolts. I can lend you those as well.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Thanks!

I was actually thinking about buying one instead of renting one, since I will need it several times and after a few rentals, I could have bought one. I'll see if I can find a reasonably priced USA one, but I suspect I'll have to settle for something imported. With tools I use all the time, I opt for good stuff. This is going to see only occasional use.

With the heads off, is there a place to bolt the chain onto the block? Will the accessory bolt holes be ok?

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Thanks Arkay. I'm gonna wind up getting one, since we are going to be getting the LS swap done in "stages." More on that later.

I'll use Grade 8 bolts in some of the holes where the heads mounted. Just wanted to be sure there was no issues with that. I assumed an Iron block would be ok supporting its own weight, but I wanted to be 100% sure.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

I found my USA made Arcan hoist at a local swap meet years ago for $200. I'm not even sure Arcan is in business anymore?

Kind of like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/engine-hoist...a4f9a5&vxp=mtr

You can pull a long block or short block with a sling or chain. I use the holes in the heads or intake but you can use the head bolt holes just pick one that has support casting around it A short block is about 300 lbs or less.
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Arkay. I'm gonna wind up getting one, since we are going to be getting the LS swap done in "stages." More on that later.

I'll use Grade 8 bolts in some of the holes where the heads mounted. Just wanted to be sure there was no issues with that. I assumed an Iron block would be ok supporting its own weight, but I wanted to be 100% sure.
Just an FYI. The iron block won't be a problem, since it's most likely scrap anyway, but the weight of the block with the steel chains rubbing against the aluminum of the LS1 block will scratch and gouge it. If you look at an LS there is a valley between the heads and a valley cover goes between it. There a 10, I think bolts around the perimiter of it to not only hold it down, but seal it. I made a couple of plates and bolted those to those holes then attached turnbuckles to the chain and through the vertical struts of my plates. This way it was lifted from the top with no chance of a chain scoring any machined surfaces. I'm sure you know, the LS1 is a bit different than the older iron blocks in that the cooling for the heads comes up from vents in the block rather than through the intake manifold. Because of this the head decks need to be very flat and free from and imperfections or could get coolant into the tops of the cylinders. I'm looking for some pics of my swap and if I find them, I'll post them so you can see how it looked, using a cheapo chinese hoist.
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Thats good info!

We're actually holding off on the LS for several reasons right now. But it's still the long term goal.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Thats good info!

We're actually holding off on the LS for several reasons right now. But it's still the long term goal.
Cool. If you want to look at the pics, let me know. I can either post them or email them to you.

Best of luck on the project either way.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

I just used a 2 ton jack and a basic intake plate.
tektrans is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

I generally pull them together out of the front. You can pull from the side with just the block that's how we did Dan's car.

raidmagic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...t+swivel#p3006
grumpyvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Cool. If you want to look at the pics, let me know. I can either post them or email them to you.

Best of luck on the project either way.
Just a little hijack.....

I'm in Indian Rock Shores(Park Blvd & Gulf Blvd)for the Winter so this is just a friendly "Hello" from a temporary neighbor.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.....
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
bazza
DC Crew

Member #55957

My Corvette(s)
1977 LS1/4L60E auto 1969 5 speed 74 no speed

the engine tilter pictured in grumpyvettes and raid magic,s post is the kind to get hold of, i ve used them pulling out a 77 small block / TH350 in one piece and putting back in an LS / 4L60e. also used for a BB with 4 speed removal and put back in with a 5 speed. This is with a short hoist from the side of both vettes .Had to remove one front wheel to allow the leg of hoist to move in under the front/side of car . Need two people to make it easier
bazza is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Vette View Post
Just a little hijack.....

I'm in Indian Rock Shores(Park Blvd & Gulf Blvd)for the Winter so this is just a friendly "Hello" from a temporary neighbor.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.....
Hey, welcome to Fla-dee-dah! We've had great weather lately. If you see a pewter 99 FRC with chrome speedlines makin' a lot of rumble goin' by, that would be me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.