Z06 Tires - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
DraculaCV
DC Crew

Member #59779

Z06 Tires

Good afternoon all,

I am about to replace all 4 tires on my C6Z06 with Micheline Pilot Sports, but the guy I talked to at discount tire told me that I didn't need to necesarily get run flats. He said non run flats are available in the same size and they are cheaper. Is there any truth behind this and what should I do?

Thanks in advance!
DraculaCV is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

I am interested in the responses as well.

I need to replace my tires this Summer and can't help but be nervous about trashing my wheels due to a flat tire if running non-run-flats.

Everything I have read says that the performance is way better on the non-run-flats too.
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Unless you are running on a track I don't think you will see much difference in EMTs and reg tires. The guy at the tire store probably has never driven a Z06 on or off the track. And is just blowing smoke out his ass.

I ran both for over 30k on and off the track, my best times were with the stock Goodyear's, my best mileage was on Kumo non run flats.

I you are the only drive and are concerned with cost go with non run flats.

If you have a wife or girl friend that rides in or drives the car stay with the EMT for peace of mind. One flatbed tow and possable damage to the car plus the flack you will catch from the wife or girlfriend will far out weigh the extra cost of the EMT's.
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to iburke For This Useful Post:
thummon (08-08-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
chadmac99c5
DC Crew

Member #56556

My Corvette(s)
2004 yellow z06

Garage
I sell tires for a living... The goodyears <any goodyear high performance tire> are over priced and after about 6-8k miles the compound gets harder than a preacher's dick. MIchelins or the Kuhmo's are the way to go... I'm on my 4th vette since 2006. 3 c-5's and now a c6, 3 of them have had and currently have khumo's.
chadmac99c5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to chadmac99c5 For This Useful Post:
LennyJ (05-21-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

If the car is anything close to a daily driver, and if you ever take trips, stay with the run-flats. Sooner or later you're going to need them. If it's just for running around town on weekends and occasional trips to the track, you could probably go with the non run-flats. To me, this decision is totally based on how you drive the car.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Texdentist For This Useful Post:
thummon (08-08-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmac99c5 View Post
after about 6-8k miles the compound gets harder than a preacher's dick.
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
toppthat
DC Crew

Member #119990

I replaced my f1s at 8500 mi in aug. 345/30/10 psc non.rear 285/35/18pss non front. they are better then stockers but if you have an extra 100 rwhp.traction still is lacking. I have N.C.M insurance with towing.Hope i dont regret the non run flats.
toppthat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

One thing to consider, is tire weight. Unsprung weight makes a huge difference in handling and launch. The non-run-flat Michelin rear tire weighs 3 pounds less than the Run-flat Michelin, and two pounds less than the OEM tire. The front wieghs 6 pounds less than the run-flat and 5 pounds lighter than the OEM. This is significant wieght when talking unsprung wieght, especialy in the front.

So the non-run flat would handle and accelerate better than the OEMs. Note that the tire wieght only improves acceleration due to better control of wheel hop, and therefor better traction. But handling and ride quality are greatly affected by lighter tires, wheels, etc. That said, one flat could ruin a nice day. You could buy one of the tire inflator kits that come with non-run flat equiped cars like the CTS-V. The kit comes with a pump and tire sealer. If you get a puncture the sealer will seal it, but if you cut a sidewall....your gonna need a tow. The pump inflates the tire if and when the sealer seals the puncture. You also could use the inflator that came with the car and just buy a can of fix a flat.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
MEATHEAD1

Member #48881

My Corvette(s)
ZO6 07

Same old article we had a few years ago, I will put this out there Michelin are the best I got INVO right now and there not as good as the mich,,,, the good year Run craps no thank you, I go threw a set about every year and half. And yes different tires,, take what you want out of this but my Z06 is driven in the city and hard spirit driving for miles at a time, and wet,cold and some of the hottest pavement called Texas summer.

Runflats are good if you drive more than 300 miles from home stiff side walls great for corner. Just saying if you do a lot of road trips.

NON run flats just straight out are great.
But here is thing if you own a cell phone, call someone if you get a flat. I am sure someone will come and get you.
MEATHEAD1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
YES YOU CAN DRIVE IT,,,,JUST MAKE THE FIRST PAYMENT.

I'M a Post Whore <------its official now.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

The OEM Goodyear's died at around 12K, being a runflat fan, peace of mind, etc., my second set of tires on my '10 GS were Michilin Pilot Sports RF's (about $2K), after 27K, with about 1/3 life left, the ride was hard, noisy, got on my nerves. Seemed like it was always a rough ride, no flex in the sidewalls.

After conferring with several other Vette owners, I could see a pattern growing and most were leaning towards the Nitto's.

Opted for a set (non-RF's, $1100) Nitto Invo's. What a difference, smooth, quiet, the ride was better than the new GY's when first bought the car.

Yes, lost the peace of mind with RF's, but just carry a plug kit and a little 12v compressor that fits in the rear hold.
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

I've been on the Invos for over 18K miles. They are great for every day driving. I had to put 38 psi in them when I ran them on a track last fall. Other than that, I haven't looked back since.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
toppthat
DC Crew

Member #119990

I got rid of my f1s and did the 345 psc non but 275/35/18 pss non front. Dont know if im going to regret it,all i cared about is traction.And im still not satisfied. If run flats have less traction,id swear they were zero improvement over crappy GYs
toppthat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
mx11vette
DC Crew

Member #121152

I carry one of those tire inflator cans. Never had to use it for any of my Vettes but did a couple times in my regular family sedan. Worked every time. Now with tire pressure sensors seems like you should be able to stopped before the wheel gets ruined unless you have a complete blowout
mx11vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
vetdude
DC Crew

Member #2565

My Corvette(s)
'02 A4 Conv / '99 MN6 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmac99c5 View Post
The goodyears <any goodyear high performance tire> are over priced and after about 6-8k miles the compound gets harder than a preacher's dick.
vetdude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
vetdude
DC Crew

Member #2565

My Corvette(s)
'02 A4 Conv / '99 MN6 CPE

I noticed no one reccomends the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT. From what I've read on the other Forum, the Bridgestone run flats out perform all others in overall performance and wear.

Note: If you've ever witnessed a C6Z being winched up on a flat bed at night on the side of a dark road, it ain't pretty...especially with the front splitter (that you'll have to replace by the way) only rides about 2"-3" off the ground anyway.

Note Note: The sidewalls of run flats have to be stiff enough to support the weight of the car when all air is expelled from the tire which translates to little or no flex, stiffer ride quality and reduced cornering ability.

IT'S A SPORTS CAR. IT'S SUPPOSED TO RIDE STIFF. GET THE RFTs.
vetdude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.