Dad's Long Lost Corvette (Please Read) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Sections > My Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

My Corvette Share the story about your Corvette!

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
8187vette
DC Crew

Member #120947

My Corvette(s)
1981 and 1987 Corvette

Dad's Long Lost Corvette (Please Read)

Hello Everyone,

First, thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I have been looking for my dad's 78 Silver Anniversary Corvette for the past 10 years, in hopes of buying it back. My search has lead me to Arkansas. I found out that the car has been registered in this state since 2009. I used a website called InstaVIN.com, which gave me the last known state and month/year the car was registered. The VIN for the car is 1Z8748S414477. The car was very unique. It was as if someone put a 78 body on an 82 Corvette. The last time we saw it, it had 1979 front and rear spoilers, mirrored T-tops, a wood grain dash kit, 79 to 82 seats (black interior), a very aggressive exhaust, and the strangest part of all, crossfire injection. I have been obsessed with finding this car, and if anyone has any suggestions, or could help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated. You can see a picture of the car on a craigslist ad. Just click here. http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/3621028568.html Thanks again for reading, and have a great day!

8187vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

I wish you luck in your search. I would love to get one of my dad's cars back before it is too late, but life won't allow it.
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

Quests like these are what makes life interesting, trying to recapture what was lost with the possibility of recovering. There are a few cyber sleuths here that may help with your endeavor.

Good luck to you.
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
I would love to find 3 of my previously owned cars

1. My 1966 GTO. Marina Turquose w/ black interior, 3x2,s, 4-speed, 3.90 Saf-T-Track. Purchased in Tennessee. Sold in Florida.

2. My 1969 Z-28 with ram air and the 4-wheel disc brake option. Cortez Silver w/ black interior, 4-speed and 4:11 posi. Purchased in Florida. Sold in Tennessee.

3. My 1970 454 Corvette, Marlbrough Red, black interior coupe. Heavily modded. I sold this car when gas hit $1.00/gal. AAarruuugghhhh. Bought in Tennessee. Sold in Tennessee.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
bob j
DC Crew

Member #54318

My Corvette(s)
66 roadster sold,70 roadster sold,79 coupe sold,92 coupe sold,01 coupe sold,07 3LTcoupe

Is there any way of locating a car without the vin #
1965 GTO & 1970 VETTE
bob j is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
bob j. suffolk cnty.L.I.N.Y.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
8187vette
DC Crew

Member #120947

My Corvette(s)
1981 and 1987 Corvette

Thank you all. I have had some experience with searching on the internet, and I can tell you it would be extremely difficult without the VIN. I would greatly appreciate help from anyone on here with some "computer skills" haha. I would just need to know how to get in contact with them.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
8187vette
DC Crew

Member #120947

My Corvette(s)
1981 and 1987 Corvette

I was just thinking, there is a way to locate a VIN for a car. If you had it listed with your insurance company, they should have a copy of the policy on file. You can get the VIN from there, then use instavin.com and search it. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
cor66vette
DC Crew

Member #125834

My Corvette(s)
1966 Roadster 1975 L-48 2003 50th AE

I know this is an older thread, but how are you making out?

Josh- Have you tried NCRS? They also have a "Driveline" where you can post your search. Have you tried the C3 Registry? These may be elementary, and you probably tried them already, but I had to throw it out there. Good luck.
cor66vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Unathismith
DC Crew

Member #125626

There is nothing in it..i mean the link you have posted has nothing in it..the pic of the car is nowhere to be seen.,.i guess it expired or something...
Unathismith is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
8187vette
DC Crew

Member #120947

My Corvette(s)
1981 and 1987 Corvette

Hey Everyone! Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile. I FOUND THE CAR!! After 10 years of searching, I found it 2 days ago. The owner and I talked, after a lot of discussion, he is selling me the car! The engine has been swapped for a built zz4 crate motor, but other than that, the car is pretty much the same . If you are looking for your older car, DON"T GIVE UP! It is more than likely out there!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

Good for you. Some info on how, where, etc., about your quest, tell us the story. Let's see some pics when you get a chance.
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Come on now you have to share the whole story on it. Tell us about the hunt and share pictures of it.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
blkbusa
DC Crew

Member #86147

My Corvette(s)
98 C5 MN6 Supercharged W/Meth injection

Congrats on finding your Dads Vette
blkbusa is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
98 6spd Vortech Supercharged 575RWHP/530TQ
Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
8187vette
DC Crew

Member #120947

My Corvette(s)
1981 and 1987 Corvette

The search started 10 years ago. The car was sold to a dealer in Springfield, OH, and they then turned and sold it at a Mecum auction in Indiana. This was back in 1998. In 2003, I called Mecum to see if they had records of the sale. They told me I missed the throw away date for those records by two weeks. For years I would check places like Ebay, and all of the classic car trader websites for the car. I have always had the VIN number, so that was my main focus. Last summer, I kept looking online to see what I could dig up. I finally found a website called instavin.com. They specialize in records for older cars. I paid $2, and they told me the state in which the car was located in, as well as the last time it was registered, and if it had been wrecked, totaled, etc. Unfortunately, they didn't have any private info. I found out the car was last registered in Arkansas. For about a year, I had ads on Craigslist with on the car. Several nice people offered to help me look, and some found cars that were very similar. Three weeks ago, on a Sunday, I got a call from a guy in Arkansas who saw my ad. He was a bondsman there, and advised me that he has to do title checks for cars used as collateral. He was extremely kind, and he took the VIN to the car, paid the $1 to run the registration, and called me back with the info. I tried calling the owner, and the number was disconnected. I then wrote a letter to the gentleman, explaining my story. About 5 days after I sent it out, it came back non deliverable. At that point I started looking to see if he was deceased. I had no such luck finding anything (thankfully). This past Monday, I woke up with this weird feeling. For some reason I knew I was going to find this car soon. By the end of the day, I decided to look into a private investigator. I typed in "private investigator" into Yellowbook.com, and searched in Arkansas. From the list that came up, I randomly selected one. I called the guy, and ironically enough, he was from my area, and moved to Arkansas the year we sold our car. Also, he spent 10 years hunting down his father's 55 Chevy. He was very nice, and wanted to help me. I offered to pay him, and he declined. He contacted the owner of the car, and called me back 20 minutes later, advising that the owner had the car, he had some health issues, and wanted to sell it. At this point, I honestly couldn't believe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78 Corvette.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	5849  
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
8187vette
DC Crew

Member #120947

My Corvette(s)
1981 and 1987 Corvette

To continue, I then talked to the owner myself, and I was honestly so nervous when I first called, that I was shaking. It turns out that the car is owned by an extremely nice family, who loved it, and took very good care of it. The owner told me that the car had traded hands with people in Arkansas for several years, until it finally found a home with them 5 years ago. The guy's wife went the next day and took several pictures for me of the car. They were in the process of replacing the carpet, and rewiring the entire dash on it, when he became ill. The picture from the last post is the last picture we had of the car. The on in this post, is the one I got 2 days ago. I was tickled to death to see that the car looked relatively the same. There were a few cosmetic differences, and some major mechanical ones. First, the mirrored t tops were gone, and had been replaced with the correct painted ones. The seats had also been replaced with correct 1978 seats. The biggest change, however, is under the hood. The crossfire injection motor was pulled, and replaced with a new zz4 crate motor. After some negotiating, the gentleman agreed to sell me the car, and he is now in the process of putting the interior back together.

I really feel like God meant for this to happen, and I can't be happier that I now have the opportunity to make our Corvette family whole again. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to sell a few things so I can get the loan. I'm sure it will happen soon though, I have faith. I just can't wait to go pick it up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68610_10151900966234704_1428308784_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	5857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.