offset and backspace rear fender clearance question for 19x9 wheels - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
brando1118
DC Crew

Member #84359

My Corvette(s)
1970 Stingray

offset and backspace rear fender clearance question for 19x9 wheels

Hello all,
As the title of the thread states I'm looking for info from anyone that is running 19's on their C3 or are much more knowledgeable about wheel fitment on our C3's than I am. So here goes:
The wheel:
Concept 1 CSL 5.5. BMW bolt pattern 5x120mm
They do not make custom sizes. What they offer is what you get.

wheel measurements: 19x9 with 15mm +offset.

With no wheel adapters and current +15mm offset the backspace of this wheel is ~5.6 inches.
I've never shopped or used spacers, but I'm assuming (dangerous) that they make 15mm spacers to bring my backspacing into a safer 5 inch range.

Now we get to my question: I LOVE wheels with a deeper dish. The choices of offsets from Concept 1 are +15mm (deeper dish) or +35mm (not as deep). Will the lower offset 15mm number plus 15mm adapter/spacer push my wheel outside of my stock fenders? I'm referring to the rear wheels here. Looking to run a 275/35 or 40 series tire. Whichever one is closest to stock wheel diameter.
Thanks!!
brando1118 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

There are enough differences in body and fit tolerances that you really aren't going to know unless you measure.

Try this...

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ass...Guide-2013.pdf

This guide should allow you to determine the needed spacings.

On a side note you might want to check that bolt pattern. I know it's close but if I remember correctly 5x4-3/4 = 5x120.7mm. Some will say it's close enough...... IMHO any sideways pressure on the wheel studs will weaken (stretch) them at the base. Not a good thing for a wheel stud.
7TRoadster is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 7TRoadster For This Useful Post:
treeb (02-27-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
brando1118
DC Crew

Member #84359

My Corvette(s)
1970 Stingray

Thanks 7TRoadster,
Yes, the more I learn about the ability of adapters to make things match up perfectly, you can bet I will go from the 5x120.65mm on the hub to the 5x120mm on the wheel. I've decided I will purchase one rim and have one tire mounted. I will make adapters out of wood and do the trial fit.
Thanks for the reply and the helpful advice.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
clemsontiger
DC Crew

Member #115223

My Corvette(s)
C3 1972 LS powered

I can't add anything to the conversation regarding if the tires will stick out or not, but I can add that the BMW wheels, lug pattern wise, will absolutly fit...I had them on my '72 before I changed to a 20" wheel with the Chevy bold pattern. I also used them on a '64 Impala build. I can also add that I'm running 1" adapters on all four wheels and have been for 8+ months and for at least 5000+ miles with no issues whatsoever. Just my 2 cents.
clemsontiger is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1972 LS Powered Vette
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

Clemsontiger,

I don't mean to start a thread war here but isn't this a photo of your car after running the BMW wheels?

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...157976&page=11

See post # 157
7TRoadster is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
brando1118
DC Crew

Member #84359

My Corvette(s)
1970 Stingray

All,
After doing some research on the plethora of different options for adapters, I'm going to purchase a set of adapters that bolt to the hub of 5x120.65mm and then will convert to 5x120mm, plus be hub centric to the hub and to the center of the wheel.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
clemsontiger
DC Crew

Member #115223

My Corvette(s)
C3 1972 LS powered

Haha, yes...but the fact that I was running BMW wheels and/or adapters wasn't the issue...the issue was not getting the adapters tight (not my doing). The point I was trying to make was, you CAN run the BMW wheels, no problem...you CAN run the adapters, no problem...assuming you get them tight when you put the on. I've run my current wheels and adapters 5000+ miles with zero issues.

If you have the choice, like OP does, go with the adapter that will convert BMW to Chevy...but you don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7TRoadster View Post
Clemsontiger,

I don't mean to start a thread war here but isn't this a photo of your car after running the BMW wheels?

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...157976&page=11

See post # 157
1972 LS Powered Vette
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsontiger View Post
Haha, yes...but the fact that I was running BMW wheels and/or adapters wasn't the issue...the issue was not getting the adapters tight (not my doing). The point I was trying to make was, you CAN run the BMW wheels, no problem...you CAN run the adapters, no problem...assuming you get them tight when you put the on. I've run my current wheels and adapters 5000+ miles with zero issues.

If you have the choice, like OP does, go with the adapter that will convert BMW to Chevy...but you don't have to.
Running the wrong bolt pattern can easily damage the wheel studs. I'd never run BMW wheels on a GM hub. You'r advice above could cause major damage and injury to a fellow enthusiast.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
Running the wrong bolt pattern can easily damage the wheel studs. I'd never run BMW wheels on a GM hub. You'r advice above could cause major damage and injury to a fellow enthusiast.
With your concern taken into consideration-were are talking about .65 of a millimeter here.
Would it be better to get the proper adapter? sure I guess but is it neccessary? IDK
On the other hand-5000 miles on the BMW wheels isn't exactly a tell all test IMO. Tell me 50,000 miles and then.......
tektrans is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
clemsontiger
DC Crew

Member #115223

My Corvette(s)
C3 1972 LS powered

My advice is to run whatever you want to run. I'm not forcing anybody to run anything. The fact is, people run BMW wheels on Chevy lug patterns all the time because there are a lot more wheel options in the 19-24" or larger wheels in the 5x120 pattern. You'll see this a lot more on "big wheel" cars than you do on hot rods, but it's out there. I'm not trying to tell you that it's a "perfect fit, run with it"...I'm just saying, if that's what you want to do, it can and has been done. I'm not sure that changing anything, including something as simple as going to a 17 or 18" wheel won't cause some issues over 50k miles. These cars were designed and engineered to run a specific size wheel and tire and any change to that will affect the way bearings, seals, brakes, etc wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
1972 LS Powered Vette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.