Service Bar Wall Display - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

Service Bar Wall Display

Just a quick shout-out to DC member C3C6 Norm, who makes up these service bar displays. He made this one for me, with my fire department service bars. It's a very nice and tasteful way to display your decorations - I'm not all that much into doing that sort of thing, but the kids & grandkids have been after me to "get all that stuff out of the box under the bed." When I saw the quality of Norm's work, I took a chance and had him make this up for me. The workmanship is top-notch.

The display is on the wall in my office, and I get favorable comments on it nearly every day. It measures about 19" x 24" as shown. Thanks again, Norm.

Deputy Chief David B. Reeves
Syracuse Fire Department
511 S. State Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
315-473-5525 x 703
Fax 315-422-7766
E-mail Dreeves@SyrGov.net
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fyreline For This Useful Post:
C3C6 Norm (02-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Very nice!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
jesters94
DC Crew

Member #119130

My Corvette(s)
1994 Brickyard 400 parade car

Very cool!!!

So what does each one represent?
jesters94 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1 of 25 1994 Brickyard 400 parade cars

http://s12.beta.photobucket.com/user...d%20pace%20car
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1972 LT-1 Roadster, 2007 3LT Convertible

Quote:
So what does each one represent?
The Syracuse Fire Department adopted a system of service bars about 20 years ago to replace the conventional medals and decorations worn on our Class A uniforms. This presents a much neater and more professional appearance, and keeps our more highly decorated members from looking (and feeling) like Idi Amin with all that hardware on your chest. Some of the medals were presented on neck ribbons, and dragging those through the potato salad at the Annual Awards Reception was really not very appropriate to the occasion. The service bars in my own display represent a 40-year career (so far) at some of our busiest companies, and include individual medals for valor following rescues of citizens and/or brother firefighters, unit citations for actions on the fireground, and EMS awards and citations for exceptional rescues and "saves" over the years. There are three different levels of awards, and you are limited to wearing no more than two rows of three for any level. I actually have a few more that I cannot wear. We do still receive the actual medals, but as I said, those are all in a box somewhere along with dozens of plaques and framed citations. I'm really not a big fan of the "I love me" walls I see some folks display. Just a personal choice. Yes, you've earned them all, and thank you for your service . . . but those of us who have been around a while understand that some of the finest, bravest work we've ever seen received little or no recognition at all. An early Fire Chief of the New York City Fire Department stated that a man should receive a medal when he joined the department - anything he did after that was in the line of duty. There's some truth to the sentiment, but having said that, we have all seen courageous acts that truly went "above and beyond" that call of duty.

I've always maintained that the awards, medals and citations aren't really for us - they are for our families. Those familes that have sacrificed so much of themselves and their precious time to enable us to do what we do. My children and grandchildren make a much bigger deal of the decorations than I do - and in fact, as I stated, this display was prompted by them. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and it will give them all something to remember me by when I'm gone.

But I ain't goin' soon, and I sure as hell ain't goin' quietly!
fyreline is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fyreline For This Useful Post:
jesters94 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Very cool!
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
pluslt
DC Crew

Member #82819

My Corvette(s)
2003 Z06

pluslt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
SOLD: 2003 Quicksilver Z06. LG Longtubes, Corsa Cat Back, Blackwing Intake, Hurst Short Throw, Textralia Clutch, 160 Degree Thermostat, ECS Tune. Iforged Aero's: 19s and 18s. Alpine IVA-W200, JBL speakers, amps and sub. Custom molded sub box with back lit LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.