Students Told to Call 9-11 Hijackers “Freedom Fighters” - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Students Told to Call 9-11 Hijackers “Freedom Fighters”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...-fighters.html

By Todd Starnes

An Advanced Placement World Geography teacher at a Texas high school who encouraged students to dress in Islamic clothing also instructed them to refer to the 9-11 hijackers not as terrorists – but as “freedom fighters,” according to students who were in the class.

Students at Lumberton High School were also told to stop referring to the Holocaust as Genocide – instead they were told to use the term “ethnic cleansing.”

John Valastro, the superintendent of the Lumberton Independent School District, told Fox News that the teacher did absolutely nothing wrong.

“What is more dangerous – fear and ignorance or education and understanding,” he asked. “From our standpoint, we are here to educate the kids.”

Valastro said the teacher involved is a 32-year veteran who was simply following state teaching guidelines.

“I don’t think my freshman-level teacher was trying to politicize radical Islam or anything like that,” he told Fox News. “I don’t think our teacher has..to my knowledge ever converted a single student to Islam.”
A Texas mom became outraged after she discovered a Facebook photo of her child wearing Islamic garb.

A Texas mom became outraged after she discovered a Facebook photo of her child wearing Islamic garb.

The Islamic lessons in the small public high school generated national attention after a photograph of four female students wearing burqas surfaced on Facebook.

April LeBlanc’s 15-year-old daughter was one of the students in the photograph. She told Fox News that many parents in the district feel betrayed by school officials.

“My biggest thing is not the burqa,” she said. “That was the key to opening up the rest. It’s scary how far they dove into the Islamic faith. It’s scary what they taught my daughter. Who’s in charge of this? How did our superintendent let this slip through the cracks?”

LeBlanc said the students were told that they could no longer use the terms suicide bomber or terrorist. Instead, they were instructed to use the words “freedom fighters.”

“This teacher taught her that a freedom fighter is when they give their life for the Holy War – and that they’re going to go to heaven,” she told Fox News. “They were saturating these kids in Islam and my daughter is an American Christian child.”

Madelyn LeBlanc told Fox News that it was clear her teacher was very uncomfortable lecturing the students.

“I do have a lot of sympathy for her,” the 15-year-old said. “At the very beginning she said she didn’t want to teach it but it was in the curriculum.”

Her mother added that it was her impression that the teacher did not agree with the quote about calling the terrorists freedom fighters and laced her lecture with sarcasm.

During a lesson on Judaism, LeBlanc said the teacher told the class, “Students, I’m supposed to be politically correct and tell you that the Holocaust was not Genocide. It was an ethnic cleansing.”

READ: STUDENTS DIRECTED TO DRESS IN BURQAS

LeBlanc said her daughter kept detailed notes of every classroom lecture and as she read the transcripts she became disturbed.

“Really,” she asked. “They can’t call the Holocaust Genocide? I was more upset with that than the lessons on Islam. It made me sick.”

And then came the comparison between the 9-11 hijackers and the freedom fighters.

Madelyn said a young man sitting beside her was stunned.

“He was shocked that we had to call them that,” she told Fox News. “He laughed and asked the teacher, ‘Is that a joke? Are you serious? Why do we have to call them that? That makes it sound okay (what they did) And it’s not.’”

Madelyn said the teacher didn’t know how to respond.

“She said it was something we have to learn for the end of the year testing,” she said. “I’m sure it was very difficult for her to do.”

Madelyn said the lesson about freedom fighters made her feel “terrible.”

“That made it sound like what they were doing was okay,” she said.

The superintendent also defended the lesson on freedom fighters.

“The whole idea behind this particular lesson – do you call yourself a freedom fighter or Islamic jihadist – or whatever it is you want to be called – you’ve got to put things in perspective,” the superintendent said. “We’re trying to teach the kids to discern for themselves that one thing can be called many different things.”

Valastro said it’s important for students to understand context.

“We might see it as terrorism, but from the Islamic side they might call it jihadist or freedom fighter,” he said.

The superintendent said he was not aware of the specific comments made about the 9-11 hijackers – but conceded there was only one side to the attack.

“I do agree it was a terrorist attack,” he said. “But in several classes across this country, you’re going to have a make-up of students from all over the world in your class. We teach it as an act of terrorism – whereas they are teaching it to their kids as a revolutionary event.”

Fox News has learned that the lessons were not part of a controversial statewide curriculum called CSCOPE. That program has generated massive criticism for being pro-Islam and anti-Christian.

Janice VanCleave, a vocal CSCOPE critic and the founder of Texas CSCOPE Review, said that may be the case – but the fingerprints of CSCOPE are all over the AP class.

“With or without the lessons, the class was using required information set by CSCOPE and required by the superintendent,” she said.

VanCleave said she was personally disgusted to learn that Texas school children were being taught that the 9-11 hijackers were freedom fighters.

“This has to stop right now,” she said. “Texas superintendents and school board members are to blame for CSCOPE being in Texas schools. Anyone of them that promotes the use of the title of freedom fighters for those who destroyed and killed so many on 9-11 need to be removed from our schools today.”

VanCleave said school administrators who support CSCOPE are “working to destroy Texas education and teach our children untruths.”

One controversial lesson actually instructed students to call the Boston Tea Party a terrorist act.

“The Boston Tea Party (participants) were freedom fighters,” she said. “The 9-11 hijackers were terrorists.”

Valastro blamed the controversy in his district on outsiders.

“The unfortunate thing is we have a group in Texas that has politicized our curriculum,” he said. “It’s unfortunate this teacher is getting beat up in the middle of this so people can make political points.”

As for the Boston Tea Party – the superintendent said it goes back to perspective.

“We were revolutionaries, but on the British side of the ocean we were destroying their content and they saw it as a terrorist attack,” he said.

LeBlanc said she was especially bothered by the lack of emphasis on other religions. She said there were hardly any lessons on Judaism and none on Christianity.

“I wondered how it was okay for them to go so in-depth into a religion from the other side of the world but it was not okay for them to be like that with Christianity,” she said.

“I try to stay open-minded,” she said. “I don’t want my daughter to be ignorant about the world. My kids watch the news with us. We make them aware. I don’t even mind the high school teaching these things.”

But, she added, there was no balance.

“They can talk about how important Mecca is – but why aren’t they talking about how important Christianity was to the founding of the nation,” she asked.

LeBlanc and other parents said they feel betrayed.

“We trusted these people,” she said of the school system. “It scares me. I feel like our school is being infiltrated. How can this not be a sign? We’re talking about Lumberton, Texas. We’re talking about a small town with Christian churches on every street corner. Right in our small school this is going on.”
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Velkom komrade to the United States of Amerika. Please leave all views unapproved by the State at zee boarder.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

This shows how important it is for parents to get involved with their kids, and know what they're being taught.

Last edited by KennyGS; 02-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Fmr speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi calls them freedom fighters also..
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
gmjunkie
DC Crew

Member #33628

My Corvette(s)
69 300/350/3sp,78 L82 Cp.,81 Red Auto Cp., 01 ZO6 Black,03 Z51 6Sp. Cp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
Fmr speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi calls them freedom fighters also..
And she is a evil CUNT.!~!
gmjunkie is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
junk!!"Let your plans be murky and confused in daylight, and when you move, fall like a wet turd." - Sonny Toefoo
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
And she is a evil CUNT.!~!
MIKE80 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
Velkom komrade to the United States of Amerika. Please leave all views unapproved by the State at zee boarder.
If you are teaching a balanced lesson on the idea that actions by people can be viewed differently based on their point of view....that's a valid lesson, and you show how two sides can view the same act differently. Reading the article, you get the idea that the students were told NOT to call them terrorists, but rather call them freedom fighters. And they were told NOT to call the holocaust genocide, but rather ethnic cleansing. That's not teaching two viewpoints. It's teaching that the prevailing American viewpoint is wrong and the viewpoint of the ones who did the killing is correct. I completely disagree with your suggestion that outside ideas aren't being accepted here. Students seem to be being told that the mainstream American view is unacceptable and the viewpoint of our enemies IS acceptable. If you are going to teach lessons like this, you need to make it perfectly clear what the two viewpoints are and let the students decide which viewpoint they agree with more.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Seems like the teacher was even uncomfortable with the lesson...according to the article...

Golly...is it even possible that "big bad boy better than everyone else" Texas has problems like everyone else? Shhh....don't tell Texas that!
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Seems like the teacher was even uncomfortable with the lesson...according to the article...

Golly...is it even possible that "big bad boy better than everyone else" Texas has problems like everyone else? Shhh....don't tell Texas that!
We got 3 huge problems, West New Orleans (Houston) Austin and San Antonio. Need a good old fashioned cleanup week in those places.
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
If you are teaching a balanced lesson on the idea that actions by people can be viewed differently based on their point of view....that's a valid lesson, and you show how two sides can view the same act differently. Reading the article, you get the idea that the students were told NOT to call them terrorists, but rather call them freedom fighters. And they were told NOT to call the holocaust genocide, but rather ethnic cleansing. That's not teaching two viewpoints. It's teaching that the prevailing American viewpoint is wrong and the viewpoint of the ones who did the killing is correct. I completely disagree with your suggestion that outside ideas aren't being accepted here. Students seem to be being told that the mainstream American view is unacceptable and the viewpoint of our enemies IS acceptable. If you are going to teach lessons like this, you need to make it perfectly clear what the two viewpoints are and let the students decide which viewpoint they agree with more.
Sure, and Obama's a nice guy who means well, the check is in the mail and I won't come in your mouth.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
Sure, and Obama's a nice guy who means well, the check is in the mail and I won't come in your mouth.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
BAADC6

Member #43506

My Corvette(s)
2005 Z51 Twin Turbo, 2008 Z51 (wifes), 2010 ZR1

How sad Whats wrong with america. They were fucking terrorists!!!
BAADC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAADC6 View Post
How sad Whats wrong with america. They were fucking terrorists!!!
Bam bam bama, the sheep liberels, and the Elites want 100% control.

Brown shirts.
Hitler did the same in Nazi Germany.
Went after the youth and brainwashed them. He suceeded.
Americas youth are supposed to do bamas dirty work.
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAADC6 View Post
How sad Whats wrong with america.
The democrats and their brownshirts, mostly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.