Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Holy Schmokes, I think an LT1 dyno chart is out

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  spd98 
#1 ·
From the SAE, in a new paper on the development of the Gen V engines, presented Tuesday.
""Development of the Combustion System for the General Motors Fifth Generation "Small Block" Engine Family"

You can purcahse it here: http://papers.sae.org/2013-01-1732/ for $24

It contains a dyno plot comparing the LT1 to the LS3. Highlights include:

-peak horsepower occurs at 6400 rpm and is 28kw higher than the LS3 (which peaked at 5900 in the graph). That is 37.5 horsepower improvement.

-peak torque occurs at about 4500 rpm and is 28 n-m higher than the ls3, which shows its peak at 4600 rpm. That is roughly a 20 lb-foot improvement.

-at 2000rpm torque is up roughly 28 lb-feet

-at 3000 rpm torque is up roughly 30 lb-feet

-The LT1s graph goes all the way to 7100rpm, the LS3s stops at roughly 6400 rpm.

-Power at 7100 rpm is down roughly 13 hp from peak in the LT1

That would put the motor at around 470-475hp, 450lb-ft of torque, with a very similar shape to the LS3, just more torque (and, hence, power) across the board.

Of particular note is that this suggests that the motor could rev a bit more, like the LS7. That should have positive implications for performance and sound.

Fuel type was not specified, no mention of E85 was made in the article.

See less See more
#2 ·
In other engine comparison dyno graphs...

The 4.3l V6 engine shows a cool 95 horsepower gain (!!!!)

Another chart shows a 6-7% reduction in fuel consumption for the LT1 at different engine speeds and throttle settings, with all 8 cylinders running. The same chart shows 12-18% reduction in fuel consumption for the LT1 relative to the LS3 when the LT1 is operating in its AFM mode. Engine speeds in these charts were 1300, 2000, and 2200 rpm.

That would imply an EPA highway rating for the C7 of around 30 as I'm sure they will tune it to use AFM as much as possible during the test. 30 would represent 15% less fuel used.

Both my C6 Z06 and C6 convertible auto averaged 27-28 at 75mph highway (sometimes in the 30s in favorable conditions) so the C7 should be able to average 30-32 in similar conditions, making it a pretty decent highway cruiser in that regard.

Thats all the info I saw on a first read of the paper.

#3 ·
wow, neat info! :thumbsup:

I'm not going to pay the $25 for the paper, so I'll take your word on it until GM has an official release ;)

#6 ·
No mention of the exhaust system back of the engine bay was made that I recall seeing, but I skimmed it pretty quickly.

On the LS3 dyno plot, the torque curve had a small plateau at around 3000-3500 rpm, then moved up. On the LT1 plot, the torque curve actually dipped from about 3000-3500 before resuming its upward slope.

That could relate to the valves opening up in an NPP exhaust?

#7 ·
470 hp would pretty much eliminate people's (my) complaints about the C7's extra weight. After my initial depression I'm SLOWLY accepting that the C7's extra MPG, interior quality, and chassis stiffness are worth a little extra heft. :thumbsup: (But I still wish they ditched AFM and the steel torque tube).

#13 ·
People have been handling the C6s 400-638hp without too many problems. Sure a few crashes here or there but for the most part still a very easy to drive car. And if the average joe turns the electric nannies off in any high performance car you are asking for trouble. Whether said car has 300 or 10000hp. Stupid will be stupid. JMHO

#14 ·
Yes but the amount of thought that goes into a stab of the throttle tends to be directly proportional to the percent of ones net worth the car represents. aka generally the more a car costs the less likely the owner is gonna do something stupid regardless of hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.