Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Virginia Guidelines for Aftermarket Exhaust

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mjeagent 
#1 ·
Wondering what the guidelines are in Virginia for putting an aftermarket exhaust on my C6. The two I am looking at are made by Borla and Corsa. I have learned that Chevy dealerships will install an aftermarket Corsa exhaust, but I wanted to make sure that I pick the right one so I don't get into trouble when inspection time comes around or when I see those blue and red lights flashing behind me.
Thanks.

#2 ·
mjeagent said:
Wondering what the guidelines are in Virginia for putting an aftermarket exhaust on my C6. The two I am looking at are made by Borla and Corsa. I have learned that Chevy dealerships will install an aftermarket Corsa exhaust, but I wanted to make sure that I pick the right one so I don't get into trouble when inspection time comes around or when I see those blue and red lights flashing behind me.
Thanks.
When it comes to inspections, the concern is emmissions not so much the exhaust itself. So blown out mufflers and or gutted cats are a no-no at inspection time. Which is the very reason some people feel they have to save the OEM mufflers. But it was asked here how many people that saved the OEMs had ever put them back on again and most said no.

But if your state has noise abbatment laws, or specific laws against changing OEM parts, it it would pay to look into just what the standards are first. I don't think many after maket cat-back systems are going to fail though, unless they came with a "off road use only" sticker. Bolas and Corsas, AFAIK, dont fall into that catagory.

#3 ·
I know guys that have had Borla, Corsa and other systems for years with no Virginia State Inspection issues.

Official regs below:

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070

Section 300

Database updated through 20:24 Va.R. August 9, 2004

19VAC30-70-300. Muffler, exhaust system and trailer venting.

A. Flexible tubing may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

B. Inspection of exhaust system does not concern noise level.

C. INSPECT FOR AND REJECT IF:

1. There is any leakage of exhaust gases at any point in the system. Do not reject "built-in" drain holes in muffler or tailpipe.

2. A muffler or catalytic converter has been repaired in any manner. The exhaust pipe may be welded to the muffler or catalytic converter. Holes or cracks in the exhaust line have been repaired with a patch or caulking.

3. Tailpipe opening is mashed or pinched.

4. Brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

5. The exhaust system fails to discharge the exhaust to the rear or sides of that part of a property-carrying-vehicle which is designed for and normally used for the driver and passengers, and to the rear or sides of the passenger and trunk compartment of passenger vehicles.

D. Trailers And Semitrailer Venting

Inspection of trailers and semitrailers will include a visual inspection of the venting of cooking or heating appliances to the outside of the trailer or semitrailer to determine if the heating and cooking appliances are adequately vented to the outside to prevent the asphyxiation of occupants of any trailer or semitrailer by the operation of the heating or cooking appliances.

1. Reject the trailer or semitrailer if not equipped with a vent or venting system to the outside.

2. Reject the trailer or semitrailer if there is any complete or partial obstruction of the vent or venting system.

Statutory Authority

§§46.2-1047, 46.2-1049 and 46.2-1165 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR545-01-07 §30, eff. May 1, 1990; amended, Virginia Register Volume 10, Issue 8, eff. February 9, 1994.

Research and Practice References

13 Am. Jur. Proof of Facts 223, Defective Exhaust System.

#5 ·
mjeagent said:
Thanks, that is great information.

So, taking into account the above guidelines that Virginia has, which exhaust system do you guys recommend?
From what Siver Bear just posted, virginia has nothing to do with it, it's what you want. My reccomendation would be Corsa (touring) some one else will recommend something else (Borla seems to be popular but too loud for my tastes)

#8 ·
You will be fine with either Corsa or Borla...State inspectors are more looking for the rice crowd coffee can set ups and removed cats... BTW... GM only licensed the Corsa Touring and not the Corsa Sport due to noise...the Touring meets all 50 states 95 Db requirements whereas the Sport does not due it being rated at ~98 Db.
Michael

#9 ·
Thanks - bought the corsa sport exhaust system today - dual tips on each side (4).
Now I have to find a place to do the work - not sure if I want to trust/pay my local Chevy dealership to do the work - have heard some things.:drink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.