Rear Wheel Bearing Install (pics) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
flexusmark
DC Crew

Member #14430

My Corvette(s)
78 Silver Ann

Rear Wheel Bearing Install (pics)

This is my progress so far on replacing my rear wheel bearings. After taking everything apart I sandblasted and painted all of the parts. I inserted new cones in the bearing support with a bearing race driver.

I had a local machine shop make me a setup tool. It cost me $60 CAN cash. I then welded a piece of 1-1/2" tubing to the setup tool so I could hold the tool in a vice while tightening the nut to 100 ft.lbs. If anyone would like a drawing of the setup tool send me a PM.

I used my large vice to hold the bearing support and a dial indicator to check end play. I ordered new spacers and the thickest shim and had a machine shop grind the shim to size, giving me less than .003 play. The 2 pieces of wood allowed me to hold the support tight while I checked end play.

I greased and installed the outter seal and filled it with grease. Since I didn't have the proper size pipe around I used an old spacer and welded it to some small angel iron to be used as a press tool.

I used a 2 x 6 with holes drilled thru to suport the spindel during the outer bearing install. I used a marker and coloured the ends of the wheel studs then pressed the studs onto the wood to mark the locations to drill holes.

To make it possible to install the bearings without a press I heated them in my oven for 1/2 hr at 300 deg.

With the bearings hot it only took light taps from the hammer to drive the bearings home. I didn't require the size of hammer in the pictures but I wanted to make sure I drove the bearing home.

I will post pictures of the rest of the assembly of my trailing arms as I do them.

Mark.
flexusmark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Cameron 77c3
DC Crew

Member #22645

My Corvette(s)
77 C3

Great pics and talk through. Keep us posted. Well done squire
Cameron 77c3 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
norvalwilhel
Account Disabled.

Member #1141

My Corvette(s)
75 supercharged bigblock

Your doing a great job FLEXUSMARK. A few words of caution. Just taking a couple of bearings and using the setup tool for checking end play doesn't always work out to find the true end play.
Try this. Take two bearings, dry of course and use the tool to check end play. Now with the exact same setup with your hand grab one side , push to load the bearing and make 50 back and forth rocking motion while applying pressure to seat the bearing rollers. rock back and forth about 90 degrees. Check the end play again. Try it again pushing from the other side. Check play. See if it changes.
I have consistently seen an extra .004 clearance picked up by just rocking the bearing back and forth to properly seat the rollers. This rocking the 50 times is recommended by the bearing company. You will not find that in a book. A professional bearing installer taught me that after proving he could get an extra .004 out the a bearing and spacer combination I had just set at .001.
Also when final assembly and gease and seals are added the bearing assembly will appear seized or overly tight. This is normal, don't change the spacer and in a few miles it will loosen up.
Once again, Great Job.
norvalwilhel is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Norval
Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
calisto6
DC Crew

Member #120537

My Corvette(s)
1968 convertible 427/435

Any Updates

Mark, I know it's been a while, but how did your wheel bearing replacement job work out? I'm about to replace my rear bearings on my 68 and enjoyed your post/pictures.

Thanks

Joe
calisto6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Joe
while this thread is almost 8 years old and you could setup bearings like that I wouldn't advise it. The method of installing the seal on the spindle first requires you carefully install the seal as you press fit the spindle assembly. A press will be better to use then the heat but that will work.
Read over my thread on setting up rear bearings that will help you as well.
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.