Jump starting a C6 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
tasos
DC Crew

Member #26957

My Corvette(s)
Yellow C6 z51

Jump starting a C6

Just a thought, but can you push the C6 manual car and jump start it? Never tried it but I doubt it.
tasos is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Z06 Parrot
Account Disabled.

Member #15527

Re: Jump starting a C6

Quote:
Originally posted by tasos
Just a thought, but can you push the C6 manual car and jump start it? Never tried it but I doubt it.
I thought you can roll any manual vehicle, pop the clutch out, and the will start.

Am I right?

Z06 Parrot is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
crabman
DC Crew

Member #13965

I would think you would have to push the button to turn on the ignition and then dump the clutch but if you were totally out of power then that wouldnt work because it requires power to switch the ignition on. You cant just rotate the key. Talked about this one before and no one had done it or tried it. You cant test it with a car that has a working battery because you have to hit the start switch which kind of screws up your test. Id sure be interested to hear how things went if somebody has gave it a shot since the last time this came up.
crabman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2005 Silver/black, 1SB, six speed, nav, polished, clear top, 3.90s, Z51 sways, Corsa sports, 1 7/8 American racing headers, Halltech intake, Ace Slicks in hyperblack, 305/275 PS2s
Old 05-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
taco
DC Crew

Member #21938

Re: Jump starting a C6

Quote:
Originally posted by tasos
hey tasos, I'm taco. What up?
taco is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
shopdog
DC Crew

Member #21077

My Corvette(s)
C6

Re: Re: Jump starting a C6

Quote:
Originally posted by Z06 Parrot
I thought you can roll any manual vehicle, pop the clutch out, and the will start.

Am I right?

Maybe, if you can get it going fast enough for long enough for the computers to boot up, then you could push the start button and it might start.

The problem is, with a dead battery, the computers are down, and it won't run without the computers. They control spark and fuel. It takes several seconds for the computers to boot up from cold, so you'd need to get going fast enough that the alternator would power up the computers (after you pop the clutch to make the engine spin) and still be going fast enough that once you get the computers up, the engine would still be spinning fast enough to start when you push the button. It'd take a *really* long hill.
shopdog is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
Fenwick
Account Disabled.

Member #3286

ummm....

I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this one!
(Heyyyyy Stannnllleeeyyyy)
Fenwick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
It was one hell of a ride.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
ZL1GT
DC Crew

Member #13275

My Corvette(s)
Yellow 427

From my experience jump-starting (it takes a while, maybe 10 to 20 minutes, to bring up a totally dead battery enough to start), I don't think even a long push-start would work. The alternator output is controlled by the ECM, which is dead so it can't turn on the alternator. Also, be patient when jump-starting. Let the power build up for 20 minutes or so if its completely dead. If you try too soon and it just clicks rapidly, thats when you get the dreaded "service column lock" warning.
ZL1GT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 01:08 AM   #8
shopdog
DC Crew

Member #21077

My Corvette(s)
C6

Quote:
Originally posted by ZL1GT
From my experience jump-starting (it takes a while, maybe 10 to 20 minutes, to bring up a totally dead battery enough to start), I don't think even a long push-start would work. The alternator output is controlled by the ECM, which is dead so it can't turn on the alternator. Also, be patient when jump-starting. Let the power build up for 20 minutes or so if its completely dead. If you try too soon and it just clicks rapidly, thats when you get the dreaded "service column lock" warning.
I'd forgotten that the computer controls the regulator. That ends any chance of push starting because there's no way to bootstrap to a point where you can start.
shopdog is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #9
kamikazi
DC Crew

Member #13635

Man, I'd be worried about a transient voltage spike anyway. Even if you managed to get the car cranked, the 50% or so chance of frying something would keep me from trying.

Buy a portable battery jump start device or get roadside assistance. I wouldn't risk anything else.
kamikazi is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 05:51 AM   #10
stanleyp
DC Crew

Member #16851

My Corvette(s)
'08 Coupe, '05 Coupe (Sold),'65 coupe (Sold)

ohhhh jeeeeeezezzzzzzz...
Here we go again. I'm sitting this one out:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ght=jump+start
stanleyp is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson
Old 05-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
crabman
DC Crew

Member #13965

Wow, great link Stanley. I actually spit my coffee out towards the end.
crabman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2005 Silver/black, 1SB, six speed, nav, polished, clear top, 3.90s, Z51 sways, Corsa sports, 1 7/8 American racing headers, Halltech intake, Ace Slicks in hyperblack, 305/275 PS2s
Old 05-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
NAV
DC Crew

Member #32892

My Corvette(s)
C6 Silver/Ebony MN6 Z51 ISb SIRIUS Dual Roofs Alpine HU

OK, I'm going to get in this thread (and wish I had not)!
The question is/was if a 6 speed C6 CAN be started by putting the ignition to on and getting the car in motion and "popping the clutch" with the car in gear. The answer (at least to me given the following conditions) is yes.

If the reason the car will not start is because of a PARTIALLY discharged battery such that the interior lights burn but go out when the starter motor is engaged. The reason I say this is because I have started my Mustang several times under this condition and it is computer controlled-fuel injected but key start. The computers do not require much amperage to operate and are fairly tolerant of voltage (in a car) and it does not take much amperage to energize the alternator "field" and to fire the ignition and power the fuel injectors. If you measure the voltage of a fairly discharged battery (which is otherwise normal-no bad cells) the voltage is usually pretty close to 12 but if you put a large current draw, ie. starter motor, on it the votage drop is to almost zero. This explains why 8 D cells won't start a car, they have the voltage-but not the amps. Most car batteries drop to ~8-9 volts when starting the car so if you take the big current draw off the battery (and all it has to do is power the computers-fuel pump-and coils) by turning the engine over-it should start. I also would not worry about gas in the catalytic converters because the motor should really not be turning over any more under this condition than if the starter motor was turning it over. All you are doing is using the energy of the rolling car to turn over the motor instead of the starter motor.

Keep the faith,

Bill

Disclaimer: I have done my best in the above explanation using the knowledge I have. I am fallible and readily admit it and apologize in advance to anyone who is offended or thinks they maybe offended or in any way harmed by this post.
NAV is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally posted by NAV
The question is/was if a 6 speed C6 CAN be started by putting the ignition to on and getting the car in motion and "popping the clutch" with the car in gear. The answer (at least to me given the following conditions) is yes.

If the reason the car will not start is because of a PARTIALLY discharged battery such that the interior lights burn but go out when the starter motor is engaged. The reason I say this is because I have started my Mustang several times under this condition and it is computer controlled-fuel injected but key start. The computers do not require much amperage to operate and are fairly tolerant of voltage (in a car) and it does not take much amperage to energize the alternator "field" and to fire the ignition and power the fuel injectors. If you measure the voltage of a fairly discharged battery (which is otherwise normal-no bad cells) the voltage is usually pretty close to 12 but if you put a large current draw, ie. starter motor, on it the votage drop is to almost zero. This explains why 8 D cells won't start a car, they have the voltage-but not the amps. Most car batteries drop to ~8-9 volts when starting the car so if you take the big current draw off the battery (and all it has to do is power the computers-fuel pump-and coils) by turning the engine over-it should start. I also would not worry about gas in the catalytic converters because the motor should really not be turning over any more under this condition than if the starter motor was turning it over. All you are doing is using the energy of the rolling car to turn over the motor instead of the starter motor.

Keep the faith,

Bill

Disclaimer: I have done my best in the above explanation using the knowledge I have. I am fallible and readily admit it and apologize in advance to anyone who is offended or thinks they maybe offended or in any way harmed by this post.
Bill I agree with you to a point at which we would need one of the C6 trained mechanics to advise us ...

Over the years I've had to push start my manual, computer controlled '87 with the key in the "on" position many times without problems - even if the battery is almost completely drained. It requires very little juice to get the systems going. I have had limited rolling situations where the battery was VERY dead and I could not push start the car in a short distance.

Re the C6 - this might be a different animal. With no or limited juice to recognize the fob and "wake" the computer .... ????

Also, are we certain what roll the start button would play during the push start? Holding it down would further drain the battery and possibly eliminate the needed juice to recognize the fob???

Not holding it down the start button might not "wake" the computer??

Maven or C5spec would know.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #14
stanleyp
DC Crew

Member #16851

My Corvette(s)
'08 Coupe, '05 Coupe (Sold),'65 coupe (Sold)

stanleyp is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
ZL1GT
DC Crew

Member #13275

My Corvette(s)
Yellow 427

Quote:
Originally posted by NAV

Keep the faith,

Bill

I agree Nav, it just might push-start with a partially discharged battery. I would hit the start button without depressing the clutch so it just turns on the ignition, no starter. But with a dead battery, forget it. There's the electric column lock to consider. You need to be sure you can steer when push-starting.
ZL1GT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.