Oil Leaks - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-07-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
topdog96
DC Crew

Member #46748

My Corvette(s)
1996 LT1 Conv.

Smile Oil Leaks

I have a C4 LT1 convertible with 20,000 miles. It has an oil leak that leaves a couple of spots on the garage floor when sitting over night. I understand that this is common for LT1 engines. Does anyine know where the leak starts. Top of engine is clean around intake and valve covers.. P.S. this car is only driven from June to September and then stored
topdog96 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

That would be like guessing how many leaves on a tree. There are too many place to guesss effectively. Front, Back, left , right. top, bottom.front bottom, front bottom right, front bottom left, etc. Clean it completely and just start watching
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
mrnuke
DC Crew

Member #554

My Corvette(s)
1992 Triple White LT1

A buddy of mine who's a GM mechanic told me when I asked about the same thing (although mine doesn't leave any drips, just oil coating on the underside of the engine.), he said somehow the LT1s leak all over the place as they are all running Syntech fro mfactory, which finds the holes easily.

Until you notice you are down on oil before an oil change is due (at 3k miles), and do NOT race the car (extended revs on the LT1s pushes oil past the rings, which is 'acceptable) you don't have to worry.
mrnuke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Stock '92 Triple White rare beauty.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
6StringFling
DC Crew

Member #43584

My Corvette(s)
1995 torch red Coupe

Cool

Yep, my 95 with 89,000 miles on it leaks as well, I'm thinking its the rear manifold area, (hard to see a thing without a lift), whats really impressive is to be sitting still at a light etc and seeing the smoke rise from under the hood!! but after the initital warmup it burns off and dissipates....I called a Corvette shop and they said $350 to fix the leak, if in fact its the rear corner of the intake thats leaking.....I also appreciate the guy that sold it to me mentioning it leaked.....NOT!
6StringFling is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
6StringFling
1995 stock torch red coupe
Old 06-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
1996c4
DC Crew

Member #47046

I have a 1996 LT4 that leaked oil from the intake manifold for the first few years. The leaks were VERY hard to find because so little oil came out, but, eventually, the leaks would find their way down and end up, just as in your case, as a few drops on the garage floor a day or two later. I had two leaks, one in the front, near the passenger side head, and one in the back. The leaks were found only after cleaning all oil from the engine and looking, with a flashlight, in the suspect areas several times after it was run. I figured this had to be the problem after I read a Chevy service bulletin (77-61-17) in the back of the C4 Corvette Specs book by Mike Antonick. The leak was said to be at the "china wall" between the intake manifold and block.
I had a mechanic pull the manifold and use the RTV bonding recommended in the bulletin, but it still leaked. He then recommended we use a different type of black sealant he liked, we did, and ever since it has not leaked a SINGLE drop.
Check this out, I bet its your problem. Good luck. Patrick, 1996c4
1996c4 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
The Bad
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #175

My Corvette(s)
*sold*75 Wht/Tan Cp*sold*94 Wht/Rd Cp Current: 02 EB/BLK Z06

The 94 I used to have started leaking at the frt/rear manifold, sealed that up.
2 weeks later, rear main, sealed that up.
2 weeks later, timing chain cover and oil pan, sealed that up.
1 week later, timming chain cover again, sealed that up.
About a month later, it was time for the trans to start.
The box that the speedo cable goes into, torq converter, and the rear seal were all leaking.
Mind you, the car didn't start leaking untill about a month after I started driving it daily. I thought I found a nice, low mileage vette, but apparently lack of use dried up all the seals. The vette had 66k mi. in 02 when I bought it, thats 8250mi a year.
The Bad is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 Electron Blue Z06: Custom made partition, new stereo system, 5% tint, twin cone air intake system, shorty antenna, Exide Orbital battery, and chrome rims. -Brandon-

My Corvette story
Old 06-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
storages
DC Crew

Member #41972

My Corvette(s)
1984, C4, white with red interior, all stock, all original, crossfire engine, just turned 50K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog96
I have a C4 LT1 convertible with 20,000 miles. It has an oil leak that leaves a couple of spots on the garage floor when sitting over night. I understand that this is common for LT1 engines. Does anyine know where the leak starts. Top of engine is clean around intake and valve covers.. P.S. this car is only driven from June to September and then stored
My '84 leaks a few drops a week from the oil pan gasket seal. It's been doing this for years now. It hasn't gotten any worse or any better. It just seems to remain the same. As much as I like everything to be perfect, I live with it because I figure that with my luck, if I try to fix it, I may make it worse. Since mine is such a small leak like yours, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it.
storages is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.