Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

[SPY PHOTOS] --> Corvette Z06 'SS' supercharged test mule "exhaust note is unholy..."

166K views 256 replies 154 participants last post by  ycrs2 
#1 ·
[SPY PHOTOS] --> Corvette Z06 'SS' supercharged test mule "exhaust note is unholy..."

It's been a long time since we could dig into the bank account to score some mighty cool Corvette spy photos for you guys. So, we'll take bragging rights and yell loudly, "seen here first on DigitalCorvettes.com!".

We'll call them "round-1" because you know we'll chase this pup all the way to production.

DC TALKS WITH CHRIS DOANE, PHOTOGRAPHER:

How'd you manage to snap the photos and what the hell is that thing?

"These pics almost didn't happen. I'd been seeing one or two regular C6 Vettes with MFT plates around lately, so when I saw a black one coming towards me on the other side of the highway, I didn't think much of it. Then I saw the side vents in front of the rear tires and thought "oh just a Z06." Then I saw the huge bulge in the hood and almost crashed my car. Well...not really but I was overcome with the sudden urge to jump the median.

After legally turning around, I started after the test car only to find out the obvious. This thing is fast. Im not sure if/when the engineer driving the car realized I was following him, or if he was just enjoying all the power at his disposal (who could blame him), but it took 15-20 mins to get ahead of him and get into a position to photograph the car.

Now this may sound a little odd, but the thing I remember most when the car was passing my shooting position was a big sucking sound. As in, the motor's supercharger sucking in huge amounts of air. The engineer did put the hammer down when he saw me, but I wouldn't say he was at WOT. Needless to say the exhaust note is unholy."

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm not overly impressed by it...besides, once you add the "market adjustment" to the proposed $100,000 sticker, you're looking at somewhere in the $130,000 range. Which, if GM continues to use the cheap plastic interior and non supportive crappy seats, it's a total ripoff. You can get a C6 to 650 HP and have a ton of money left over. Hardly a working man's car.

#7 ·
poncherello said:
I'm not overly impressed by it...besides, once you add the "market adjustment" to the proposed $100,000 sticker, you're looking at somewhere in the $130,000 range. Which, if GM continues to use the cheap plastic interior and non supportive crappy seats, it's a total ripoff. You can get a C6 to 650 HP and have a ton of money left over. Hardly a working man's car.
I agree. 130k = :down:

#172 ·
Yeah if that is GM's new marketing campaign than they can count me out, I'll look for a Skyline then.

The Corvette made it's name by being an affordable wayupthere b#d#ss car, not by being a snotty car that only a CEO, lawyer, or investment banker can afford.

If they want an exotic make an exotic, don't sit there and add goodies and packages that make a normal Corvette look like a POS so that everyone who sees it goes "Oh, its just a regular Corvette."

I got that plenty of times with my 2001 convertible, "Oh, I like the Z06 model..."

Bad GM bad :spanked: your the only semi-American company I shop for cars at, don't make me go Nissan or BMW:huh: .

#11 ·
Look's like a Z06 to me, but with a bulge in the hood. On the other hand GM could be just testing out certain things for the new SS/Stingray/Blue Devil or whatever you want to call it like the engine/drivetrain or other component's but just in a C6 Z06 shell. GREAT PICTURES AND INFORMATION!!! :partyon:

#12 ·
Great scoop Patrick!! That's freakin awesome. Can't wait to see what the body will look like. Well, I guess that means it's a roots blower (assuming that's not a decoy). If so, that has implications for the engine: can't go too high with compression, etc. Thanks again Pat!!!!! You rock!!

I'm amazed it only took 5 posts for Ponch to blast it. He must stare at the board waiting for any news of an expensive Vette so he can take shots at it (kidding Ponch, I just find it hilarious, don't arrest me).

#15 ·
kamikazi said:
It's just a mule. The important thing is the drivetrain.
Correct, but something is going on with the suspension as well. A Z06 doesn't almost hit the rockers on the ground when applying the brakes. Nor does it lift the wheels so much.

Either the front shocks are missing, or something is up with that suspension. Or, it's a different chassis... but there are more to these pics...

#16 ·
Patrick said:
Correct, but something is going on with the suspension as well. A Z06 doesn't almost hit the rockers on the ground when applying the brakes. Nor does it lift the wheels so much.

Either the front shocks are missing, or something is up with that suspension. Or, it's a different chassis... but there are more to these pics...
Well, a 'charger will add some weight. If the suspension is soft, it could dive pretty hard with an extra couple hundred pounds in the nose (blower, sensors, extra ducts, etc). As it's a mule, there's no telling what they had to strip outta there to fit all the gear in.

#17 · (Edited)
Dan92 said:
Look's like a Z06 to me, but with a bulge in the hood. On the other hand GM could be just testing out certain things for the new SS/Stingray/Blue Devil or whatever you want to call it like the engine/drivetrain or other component's but just in a C6 Z06 shell. GREAT PICTURES AND INFORMATION!!! :partyon:
I agree. That is most likely exactly what they are doing. They did it with the C5's and C6's. Besides that hood is fugly.

#198 ·
The plugs in the back are where the parachutes shoot out to slow you down and the white circle in the front is an altimeter sensor so you know how far off the ground the front lifts up on take off. :smack :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Awesome! I cant wait for this thing to come out :partyon:

#26 ·
This isn't necessarily the SS or whatever, could just be testing the LS9. Isn't it supposed to replace the LS7 or something like that? I just know that they have to somehow keep the Z06. It’d be dumb to have the regular corvette at 45 to 60 and SS at 100 and nothing in between at about 75 or 80. Don’t you think.

Also, I have wanted a Z06 for years, but wouldn’t be able to pay for a 100k SS, so, It might also be wishful thinking on my part, hoping they keep the Z06 package. You know, like the Camaro. Base, Z28, and SS. But just on a different scale. You think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.