Oil Filter Change Frequency - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
XC5VETTE
DC Crew

Member #26176

Oil Filter Change Frequency

I'm told synthetic oil doesn't really wear or break down as quickly or to the extent organic oils do. However, I understand it does get just as dirty as any oil will.

So, while I beleive the synthetics are far superior to organic oils....and I think it's a waste to change more frequently than needed....I'm old enough to have that old 3K oil & filter chnage burned into my brain and want to be more conservative and change more frequently than recommended.

So here's what I'm thinking...let me know what you think. Barring any extenuating circumstances (track use, extremely dusty conditions etc.) I'm going to change the oil as recommended by the Oil Index Indicator....but change the filter only in between (oil changes) or at 50% oil life. That way, I'm fully using and not wasting the full capability of the oil....in accordance with the manufacturer...with just a touch of conservatism. The filter change will remove all contaminants at the half way point thus reducing/minimizing engine wear.

Well, what do you think....pro or con.....
XC5VETTE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
jjmalone2001
DC Crew

Member #21285

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z06, slilver/black 2LZ

The oil filters holds close to a pint. I like to change all of the oil possible when changing, donít see much point in staggering oil and filter changes.
JJ
jjmalone2001 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07 C6 Z06, silver/black 2LZ
KTM 950 Adventure
BMW R1150GS Adventure
ZRX1200R
XR650R
Old 12-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
XC5VETTE
DC Crew

Member #26176

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmalone2001 View Post
The oil filters holds close to a pint. I like to change all of the oil possible when changing, donít see much point in staggering oil and filter changes.
JJ
Perhaps some clairification....I didn't mean stagger so much as increase the filter change interval. Change just the filter at 50%....then all oil AND filter at 0%.

Does that make more sense to you...?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
extanker
DC Crew

Member #52932

My Corvette(s)
01 coup

my opine its a little over kill but ya sure wont hurt anything
extanker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
klasik69
DC Crew

Member #36118

My Corvette(s)
69 Big Block, 05 Coupe Z51 6 spd loaded (just traded), 07 C6 Monterey red Vert, Victory Red 07 Z06

You can go overboard but you will always find that the oil and filter are much cheaper than repairs. OK, its under warranty, so no sweat, why worry if the engine craps out ? Well, do you remember the tech who works at the dealership.....do you want him taking your motor apart ?

Last year I took my 05 in for a clutch problem. Got the car back and after one day in the garage found a puddle of oil coming out of the rear end. Car had been in for 8 days and was returned filthy. I washed the car before taking it back. 9 days later, I get the car back again so they (Jim Rathmann Chevrolet) can tell me it was an itty bitty little seal that was bad. They had parked the car under a tree so every friggin sea gull in Florida could come over to perch and shit on the car. I get it back and ask them why the car is covered with bird shit, and the service writer looks back at it and says "do you want us to wash it tomorrow ?" Nope, I wasn't bringing it back or leaving it. So, can you change oil too often ? I don't think so. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
klasik69 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
car nut

1967 2 DR POST COUPE GTO
2007 CHEVY TAHOE LTZ
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
motorman
DC Crew

Member #1222

My Corvette(s)
2008 crystal red metallic coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC5VETTE View Post
I'm told synthetic oil doesn't really wear or break down as quickly or to the extent organic oils do. However, I understand it does get just as dirty as any oil will.

So, while I beleive the synthetics are far superior to organic oils....and I think it's a waste to change more frequently than needed....I'm old enough to have that old 3K oil & filter chnage burned into my brain and want to be more conservative and change more frequently than recommended.

So here's what I'm thinking...let me know what you think. Barring any extenuating circumstances (track use, extremely dusty conditions etc.) I'm going to change the oil as recommended by the Oil Index Indicator....but change the filter only in between (oil changes) or at 50% oil life. That way, I'm fully using and not wasting the full capability of the oil....in accordance with the manufacturer...with just a touch of conservatism. The filter change will remove all contaminants at the half way point thus reducing/minimizing engine wear.

Well, what do you think....pro or con.....
i change my mobil1 once a year and change the filter every 4000 miles. sometimes i get 16,000 miles on the oil change. this is on my silverado with 130,000+ miles and the engine is quieter than my 2005 corvette engine
motorman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
corvette owner since 1959,retired race engine builder,former NASCAR tech inspector,new corvettes owned,59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99,02 and 05. 2008 sold waiting for the C-7
Old 12-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
MrZippy
DC Crew

Member #5971

My Corvette(s)
2010 Blade Silver ZR1

Best bet is to follow owner's manual instructions...after all it's written by the company that produced your car.

I recall Dave Hill saying "use your onboard oil percentage indicator for oil change requirements," or words similar.
MrZippy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Zippy 2010 Blade Silver ZR1
Nashville Corvette Club
NCM Master Ambassador & Lifetime Member
Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
XC5VETTE
DC Crew

Member #26176

Thanks

You guys are great.....I was expecting a very different response. I've read threads where people are changing at the first 500 miles, etc., etc..and it goes from there. You all seem much more practical if not pragmatic.

Thanks for all the feed back! I know what I'm gonna do!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
klasik69
DC Crew

Member #36118

My Corvette(s)
69 Big Block, 05 Coupe Z51 6 spd loaded (just traded), 07 C6 Monterey red Vert, Victory Red 07 Z06

A little off the main theme here, but I've got a question on how to drain the oil from the Z. I was told at NCM where I picked up the car that you drain the oil from the two plugs on the pan of the engine. Does that drain the dry sump reservoir completely or is it necessary to drain the oil reservoir as well ?

I was going to ask the guy who had problems pulling his oil filter off due to GM torquing the crap out of it during mounting, but he was so pissed he put a curse on that worker's family.

Also, old school says drain the oil at around 1500 miles on a new engine. I've always done that but has that proven to be beneficial, especially with synthetic oil ?
klasik69 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
car nut

1967 2 DR POST COUPE GTO
2007 CHEVY TAHOE LTZ
Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #10
fontabg
DC Crew

Member #33903

My Corvette(s)
07 Coupe

My thoughts.

If saving the money by extending your oil changes beyone your normal interval then this will accomplish that.

Personally though my time is more valuable than the savings of extended oil changes and if you are the same then the process of getting to the oil filter to replace it you have already invested about 70% of the time it would take you to do a complete drain and fill.
fontabg is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Regards,

Brian

07 Coupe
Monterrey Red
MN6,Z51,CAGS Bypass, Corsa Sport
Car Care by Adam's
Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
painrace
DC Crew

Member #20504

My Corvette(s)
07 Katech C6Z, 2003 Anniversary

You are wasting your time. As the filter collects particles it does a better job of filtering. Follow what GM recommends and you will be fine.
painrace is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Painrace
Old 12-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
motorman
DC Crew

Member #1222

My Corvette(s)
2008 crystal red metallic coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by painrace View Post
You are wasting your time. As the filter collects particles it does a better job of filtering. Follow what GM recommends and you will be fine.
if your engine still has a oil filter bypass valve as the filer area become less and less open more dirty oil goes thru the bearings till the pressure on both side of the valve equalizes. the dirtier the filter the longer this takes

Last edited by motorman; 12-28-2006 at 02:08 PM.
motorman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
corvette owner since 1959,retired race engine builder,former NASCAR tech inspector,new corvettes owned,59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99,02 and 05. 2008 sold waiting for the C-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.