Door Lock, Alarm system, wire thing - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
bmadams
DC Crew

Member #55375

My Corvette(s)
1978 L-82

Door Lock, Alarm system, wire thing

Greetings again,
1978 vette (my sons...hehehe)
OK, driver door would not open from outside, took the panel off. Found ssome tiny places to work and many sharp edges.

I took passenger door panel off to see how one looks that works.

-The door handle rod thingy crap, i think I got this figured out, not to sure about the bow in the rod, how it fits around the lock pawl, but will try all ways until I run out of blood. Could use a good pic of this all assembled
DRIVER DOOR:
-The tumbler, it has been riped from the door at some time in its past. It was just RYVed in place. One of the tabs that the clip holds to is busted off so i need to order another tumbler/lock. Help me get the right one...

Mine has 2 wires on the end of the tumbler. I am guessing these are for the alarm system? The plate that holds the tumbler to the door has a switch block on it with 2 wires. I am guessing this activates the alarm if someone pops the lock out?
I do not have power door locks.

The parts catalogs do not mention the alarm system when picking a tumbler, they just mention with or without power locks (69-80)

Will my alarm work with these tumblers/locks?
Will Richards mom ever let him drive the vette?
Will she ever stop driving it?

THANKS!! AGAIN!!

Brian and Richard
bmadams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
indy99
DC Crew

Member #40209

My Corvette(s)
1980 l-48

Here is some info for you. Buy a AIM book. This is the assembly manual that shows every part on you're car. You can get this from most vendors. Mid-America, Corvette Central, Wilcox, and others.

The 2 wire thingy is a sensor for the alarm but it fits on a rod in the door. Check the book. Get catalogs from vendors they will help you identify parts and give prices too.

For wiring parts I use Lectric Unlimited. For a lot of other parts I use Wilcox Corvette. They have great prices. You can also get a laminated wiring diagram which will help a lot if someone else has tried to do some infamous Bubba repairs.

Good luck. I knows how it goes. I am trying to finish a frame off on my 80 and I have lost a lot of hair and some skin too.
indy99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Johnny B
DC Crew

Member #69542

My Corvette(s)
1978,2003 50th anniversary

that switch plate does hold the lock in place, in your 78, is there a white plastic piece on the end of your lock cylinder with a cable attached if so that is how you turn on and off your alarm and no you need the correct cylinder because the center piece that sticks out of the cylinder is where the lock pawl also attaches its ok on the passenger door but definetly not the drivers door if you have that kind of alarm switch. i have never seen that switch on the rod like mentioned. also there is a rod that runs up and down off the latch assembly with a clip on top if you remove that clip that rod will fall out of the wat and you can get your tiny hand in there without to much trouble. hope this helps. I JUST FINISHED MY 78 did the same thing. with a lot of help from the guys in here Thank God. Johnny B
Johnny B is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
bmadams
DC Crew

Member #55375

My Corvette(s)
1978 L-82

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
that switch plate does hold the lock in place, in your 78, is there a white plastic piece on the end of your lock cylinder with a cable attached if so that is how you turn on and off your alarm and no you need the correct cylinder because the center piece that sticks out of the cylinder is where the lock pawl also attaches its ok on the passenger door but definetly not the drivers door if you have that kind of alarm switch. i have never seen that switch on the rod like mentioned. also there is a rod that runs up and down off the latch assembly with a clip on top if you remove that clip that rod will fall out of the wat and you can get your tiny hand in there without to much trouble. hope this helps. I JUST FINISHED MY 78 did the same thing. with a lot of help from the guys in here Thank God. Johnny B
Johnny B,
THANKS!!!

I have not worked on the system for awhile but do need to get back to it. Glad to here you were able to get the "stock" alarm system working. I hope to do the same. I also need help with some wiring and vacuum lines under the hood. Do you have a pretty much stock 78 under the hood. It would help if I could send some pics to someone that has a stock system and could compare/advise me on a couple of things.

Also, My carburetor does not hold fuel (bowl?) for very long. After a week or so, when I pump the pedal it does not spray gas in the carb. I have to crank the car a bunch to reprime the fuel system. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Johnny B
DC Crew

Member #69542

My Corvette(s)

no problem thats what we are all here for to help each other out , send me anything you need to I just finished my headlight just before the alarm so thats fresh in my mind as well. as far as you carb. is the bowl tightened (top half of carb) and check all fuel lines as to their tightness a leak could cause gas to back up until the fuel pump can pump it full again, how do you know the bowl is empty have you split the carb and checked. might be a good idea to do that and clean out the bowl of any crude accumulating in there. Good luck talk soon. Johnny B
Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
bmadams
DC Crew

Member #55375

My Corvette(s)
1978 L-82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
no problem thats what we are all here for to help each other out , send me anything you need to I just finished my headlight just before the alarm so thats fresh in my mind as well. as far as you carb. is the bowl tightened (top half of carb) and check all fuel lines as to their tightness a leak could cause gas to back up until the fuel pump can pump it full again, how do you know the bowl is empty have you split the carb and checked. might be a good idea to do that and clean out the bowl of any crude accumulating in there. Good luck talk soon. Johnny B
Thanks,
I am assuming that "the bowl is empty" because pumping the gas pedal does not spray fuel in the carb. I can remove the air cleaner to observe this. Leaking fuel lines should not allow the bowl to back drain. Me thinketh...

Can I split the carb and check the bowl without removing the carb from the car?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Johnny B
DC Crew

Member #69542

My Corvette(s)

what kind of carb factory carb i dont think so. Holly and edelbrock (carter) yes. a cracked hose will cause fuel to fail to maintain fullness in bowl. and a bad gasket could cause the fuel to leak past and empty bowl as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.