A/C Vents - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
jotape650
DC Crew

Member #59230

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Corvette

A/C Vents

hey guys i just got a 77 Vette. and i the air from the A/C only comes out through the bottom vents when it is cooling. I know it is a vacuum ordeal but has anybody experienced this so they can lead me in a faster direction! Thanks dudes
jotape650 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
BBShark
DC Crew

Member #4992

There is a vacuum actuator for the air door that directs the air to the upper vents. This is a vacuum/electric diagram of a 68 HVAC setup. Your should be very similar. Sounds like a disconnected vacuum line to me (or a bad actuator). You might have to prit this to really see.

BBShark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
jotape650
DC Crew

Member #59230

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Corvette

Thnks alot!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
ironrat
DC Crew

Member #55856

My Corvette(s)
1968 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
There is a vacuum actuator for the air door that directs the air to the upper vents. This is a vacuum/electric diagram of a 68 HVAC setup. Your should be very similar. Sounds like a disconnected vacuum line to me (or a bad actuator). You might have to prit this to really see.

Hi there, I have a similar problem on a 68 coupe if I can ask a quistion here about it? In hooking up the vac. line and looking at this diagram, it shows a actuator in the plunum, yea cool where is that? I took the heater box out and nothing and see nothing in where the cooling air comes in. I see the one actuator in the kick pannel only, is the another one I don't see on my car? And it is a 68 coupe with air. Thanks so much if you can help. Manuel
ironrat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
BBShark
DC Crew

Member #4992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrat View Post
Hi there, I have a similar problem on a 68 coupe if I can ask a quistion here about it? In hooking up the vac. line and looking at this diagram, it shows a actuator in the plunum, yea cool where is that? I took the heater box out and nothing and see nothing in where the cooling air comes in. I see the one actuator in the kick pannel only, is the another one I don't see on my car? And it is a 68 coupe with air. Thanks so much if you can help. Manuel
Manuel, The actuator that is in the plenum is not visible unless the front clip is removed. You may see a vacuum line going down to it from the wiper well. This actuator switches between closed cabin mode (air from inside the car is re-cooled) and fresh air mode where outside air is cooled. The actuator in the kick panel works in conjunction with the plenum actuator. They are both connected into the same line with a T connector. The kick vent is normally closed (by a spring) and the plenum actuator is normally open.

It seems like a complicated system but it all makes sense when you take a look at it.
BBShark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
ironrat
DC Crew

Member #55856

My Corvette(s)
1968 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Manuel, The actuator that is in the plenum is not visible unless the front clip is removed. You may see a vacuum line going down to it from the wiper well. This actuator switches between closed cabin mode (air from inside the car is re-cooled) and fresh air mode where outside air is cooled. The actuator in the kick panel works in conjunction with the plenum actuator. They are both connected into the same line with a T connector. The kick vent is normally closed (by a spring) and the plenum actuator is normally open.

It seems like a complicated system but it all makes sense when you take a look at it.

Thank you for the info! The hose is off on my car as it is just going back together after a frame off. But I didn't have the front clip off the body and I don't remeber this hose being attached anywhere. I wanted to be sure I had all the mechincal done before finishing my body work. Is there a way to get to this actuator that you know of without taking the fenders off? Again thanks for the help!! Manuel
ironrat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
mrvette
Account Disabled.

Member #59755

My Corvette(s)
'72 hotrod custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrat View Post
Thank you for the info! The hose is off on my car as it is just going back together after a frame off. But I didn't have the front clip off the body and I don't remeber this hose being attached anywhere. I wanted to be sure I had all the mechincal done before finishing my body work. Is there a way to get to this actuator that you know of without taking the fenders off? Again thanks for the help!! Manuel
YES, you can look down in there with a flashlight, and you will see 2-3 5/16 hex bolts on a small metal bracket, that door is removeable, , actuator and all...hard to get to....sometimes the rubber sealer material gets awful tired and cracks/falls off....I had the actuator fail some years ago on my '72 here where I had to pull the entire door mechanism to get to it.....I just sealed it all off permanently, and pulled the inner door off, eliminating the vac line....permanent recirc for my car....being as it's a convertible....I got plenty of fresh air.....
mrvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

GENE

IT is not the SIZE of the problem, but the perfection of the solution......

Airheads are immune to logic and common sense.

www.mrvette.shutterfly.com
Old 05-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Elduderino
A brown turd no more!

Member #48449

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82

So when the AC is on MAX, the kick panel door should be open and the plenum door should be closed?

Im getting good air flow out of the side vents, but my upper vents dont have that much flow. They work, there is just not as much air coming through them as the side vents. I have confirmed the kick panel door is open, as it seemd to want to close when I switch to norm, but there doesnt seem to be any change in the amount of air in the center vents when I go from norm to Max,

any ideas?
Elduderino is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
SLVRSHRK
DC Crew

Member #60404

My Corvette(s)
1978 L-82 4sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotape650 View Post
hey guys i just got a 77 Vette. and i the air from the A/C only comes out through the bottom vents when it is cooling. I know it is a vacuum ordeal but has anybody experienced this so they can lead me in a faster direction! Thanks dudes
Good possibility you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the main feed or early on in the system. When there is no vacuum, the system defaults to the heat position (figures with a car designed in Detroit).

Pull the main feed line under the hood (black nylon line that connects to other rubber vacuum lines on engine side of the firewall) and see if you can hook a hand held vacuum pump to the line and apply a vacuum. If it holds the vacuum on the gauge when you let it sit, the leak is not in the system, rather in the vacuum source.

From there, follow the diagram someone posted and pump, read and repeat until you find the culprit.
SLVRSHRK is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
jotape650
DC Crew

Member #59230

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Corvette

so this is off topic, somewhat but w.e... my A/C fan only blows air in all the settings except HI. is the switch shot?
1992 Bone Stock LT1 Corvette!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

Quote:
so this is off topic, somewhat but w.e... my A/C fan only blows air in all the settings except HI. is the switch shot?
Probably not. There's a special in-line high current fuse for the high speed setting on the fan. If I recall correctly, it's a 30A fuse. It's either located on the heater core box or on the firewall (its been a couple of decades since I had to replace one, so forgive the lack of detail!).

Steven
OldVetteFan is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
jotape650
DC Crew

Member #59230

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Corvette

so this is located somewhere on the passenger side? it isnt going to be on the normal fuse box? thanks alot!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
jotape650
DC Crew

Member #59230

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Corvette

location any1?????????????
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
big2bird
DC Crew

Member #58543

My Corvette(s)
1981 T-Top Caprice powered Disco Buggy

Quote:
location any1?????????????
On a 79 it would be a fusable link between the starter and the high speed blower relay.
big2bird is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
jotape650
DC Crew

Member #59230

My Corvette(s)
1992 LT1 Corvette

well it is extremely similar to the AC relay on the firewall but i found it under the center console underneaththe shifter. some1 had unplugged it and never replaced it!1! thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.