How to install rear bumper on 74 ?? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Porch40
DC Crew

Member #60637

My Corvette(s)

How to install rear bumper on 74 ??

Been putting off installing the Tru-Flex rear bumper I got for my 74 by restoring the interior. I hoped during that process I'd come up with the magical solution of how to get the bumper on with such limited access to the studs. Well ... interior is all done, bumper is still on the shelf, & I still haven't figured out how to get around the light mounting brackets to install the nuts. Actually, still pretty perplexed on how to get to any of the studs other than the ones on the qaurter panels.

Could someone out there with experience give me some pointers ? I'd appreciate ANY help/thoughts/moral support you all can provide!

Thanks!!
Porch40 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
TwinTurbo
DC Crew

Member #152

My Corvette(s)
1982 Twin Turbo 6 speed Coupe

remove the tank, makes working under there so much easier.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
...get out of the way old hag, you're messing up my cornering
Old 05-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
dcress1127
DC Crew

Member #36164

My Corvette(s)
07 VR Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
remove the tank, makes working under there so much easier.
I agree. Besides, if you haven't had the tank off, this is an excellent time to inspect it carefully, check the build sheet and you might want to replace the straps and have the tank boiled out and coated to save you problems in the future. Make sure all your threads are clean and lubricated as well. Using two people to put the facia in place will make it easier and then you can slide under and start a couple nuts to hold it in place. I had to ream a few holes slightly and put on all the nuts then checked allignment and began tightening in a rotation similar to putting on a wheel, so it would not draw down crooked. Be patient, say a prayer, and take a Bud break somewhere in between. Oh yeah, don't wait for 90 degree weather to do this as I mistakenly did on my first one.
dcress1127 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
dcress
Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Porch40
DC Crew

Member #60637

My Corvette(s)

Thanks guys,

with the tank removed is there an easy way to get to those studs that are behind the light brackets and along the top horizontal portion portion ? I can't figure out how to even get to those nuts to loosen the current brackets. The bumper disintigrated so I broke the remaining pieces off and got the the upper horizontal portioned nuts that way but those behind the light brackets are still on. I figure I'll have to remove the lights and housings themselves but even with those out of the way, I can't picture how I'll reach any of the studs once the bumper has been lifted into place.

Thanks again!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
dcress1127
DC Crew

Member #36164

My Corvette(s)
07 VR Conv

No real easy way. Spray liberally with WD40. I used a 1/4 drive and thin wall socket and made my own extension that would allow me to work far enough back away from it to have room for my hands. On the sides you can use a swivel and on that I used a little lock tite so the swivel did not rotate while I was trying to get it on the nut. I also used a small AA flashlight with a magnet taped to it. The regular D cell magnetic light was in my way. Patience and the BUD break (or Miller or choice) proved to be the best tools. I think I said it was easier the second time so maybe just ditch this project and start on the second one
dcress1127 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
dcress
Old 05-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Porch40
DC Crew

Member #60637

My Corvette(s)

Thanks for the help guys! Now I have to figure out how to get the tank off. I have a brand new stainless exhaust system under there. I needed to remove it anyway to replace the spring so now I have another reason .. i kind of went about the process backwards. Should have done the spring, bumper, etc. and saved the exhaust for last. Whoooole lot of swearing when I couldn't lower the exhaust far enough for spring removal. So I bolted the old one back in place with the thoughts of spring removal/replacement at the muffler shop since they kind of owed me one. Now ... looks like a Sawsall treatment in the garage then some sort of temporary patch job till I can get it back to the muffller shop. Dangit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.