Best & Worst tires for C6 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
06 Monterey
DC Crew

Member #61155

Question Best & Worst tires for C6

OK, I asked if the run flat tires were mandatory for the C6 and the answer appears to be no.

I would like to ask for people's opinions about the best and worst tires for a C6. To make things simpler, I'd qualify the question and define the intended use. Please explain why you liked or disliked the tires you rate.

The application would be for a stock C6 used mostly as a daily driver with occasional pleasure drives in the twisties. I'd say that ride quality, noise and handling have the same weight in the poll. Durability is also important. My driving takes place in the Southeast, mainly the streets of Atlanta and the occasional drive in the North Georgia / North Carolina mountains.

Thanks in advance
06 Monterey is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
ChemDawg99
DC Crew

Member #59115

My Corvette(s)
2009 Z51 Coupe

I don't drive a C6, but your question seemed very intriguing to me so I thought I would take a shot at it
Off and on, (when I have the spare time over here) I have been researching the best tire to put on my 2004 C5 (mine is pretty much going to be a daily driver, and I don't drag or street race at all) I have come to two conclusions:

1. It would be better to stick with run-flats (I understand the C6 run-flat has a softer rubber compound than the C5 and the car has better rear insulation for less road noise and ride comfort) My reasoning being the fact that tire failures, although rare, do happen and you can lose a quarter panel if the tire disintegrates at highway speeds on a Vette (C5 or C6)

and

2. If you change the wheels as well as the tires, get wheels that accomodate the TPM sensors.

This is just one man's opinion on the subject. I realize there are many who don't think much of the run flats (C5 or C6 variety) I am clearly in the minority on this. If you are an agressive driver, do competitive driving, or street race, or just want the softest ride possible, then the way to go is with a non-run flat like the GY GS-D3s. There are a number of run flats that deliver a softer/sticker ride than the OEMs (tirerack.com) so you can look there as well, Michelin Pilot P/Z and Kumho Ecsta MX EMT seem to be highest rated run flats I have seen. I don't know if my response will be helpful or not but I just think it is better to have run flats if you are not looking to do more than just daily driving and occasional fun. Good luck with your decision
ChemDawg99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
-Mr. Spock
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
06 Monterey
DC Crew

Member #61155

Thanks for your post. It's interesting how little response my question generated. I come from the Import Car camp. My last Detroit vehicle was a 1970's Chevy pick up truck. Way back in the dawn of time, I drove almost exclusively Detroit iron, back then I was young and did not have the car bug mainly because I had no financial resources. My biggest concern was the price of the tires. I remember that I could only afford retreads back then

Anyway, since I got into the car enthusiast category, I've been driving Japanese or Euro high performance cars. For those, the tire choices are plentiful and I have a pretty good idea of what to use. However, the C6 is quite a different car from my previous cars. It has a huge engine with lots of torque, it's a rear wheel drive car and its is longer, the tires are much larger, etc. I would think that the Corvette owners would have a lot of experience and strong opinions about tires. It's surprising to see how uninterested they seem to be about things that other car enthusiasts are quite involved in.....
Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
ChemDawg99
DC Crew

Member #59115

My Corvette(s)
2009 Z51 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Monterey View Post
Thanks for your post. It's interesting how little response my question generated. I come from the Import Car camp. My last Detroit vehicle was a 1970's Chevy pick up truck. Way back in the dawn of time, I drove almost exclusively Detroit iron, back then I was young and did not have the car bug mainly because I had no financial resources. My biggest concern was the price of the tires. I remember that I could only afford retreads back then

Anyway, since I got into the car enthusiast category, I've been driving Japanese or Euro high performance cars. For those, the tire choices are plentiful and I have a pretty good idea of what to use. However, the C6 is quite a different car from my previous cars. It has a huge engine with lots of torque, it's a rear wheel drive car and its is longer, the tires are much larger, etc. I would think that the Corvette owners would have a lot of experience and strong opinions about tires. It's surprising to see how uninterested they seem to be about things that other car enthusiasts are quite involved in.....
IMHO, the reason for the low response is simply because the questions/opinions concerning run-flat tires/best tire for the Vette has been posted on here a number of times. A lot of what I said in my previous post has been said before. The bottom line on tires for the Vette depends on a number of factors. If ultra-performance/competion is high on your list, you might find run-flats a bit lacking in that area. If safety and the security of run-flats is more important, there are a number of alternatives out there to the stock Goodyears that deliver a better ride, but might be a little short on quality in comparison. Based on your stated use of your Vette, you might find that running what you already have will suffice and save your cash.
Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
-Mr. Spock
Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
06 Monterey
DC Crew

Member #61155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemDawg99 View Post
IMHO, the reason for the low response is simply because the questions/opinions concerning run-flat tires/best tire for the Vette has been posted on here a number of times.
I can understand that. However, I don't really want to discuss run flat vs. non-run flat tires. I was hoping to read something like:
The Yokohama Advan A046 is really the best because..... or
The BF Goodrich T/A KDW2 is great for handling and is very quiet, or some other comments like that. I don't need to read generic comments about the run flat vs the others. I would like to read about actual first hand experience with specific brands and models of tires. For example, the TOYO TS1 vs the Hankook RS2 or the Michelin Pilot Sport vs. the Avon Tech M550.

It would be good to have actual empirical data about specific brands and models so it would be easier to actually purchase or avoid those exact tires...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
ChemDawg99
DC Crew

Member #59115

My Corvette(s)
2009 Z51 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Monterey View Post
I can understand that. However, I don't really want to discuss run flat vs. non-run flat tires. I was hoping to read something like:
The Yokohama Advan A046 is really the best because..... or
The BF Goodrich T/A KDW2 is great for handling and is very quiet, or some other comments like that. I don't need to read generic comments about the run flat vs the others. I would like to read about actual first hand experience with specific brands and models of tires. For example, the TOYO TS1 vs the Hankook RS2 or the Michelin Pilot Sport vs. the Avon Tech M550.

It would be good to have actual empirical data about specific brands and models so it would be easier to actually purchase or avoid those exact tires...
Okay, I certainly would not want your thread to turn into a debate over run-flats vs. non-run flats, but that was not my intent if you read my responses carefully.

As for empirical knowledge of Vette tires, I can only speak on C5 tires as I don't drive a C6. That said, a lot of the tires for a C5 come in C6 sizes (the tires on a C5 are an inch smaller in diameter than the C6)

-Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS EMT: Good tire (IMHO) that has decent wet and dry traction and excellent tread wear (depending on your driving style, you can put 20k-30k of mileage on them before you replacing). Best of the run-flat tires out there since they are the only ones that can go 200 miles at 55 mph at zero pressure. Bear in mind that I am talking about C5 OEM tires and not the C6, which I understand to be softer and not as much road noise than the C5 EMT.

-Michelin Pilot A/S Zero Pressure: Again, I am speaking about the C5 size tire though I am sure there is a C6 size tire out there. Delivers a softer ride than OEM C5 tires with less road noise. Personally, I like the way they ride, but I am not a fan of how they look on a C5. The rim flange protector sort of detracts from the look of the wheels on a C5. I always noticed the tire before I noticed the wheels when I had them on my old '01 vert.

Again, I can only give you empirical knowledge on the C5 tires. Hopefully, someone can chime in and give you some knowledge on C6 tires. IMHO, considering your stated driving habits, you might be better off just sticking with your stock tires. Peace
-Mr. Spock
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
speed counts
DC Crew

Member #60200

My Corvette(s)
2007 c6 convertible

a couple of tires that I have run

On my 2005 vette I ran the stock tires thru 24K miles. The stock tires were chewed up and gone. I like the stock tires for cornering. I thought the tires handled hard corners well. I did not like the tires for traction wet or dry. I run my vette fairly hard. On my new 2007 vette I put Pirelli Rosso's. They are just the oposite of the stock tires. They are quieter.They have great traction dry and wet but do not corner as good as the stock. This is just my observation so far. I only have 1.3K on my new vette and I have not beat the crap out of it yet.
speed counts is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
cadguymark
DC Crew

Member #52865

I have not used them but people who use Michelin Pilot sSport PS2 all say it is a great replacement if you don't mind going with a non-run flat. Lasts longer, less noise, better ride comfort. I may go with it when it is time, the other tire I am considering is BFG KDW2.

but I could end up sticking with what it came with
cadguymark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
06 Monterey
DC Crew

Member #61155

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I hope I get a few more with different first hand experiences. I've found this is the best way to get truthful info about products...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
louloumax
DC Crew

Member #57321

My Corvette(s)
2007 MonteRed coupe 6speed

i'm not pushing the company, but if you go on the tire rack website you can compare tires. and since there are not that many choices for the c6 it doesn't take days to do it. there are reviews by owners of each brand on various car makes and graphs and ratings for dry traction, wet traction, etc.
i've always felt that people don't like to admit it if they made a mistake, so take the accolads with a grain of salt. another thing that you have to watch is most buyers who rave about a new tire brand don't wait till they have 5k on them. after 500 miles they are saying how quiet and great they are. well sure, all new tires feel good till they get some miles on them. look for ratings from buyers who really try them out for awhile before rating the tires.
hope that helps.
louloumax is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Modifications:
shortened shifter 1/2"
installed gen-u-wine #7 pool ball as shifter knob
removed clutch assist spring
plasticoated pedals for better grip
shortened clutch pedal travel by installing spacer on back of pedal
exoticvette.com trunk divider--isolates the trunk. duh.
eliminated 1st to 4th shift nazi switch
oh, and i removed the GM emblems on the rear quarter panels

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.".---Groucho Marx
Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
midnite902
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #36958

My Corvette(s)
05 C6 Z51 DSOM 1SX, MN6 Built by 21st Century Musclecars

I haven't had a bad set yet but here is my ranking of the ones I have had.

1. Yokohama Adven - truly an amazing tire so far.
Best so far at harnessing my power in first and second
2. Goodyear GSD3 - Great tire, great traction and wear but largest rear is 295
3. Bridgestone RE05a - Great tire with the largest rear being 305 for the 19
4. GoodYear F1 RFs - a really good tire that works well when warm.
midnite902 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
C6 Z51 1SX, MN6, Stroked LS7 442ci, TrickFlow 225 Heads, 21CMC Road Race Cam, Kooks,
Balanced Z06 Clutch/Flywheel, Callaway CAI, Ported Fast90, Polished TB, LPE 100mm MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo,
Ron Davis Radiator, Dewitts Hi-Flow, CCW C-10 275s/325s Bridgestone RE05a

534rwhp 512rwtq -

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
drivinfast
DC Crew

Member #52289

My Corvette(s)
06 C6 M6 Z51 LT3

I drove Nissan 260z and 300zx turbo and mit 3000. vette is so much better

I traded my 2004 C5 base for a 2006 Mn6, Z51. The 2004 run flats were very loud. Driving away from the dealer in the 2006 the run flats were a lot quieter. Had them for 400 miles. Then they were stolen along with the wheels.

The replacement Toyo Proxes4 and the Z06 10x18 and 11x19 replicas they are on are totally different to me. front 275 wide.. Rear 295 wide-smaller dia tire than it needs to be but I chose it anyway. they corner well, grab better, very good in the rain, once I got used to them very predictable, I put bilstein sports on, now even more predictable. oh yes the car is lowered too. I suppose if you keep your aluminum wheels the steering would be "lighter" for lack of a better word.

Down side they are regular tires. I bought a jack, a tire patch kit, an air compressor I consider essential without runflats.
drivinfast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
cadguymark
DC Crew

Member #52865

I have no problem with sticking with GY except for the cost to miles driven, they ARE expensive, I think the lack of wet handling is a bit overblown, maybe people are referring to track conditions. It is a given sticky tires will wear out sooner. On a Vette, or any expensive car for that matter, I place a premium on wet and dry handling, cheap insurance IMO, it's what keeps you on the road. Sticky tires are also fun.

I have tried a number of brands over the years and found out something you may want to keep in mind. Tires are constantly being updated, this years hot tire is obsolete 3 years from now. So keep an open mind, a crappy tire a couple years ago does not mean the same company makes crappy tires today. Nor the best 3 years ago still the best. There are trends though, in general I find GY is harder after a number of miles driven, not the best wet tire or for being quiet. Michelin are pretty consistant for being a quality tire in all areas and among the best. I had a set of Dunlop that I thought were great but wore out quick, the Pirelli that followed were even better, among the best I have ever had if not the best, but that was almost ten years ago.

I agree with checking out Tire Rack reviews, when you get a high number of reviews it tends to average out, minimising extreme responses, and you get an idea what people have found out about them, I wouldn't simply buy the one at the top of the list though.
cadguymark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #14
06 Monterey
DC Crew

Member #61155

I came from the import camp into the Corvette camp and I was surprised to see how few choices there are in tires for our cars. Also, the import car folks are forever discussing tires. The AWD cars such as the EVO and STi have a lot of good tire choices. I agree with midnite902 about the Yoko Advans. The EVO comes with Yokohama Advan A046 tires and those are phenomenal in all aspects except wear (the don't last very long).

Tirerack does have a good number of tires for sale and they also have some pretty good information. I like their evaluations and tests of various tires. I also think that the customer reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt as people will sing the praises of whatever choice they made. OTOH, there are some reviews that hold no punches.....

In my experience, the biggest issue with tires for the C6 is that they have different sizes for front and rear. Also, the tire sizes are very large and not commonly available in all brands and models. Of course, since they are so big and relatively rare, they are also quite expensive. I've bought very good high performance tires for my EVO for relatively cheap prices (around $500 per set)
the tires for the Miata were even cheaper! I see that for the C6, the tires are likely to cost nearly 3 times what the EVO tires cost For this reason alone, it's very wise I think to carefully research the subject and try to get the best tires for my application. Unfortunately, very high performance, sticky tires with great dry traction tend to sacrifice wet traction and they definitely have very quick wear characteristics. Also, I want a tire that has a comfortable ride and is relatively quiet.... Alas, those combinations are really hard to get.... I hope I can find the ideal compromise before I need to purchase my next set of tires.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #15
jmaal13
DC Crew

Member #39741

My Corvette(s)
TORCH RED C5

This is what i got

I really enjoyed my michelin PS2 tires. Unfortunately, I only went from run flat to these tires so i dont have any other comparison. The road noise went from 30db to about 2 db. Bumps in the road dont hit nearly as hard and coasting is very smooth. I dont drive in the rain so i can't offer accurate wet traction info. I also don't corner hard alot, but the couple times i did to avoid something, the car stayed planted on the ground at maybe 40 mph. For my driving style, I am happy with the tire's performance. Outside of corvette, i have used the nitto nt555. Its a much cheaper tire, relatively quiet, however i am not sure how it hook up at take off. The side walls tend to break off chunks pretty easily if you hit a curb or something. Sticks to the ground pretty well but i havent tested it with corvette power.
jmaal13 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My C5 is torch red, with that being said:
TORCH EM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.