Cockpit heat and insulation, lots of pics - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
DeeVeeEight
DC Crew

Member #60406

My Corvette(s)
1979 L-82 5 Speed

Cockpit heat and insulation, lots of pics

Like so many of us, my C3 is really hot inside. I decided to take out the seats and carpet and install some reflectix insulation. This is what was under the carpet, some old Reflectix, sort of half ast installed.

OMG! BUBBA WAS HERE!
Do you think this might be the source of some of that heat?

The shift boot is too small to cover this massive hole.

I cut some coil stock and fabricated a patch. Not much better than what Bubba did, but it should keep out the elements.

Now the shift boot has something to be attached to.

I tried to keep a solid sheet of reflectix in as many areas as possible. A 6 foot long piece is enough to cover from the firewall to behind the seats, all you have to do is tuck and cut along the way to fit it in nicely. Foil tape keeps the seams neat and tight. Reflectix is available at Lowe's, this insulation project cost under $50.00.

DeeVeeEight is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
if you don't ask, you get the same answer as no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Double_Take
DC Crew

Member #48594

My Corvette(s)
1970 Coupe (sold), 1970 coupe

Thanks for the writeup. Now all you need is a road test! Get out and bring us some positive data.
Double_Take is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
DeeVeeEight
DC Crew

Member #60406

My Corvette(s)
1979 L-82 5 Speed

I am waiting for the big brown truck to bring some new parts this week. I need to get the new carburetor installed before I do any more driving. I also have a new alumiinum radiator on the way and a rebuilt steering box from GTR1999 should arrive later this week.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
sfallison
DC Crew

Member #13653

My Corvette(s)
1975 Yellow T-top

I did the same thing for my '75. Started at the firewall, and went all the way to the back ! Also, pulled the door panels and put it there too.
sfallison is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
S.F. Allison

I am Shakespeare of Borg - Prepare to be or not to be
Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
stingraze
DC Crew

Member #4744

My Corvette(s)
1973 Corvette 4-speed

Looks great. Does it make a noticeable difference for the amount of effort. I have quit driving mine until summer is over due to the heat. I will be interested in hearing the results.
stingraze is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Turbo84
DC Crew

Member #54556

My Corvette(s)
1969 427 5spd, 1984 turbo 6spd

A bit off topic, but I'm curious what transmission you're running. The shifter bracket (and console plate) looks identical to mine (I'm running a Doug Nash 5 spd), and I'm bolting the shifter to the rear position. Everything bolted in without cutting (although it is stinking tight). Just curious (from a technical standpoint) about the difference between your packaging issues and what I have.
Let us know your impressions of the insulation changes after you've had the opportunity to put some miles on the car. It certainly ought to be a noticeable noise and heat improvement over the stock stuff.
Turbo84 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
ecordeddie
DC Crew

Member #42347

My Corvette(s)
79 w/ an aftermarket Tri Star Performance 355

I see you have a '79. So do I. I redid mine as well two winters ago. Re-sealing the passenger side air vent door and making sure your hood weather strip is good also goes a long way in blocking un-wanted hear from getting it.

Re-plug any dash firewall holes you can find too!
ecordeddie is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Shut the hell up and hit the gas...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Strider
DC Crew

Member #38745

My Corvette(s)
A 871 blown 75 bigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfallison View Post
I did the same thing for my '75. Started at the firewall, and went all the way to the back ! Also, pulled the door panels and put it there too.
I also did the same thing but really wasn't happy with the results. I really didn't notice a big difference. The first time I used felt and the stock carpet. The second time I used super dyna mat for the 1st layer and then another layer from Lowel's. It was no better then the felt.
I also did a double layer inside the doors and Tee roofs
Strider is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
DeeVeeEight
DC Crew

Member #60406

My Corvette(s)
1979 L-82 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo84 View Post
A bit off topic, but I'm curious what transmission you're running. The shifter bracket (and console plate) looks identical to mine (I'm running a Doug Nash 5 spd), and I'm bolting the shifter to the rear position. Everything bolted in without cutting (although it is stinking tight). Just curious (from a technical standpoint) about the difference between your packaging issues and what I have.
Let us know your impressions of the insulation changes after you've had the opportunity to put some miles on the car. It certainly ought to be a noticeable noise and heat improvement over the stock stuff.
It's a Richmond 5 Speed (same thing). I did not do the original transmission installation, I bought the car that way, so I can't tell you much about the modifications, other than the humongous hole in the trans tunnel.

I am sure that sealing up the hole in the trans tunnel will be a major improvement. There was a whole lot of hot air coming in from there. The new Holley carburetor is being installed today, so I will hopefully have some feedback for you tomorrow.
Tonight - ROAD TEST!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
JPhil
DC Crew

Member #58687

My Corvette(s)
73 sbc coupe

I've taken a slightly different approach: I insulated the outside of the cabin. While the drivetrain was out, I put selfsticking R3 foil-back duct insulation on the outside bottom of the car from the firewall footwells back to the gas tank.
I also put a layer of it on the footwell splashguards.
In conjunction with the OEM trans tunnel blanket, I made a trans tunnel 'horseshoe' from a rolled up 24" X 24" piece of foil-back 1/2" fiberglas insulation stripped from a house A/C coil box. I also used other pieces of the same under the floor mats inside.
My idea is to keep the heat away from the mass of the body rather than reduce the radiation once it is in the body.
I only have a few days and a couple hundred miles on it, but with temps in the mid 90s and sitting in an open parking lot all day, it does seem to have helped some. We will have to see if this idea is a good one or not in the long run, but I'm trying it. Someday when I get into the interior, I'll do all that
Wrapping my headers also made a big big difference, I'd like to wrap more of the exhaust in the future.

Another trick I did was to open up my sealed off rear "Astro-Vent" doors behind the seats so my rear vents actually work. I cobbled up a flapper door from plastic cut from a gun case, made duct tape hinges and velcro latches. This was just to see if it worked, and it does, very nicely. This winter I will fab an official door for it. The airflow through the cabin when this door is open is great--there is a breeze when the windows are up, and noticably reduced wind buffeting in the cabin when the windows are down.

Later, John
JPhil is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'73 coupe
"Kill the Buddha"
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
DeeVeeEight
DC Crew

Member #60406

My Corvette(s)
1979 L-82 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhil View Post
I've taken a slightly different approach: I insulated the outside of the cabin. While the drivetrain was out, I put selfsticking R3 foil-back duct insulation on the outside bottom of the car from the firewall footwells back to the gas tank.
I also put a layer of it on the footwell splashguards.
In conjunction with the OEM trans tunnel blanket, I made a trans tunnel 'horseshoe' from a rolled up 24" X 24" piece of foil-back 1/2" fiberglas insulation stripped from a house A/C coil box. I also used other pieces of the same under the floor mats inside.
My idea is to keep the heat away from the mass of the body rather than reduce the radiation once it is in the body.
I only have a few days and a couple hundred miles on it, but with temps in the mid 90s and sitting in an open parking lot all day, it does seem to have helped some. We will have to see if this idea is a good one or not in the long run, but I'm trying it. Someday when I get into the interior, I'll do all that
Wrapping my headers also made a big big difference, I'd like to wrap more of the exhaust in the future.

Another trick I did was to open up my sealed off rear "Astro-Vent" doors behind the seats so my rear vents actually work. I cobbled up a flapper door from plastic cut from a gun case, made duct tape hinges and velcro latches. This was just to see if it worked, and it does, very nicely. This winter I will fab an official door for it. The airflow through the cabin when this door is open is great--there is a breeze when the windows are up, and noticably reduced wind buffeting in the cabin when the windows are down.

Later, John

Hey John,

Sounds like some good ideas that you have there. I also treid making a trans tunnel seal out of some pipe insulation. I tucked it in between the transmission and the tunnel just behind the bell housing.

Do you have any pictures of your "Astro Doors" that you modified? I might like to try that approach as well.

Thanks!

Lee
Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #12
JPhil
DC Crew

Member #58687

My Corvette(s)
73 sbc coupe

DV8,
I don't think the vents will work for you--that's for the flat window coupes with the louvers behind the window. Non-A/C cars had an atmospheric vacuum operated flapper to let them open for venting, but A/C cars just had them blocked off with fixed plates screwed on.
JPhil is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'73 coupe
"Kill the Buddha"
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #13
DeeVeeEight
DC Crew

Member #60406

My Corvette(s)
1979 L-82 5 Speed

Oh well, it never hurts to ask....
Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Turbo84
DC Crew

Member #54556

My Corvette(s)
1969 427 5spd, 1984 turbo 6spd

[QUOTE=DeeVeeEight;854842]Like so many of us, my C3 is really hot inside. I decided to take out the seats and carpet and install some reflectix insulation. This is what was under the carpet, some old Reflectix, sort of half ast installed............................... ........................................ ...

........................................ ........................................ .....

While waiting for parts (new third gear set) for my transmission repair I got bored and decided to replace the anchor-like shifter bracket that I had been using. I've still got some massaging to do on it, but it's a boatload lighter than the steel bracket.

Turbo84 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.